RE: [FJGRailroad] October 10 Get Together and FJ&G Flanger

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 12, 2009
      Good morning Joe,

      As we have set p in the past speaking at dinner is not appropriate in as much as we are not in a separate room but set up together, banquet style among the regular patrons.  Set up has never stifled discussions but not really a situation for a speaker.

      We will meet at the museum in the am 9:30 or earlier.   I'll do a presentation on the Mountain Lake line schedued for 10, but usually this follows intros and catching up, so may run late.  We do show and tell with items, photos, maps artifacts etc. brought by attendees; discuss Q&A, hopes and desires all relating to the FJ&G, it's history and preservation of the memories.

      Lunch then afterward a tour along the former Mountain Lake right of way through the reseervoir property - usually off limits ot the general public.

      After this the time is open.  We tend to head off to see what's left - a walk along parts of the line.  This year I think some might want to see the remnants of the Gloversville round houses which are showing and could be opened up to demonstrate their location - foundations and pits, turntable pit is deeper but could also be dug out as a visual reminder of what once was for bike path users.  THe Swanton historical society did that for the engine housde and turntable in their town which turned out very well.  I was surprised to see how easy this would be for Gloversville.  The later pm is also a good time to head up to Sacandaga to check out the flanger and the restored depot for those who haven't seen them yet.

      Sitting for dinner is planned for 5:30 and is off the menu.  Figure two hours for dinner.  Prices vary depending on taste.  The menu is broad enough to suit most preferences.  Its a good restaurant with a railroad flavor - the building was for years the home of Scotties Tavern, owned by Scott Houghtelling and his wife, both former FJ&G employees.  Scott was the second Scott H. to work for the FJ&G, along with two of his uncles, Charles who completed his career with the FJ&G and Van who went to the B&M as an engineer.

      It will be a full and interesting day, all made possible by the fellowship of those who attend.

      PKL

      To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: riverlinejoe@...
      Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:28:10 +0000
      Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] October 10 Get Together and FJ&G Flanger

      I have forgotten, How much is the dinner? If you wish, I will ask him to speak to us at dinner about scrapping the equipment. I will pick up his dinner. Having said that, I would also like to ask the Leader Herald if they have any interest in our activity.

      I have so much going on that I can not recall, did we settle on a specific agenda? Meeting in the morning, MLE Ry walk in the afternoon? Dinner at the Railyard at 5:30?

      To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: pklarner@hotmail. com
      Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 23:12:08 -0400

      I doubt many will be bringing proper gear to be prowling a salvage yard, besides some of us may have our wives with us.

      Dan is certainly welcome to join our group for the day and the dinner.  Not sure about picking up the check however.  My understanding is there will be a blurb in the local press about our presentation at the museum in the AM.  As you recall in 2007 a large number of local folks contributed to our morning meeting.

      PKL

      To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
      Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 01:33:49 +0000

      I was thinking of bringing the flanger to just outside of Johnstown. I do not think the flanger would be serviceable without a great deal of work. I have a place to put it.

      Dan Verklier is the guy who would move the car. Off the trucks it clears 12 feet, well below the 14 minimum for powerlines. Dan figures we could even pick up the track with a local guy and a truck that works like a flatbed wrecker.

      I believe we could get Dan to agree to a site visit  but in fairness we all have to wear appropriate gear. I think we should pay for his place at the dinner table and ask him to tell about how he moved the scrap equipment. It's a good story.

      To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: pklarner@hotmail. com
      Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 21:10:01 -0400

      Joe, I gathered you had a use for it down on the CM.  Moving it to Gloversville would simply be relieving the present owner of having it hauled away at his expense, or, as you say, selling the remaining metal after the wood returns entirely to dirt.  I don't think there is anyone in Gloversville who wants or has the wherewithal to deal with a dismantled former flanger requiring tremendous restoration.

      After the Mountian Lake trip, a quick look around the north end could fit in well.  Unless someone wants to do a presentation in the pm, the in between time is usually spent looking around for what ever is left.

      Might be interesting to go into Verkler's to see if that flat can be identified.

      PKL

      To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
      Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 00:01:02 +0000

      I will see if the owner will allow us a visit. FWIW I believe I can arrange the trucking (not free, but I know a guy who says he can do it) and I have the place to put it unless we want it to go to Gloversville in which case good!

      I can build the track myself if I can get the material together.

      To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: pklarner@hotmail. com
      Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:56:03 -0400

      Hello Joe and all,

      We can all go up and inspect it on Oct. 10.  Maybe even persuadethe owner to donate it.

      Which reminds me to ask, do I have all our reservations for the dinner at the Railyard following our get together on Oct. 10th.  I want to confirm a number with the restaurant soon.  Please let me know, if you have not already done so, that you will be attending and whether or not you will be staying for dinner.  At present I have 15 of us.

      Right now I'm thinking an early dinner time to sit down, maybe 5:30.

      PKL

      To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
      Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 20:22:29 +0000
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Flanger

      All concerned. Gegt your photos of the Northville Flanger while you can. I inspected the car this past week and it looks to be in poor condition and getting worse. Much of the wood on the deck is crumbling to near dirt. The siding is also rotting. In discussion with the owner I was able to get from him that he wants "Way more" than $5,000.00 for the car.  Too bad it looks like it is just going to blow away to dust........ ..

      Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Try it now.

      Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up to on Facebook. Find out more.

      Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Try it now.

      Ready for Fall shows? Use Bing to find helpful ratings and reviews on digital tv's. Click here.

      Bing brings you health info from trusted sources. Try it now!
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 12, 2009
        Oops, what I forgot to add is, Dan could share his experiences scrapping the equipment with us in the later am.  It's a great opportunity for us if he's willing to do it.  How about planning Dan for 11 o'clock.

        Now for all - if anyone wishes to share their knowledge of the line, their modeling experiences (Steve ?) etc.  Please bring along your expertise and slides etc just let us all know so we can have a bit of a plan.  The only three definites now are with the theme - 10 am history and pics; 1 pm +/- trip over the ROW; 5:30 pm dinner.  A digital projector will be available; for slides please bring your own projection means.

        PKL

        To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: riverlinejoe@...
        Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:28:10 +0000

        To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
        From: pklarner@hotmail. com
        Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 23:12:08 -0400

        To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
        From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
        Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 01:33:49 +0000

        To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com

        From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
        Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 00:01:02 +0000

        To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 12, 2009
          For we out-landers some specifics as to locations: museum, restaurant, etc. please?
          Gordon

          From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
          Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:28:10 +0000

          To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
          From: pklarner@hotmail. com
          Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 23:12:08 -0400

          To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
          From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
          Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 01:33:49 +0000

          To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com

          From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
          Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 00:01:02 +0000

          To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 12, 2009
            Hello Gordon,

            Sorry about that.  Attached is a Gloversville map (old one) on which I noted the locations of the Museum, in red, and the restaurant, in green.  I also checked to see what the "directions and maps" feature of my MSN home page offered using "Fulton County Museum, Gloversville, NY" and "RailYard Restaurant, Gloversville NY" to search.  Each came up with a better map then the one I show.  For more specific references the Museum is at 237 Kingsboro Avenue, Gloversville and the restaurant is at 97 West Fulton Street.

            For those seeking motel acommodations there are motels in both Johnstown and Gloversville which information can be found googling the cities.

            With reference to my map:  the Arterial highway, route 30A, runs along the entire east line of the city of Gloversville.  The easiest way to reach the museum from 30A is to proceed north to the East State street intersection (next beyond the Walmart, McDonalds intersection), turn left and proceed to Kingsboro Avenue (at the Park), turn left proceed one block where the Museum is on your right on the south west corner.  There is a clarge ast Elk on the front lawn.

            Parking can be had in front in the parking lot behind the building which has a rear entrance.  This is a fine museum and I am sure will engage each of us for some time, in addition to our scheduled pursuits.

            Getting to Mountain Lake is a little more involved, but we will be motorcading up there, as well as to the flanger.  The flanger is off the right side of route 30 when traveling north, maybe a mile and one half south of Sacandaga Park.  Were the water low this year Cranberry Creek would be an interesting stop as well, if only to get a perspective of where the reservoir inundated the track.

            The approximate site of the Northville depot is marked by a state marker beside the approach to the Northville bridge from Rte 30.  Also marked is the site of the Adirondack Hotel near its former location.  The track location through the park area can be followed to the water' edge., near the highway to the bridge.

            For assistance on the day of the event call 518-424-6065.

            PKL

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: gdavis4@...
            Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:21:11 -0400

            From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
            Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:28:10 +0000

            To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
            From: pklarner@hotmail. com
            Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 23:12:08 -0400

            To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
            From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
            Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 01:33:49 +0000

            To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com

            From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
            Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 00:01:02 +0000

            To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 12, 2009

              To the group:

              I am planning to attend the get-together.  Are there any images any of you would specifically like to see from my collection?

              We've been talking about a lot of DO stuff... is that what some of you would like to see?  Also, we had a large discussion about the Trackmobile a while back, and of the scrapping.  Perhaps that would also make an interesting photo journey which we have not taken on the large screen in the past.

              We also discussed many of the station records from Broadalbin; perhaps that is a source of discussion as well.

              I will zip through whatever the group cares to see, or will show up with Broadabin station records, or whatever.

              The color images of the steam era are always a big hit and those could make another appearance as well.

              Let me know what you all think.  The request lines will be open between now and the date of the meeting.  I will only bring what you want to see.

              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 13, 2009
                Aaron,

                Bring your DO and FJG Steam in color!!!!

                Gino

                Sent from my iPhone

[...]

              • Charles Vosburgh
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 8, 2010
                  Paul;  I was going through some of my old Model Railroader magazines when I found a story about the FJ&G flanger that the railroad had built in 1890 in their own shops.  The car was numbered 10 and was a 30' box car with wood beam trucks.  David L. Waddington drew the plans for this car from official railroad blueprints for the magazine and the story was in the January 1955 issue.  The story had three photos of the car as well.  Was the flanger in Northville the same one with the changes to how it is now?  I don't have a scaner to make copies so I can't pass this story to you.  The story says that the car was still in service at the time the story was published.  Charlie
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 8, 2010

                    I think that flanger was still in use up until they bought the former D&H flanger.  I have photos of the shop-made flanger if someone hasn't seen it...

                    Gino

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 8, 2010
                      I'll answer.

                      No, the Northville flanger is not the same flanger.  The Northville flanger was purchased from the D&H in the 1950s and is a standard D&H design.

                      At least two former D&H flangers are in service:  one on the Vermont Railway out of Rutland; the other on the Batten Kill out of Greenwich, New York.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 8, 2010
                        Hello Charlie,

                        The old flanger 10 was inded built from an old "hay" car or box car as we would know it. The flanger along the right of way south of Sacandaga Park, S-2, was purchased from the D&H in 1957.  I have not discovered its D&H number.  I believe there are a still few D&H flangers like it to be found around.

                        Paul

                        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                        From: crvosburgh@...
                        Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 20:36:46 -0500

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 9, 2010
                          Thanks Gino, Aaron, and Paul for the info,  never know what you might find in the old magazines.  Charlie

                          To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                          From: crvosburgh@citlink. net
                          Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 20:36:46 -0500

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 9, 2010
                            I've got to look for that issue now!

                            Gino

                            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                            From: crvosburgh@...
                            Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 20:36:46 -0500

                            Paul;  I was going through some of my old Model Railroader magazines when I found a story about the FJ&G flanger that the railroad had built in 1890 in their own shops.  The car was numbered 10 and was a 30' box car with wood beam trucks.  David L. Waddington drew the plans for this car from official railroad blueprints for the magazine and the story was in the January 1955 issue.  The story had three photos of the car as well.  Was the flanger in Northville the same one with the changes to how it is now?  I don't have a scaner to make copies so I can't pass this story to you.  The story says that the car was still in service at the time the story was published.  Charlie

                            http://fjgrr.org
                            http://ginosrailpage.com
                            http://ginostrolleypage.com
                            http://ginosmusicservice.com
                          • Charles Vosburgh
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 10, 2010
                              Gino;  You also might want to look for the July1966 issue of Trains magazine for a story on the Brill Bullets by William D Middleton.  It includes a short description of the FJ&G cars.  Charlie

                              To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 10, 2010
                                I may have that!

                                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com