Re: [FJGRailroad] arrival of the103

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2009
      I never have found an official source to indicate when the 103 showed up. The newspapers mentioned when the 20 and 21 were about to be taken off the line but never said when the new engines came. I tried piecing it together based on the dates of known photographs and conductor's car lists.

      The unit was painted when it showed up on the FJ&G. It was never in R&S paint on the FJ&G. It was already maroon and was lettered for the LASB. The engine got lettered for the FJ&G while it was in Gloversville.

      -Aaron
    • johnsesonske
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2009
        On 11-13-1979 the R&S 31 arrived on the FJG in Gloversville in full R&S yellow and black paint. The paint was still pure R&S with no line outs, paint outs or DO markings. I have a picture (110 film unfortunately) of it chained to the Gloversville TOFC ramp that day (brake issues).

        It was then stored inside Coleco at Patch Road.

        2-4-1980 was the first day I saw 103 operating and it was in the new maroon and gold and was lettered as LASB 103. It never operated in the R&S paint. Since I checked the yard almost everyday, I assume this was close to the first day it operated. My notes don't mention it but I am 99% sure it was painted in the Gloversville Shops. They painted in the small building on the south side of the main engine house. 6-15-1981 is the approx. date the 103 was relettered as FJG 103. It was builder number 80110 and build date June 1952. Once the 103 went into service I do not believe 21 ever ran again. 20 and 103 served until the 100 showed up. 103 served the FJG as the main engine from 2-4-1980 until the very last run.

        The story is that the LASB 102 was to go to the new DO line called Kingston Terminal (KTER). LASB 103 was to replace 102. But 20 and 21 were having issues and they decided to keep 103 on the FJG.

        I do believe 102 was the first unit painted in the maroon and gold.

        On 4-6-1981 KTER 100 showed up on FJG in maroon and gold. This was ex DH ex CACV. Not sure where this was painted but I do not think it was Gloversville. The 100 had builder number 77573 and build date of November 1949. On approx 5-16-1981 KTER 100 was relettered FJG 100. The arrival of 100 marked the end of 20.

        I have extensive notes on FJG ops from 1979 thru 1984. I also have a record of cars coming onto the FJG from mid 1976 thru 1984. It does not cover all cars but is a good representation of traffic and customers during the period. All above is still hand written.

        John Sesonske

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 5, 2009
          Thanks, John, I do stand corrected! No one else I've met had seen that unit on the FJ&G without maroon paint.

          I'm pretty sure the 21 ran longer than the 20... or at least that's what the available photos indicate.

          The 100 was painted in Milford on the CACV, I'm pretty sure.

          -Aaron

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
            Re: FJ&G 20 or 21 being the stronger of the two, according to a really good article in the August 1983 issue of RailsNortheast by some kid from downstate. The 20 was sidelined because of a recurring electrical problem. In words that the author assures us came directly from the guy in the shop, number 21 was the stronger of the two engines. Further the piece states that both engines were pointed toward Gloversville to afford the best ventilation while climbing the 2.8% grade out Fonda.

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

> [...]

            > I know this was all discussed some time back but it's far enough back that trying a quick search of messages didn't even get me close to the answer. What I'm seeking is details of the 103's arrival... what date did it actually first arrive on the FJ&G, was it already in full DO paint with LASB lettering when it got there or in Roberval & Saguneay yellow, and if it was painted when it arrived, where was it painted and did it see CACV or LASB rails before it got to the FJ&G? Seems to me the possibilities are that it arrived on the FJG in yellow R&S paint and was painted at he FJ&G shop, was repainted somewhere "in transit", or had fo some reason been painted on the CACV, cNYK, or LASB before arrival. Also since the LASb 102 is generally regarded as the first maroon DO unit (painted in Sept. '79), was the 103 on the DO property somewhere unrepainted before that date, or was the 103 actually the first maroon unit?

            Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Try it now.
          • johnsesonske
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
              As you and Aaron stated, FJG 21 was pretty much the only engine used for many years. I first started paying attention to the FJG around 1972 and for years I would guess that 20 did not run more then a couple times per year, usually only when 21 had an issue. Yes, they both pointed north.

              In Spring 1979 both 20 and 21 started being used on a regular basis as track work was going on. 21 usually got assigned to a TrailerTrain TOFC flat car with a highway ditching truck loaded on it. This outfit was ditching along the tracks. 20 was used more often on freight moves along with 21.

              My notes show that once 103 started running, 21 was shut down and 20 became the second engine used until 100 showed up. Sounds odd given the history but its true. Something must have happened to 21. I have a note stating that on 6-28-1980 21 was sitting with its stack capped and horn removed while 20 was still in service. The 20 was shutdown when 100 arrived.

              John

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 7, 2009
                I would like to see a photo of the R&S unit in that scheme when it first arrived on the property. By the way what was the R&S?

                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                From: jsesonske@...
                Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 03:22:07 +0000

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 7, 2009
                  One day I would like to see your notes......

                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  From: jsesonske@...
                  Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 03:22:07 +0000

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 7, 2009
                    Roberval & Saguenay in Canada.

                    Reading 492 > R&S 31 > LASB 103 > FJ&G 103 > * > RDG 492.

                    The asterisk (*) indicates that the engine was sold by DO to General Electric. Walter Rich told me it was used as a trade-in for the B40-8s.

                    The URHS of New Jersey bought the engine back from GE and repainted it in its original Reading scheme.

                    -Aaron
                  • johnsesonske
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 7, 2009
                      I'll try scanning the 110 print.

                      R&S = Roberval & Saguenay

                      Go to this website
                      http://www.trainweb.org/rosters/RS.html

                      The following info is from the website below
                      http://www.urhs.org/roster.html

                      Reading 492 [Click for picture]
                      Builder: American Locomotive Company (ALCO)
                      Model: RS3
                      Builder's Number: 80110
                      Built: 1952
                      Horsepower: 1600
                      Original Owner: Reading Company
                      History: This locomotive was used in freight service by the Reading RR and frequently saw service on the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines in south Jersey. On October 26, 1973, it was sold to the United Railway Supply of Montreal, Quebec and subsequently acquired by the Roberval & Saguenay Railway as their No. 31. By the late 1970s, it was acquired by the Delaware Otsego System and renumbered as the Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville 103, but painted in the attractive maroon scheme of the DO System. The locomotive was acquired from the General Electric Company by the URHS in 1989. In the fall of 1991, the locomotive was restored into the original Reading Company livery by Tony Zisa with help from the members of the Bergen-Rockland Chapter of the NRHS.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 7, 2009
                        Thank you............Whos got a picture?

                        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 7, 2009
                          Joe--
                          If you go to this website and look at the photo of R&S 20 (its the 5th photo from the top), that is the exact paint scheme that 31 had when it arrived in Gloversville. I just looked at my print and the numbers were painted out on it when it arrived. I'll try and scan the print tomorrow.

                          http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/shortlines/RS_roster.htm

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 8, 2009
                            Thanks

                            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com