RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&GS

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2009
      Given that I got it for Five bucks along with a bunch of other stuff, I am sure I was not being taken. It looks completely authentic. The stamping looks correct. I just had never seen F.J. & G.S.

      Funny thing is that the guy threw in this shovel that looked like it had seen better days. I was in Johnstown and had forgotten a shovel and I was doing some masonry work and needed the shovel.
      So this morning I get up and get things ready and I am mixing the mortar and I look at the handle of the shovel. It has the letters NYCR...............

      What a nice surprise...........

      To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: pklarner@...
      Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:48:00 -0400
      Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&GS

      Probably  "S"team division, if it is a section man's tool, which is what I described using.   Really don't know for sure; can only guess from what information I have acquired.  Now, if this is a chisel used in the carpenter shop - don't know what the S could signify.

      Using S or E was a practice on the road though how common, I don't know.  There exists a series of switch style keys marked for the electric division, but the S on most FJ&G locks and keys I have seen, I always considered to follow the practice of other roads to indicate "switch."

      The track chisels I am familiar with weighed maybe 6-10 pounds and were used to cut track bolts or rail.  They were also a bit longer than 6 inches, and were structured to be mounted on a standard sledge handle.  When a bolt couldn't be tightened we would cut the nut and replace the bolt, nut and washer.

      I suppose a question is: What do you think about the authenticity of the stamping?  Does it show age or appear recent, whatever that means for a railroad that has been gone for a generation?  What's the size of the stamping?

      Bring the chisel with you on October 10 and we can all have a look at it.

      PKL

      To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
      Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:28:49 +0000

      But what does the "S" stand for? And was adding the "S" the common practice?

      To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: pklarner@hotmail. com
      Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 02:03:32 -0400

      Sounds like the real McCoy.

      PKL

      To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
      Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 04:26:10 +0000

      Paul,
      Steel chisel, six inches long, F.J. & G. S. hammered into the side on three sides.
      Joe

      To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: pklarner@hotmail. com
      Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 23:52:47 -0400

      Joe,  You didn't say what kind of chisel, steel (heavy, with spike maul handle and used with another man wielding a spike maul) or wood.

      The FJ&G shop stamped their metal tools and lanterns; they also had a branding iron used to mark wood items - handles etc.  Have used FJ&G steel chisels to cut bolts, remove bond wires and on one occassion to cut a rail at Broadalbin.

      PKL

      To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
      Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 02:09:13 +0000
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] FJ&GS

      I bought a chisel Friday with the initials F.J. & G.S.

      In the opinion of the list, what is it?

      I already have Mr. Keller's opinion.

      By the way the Johnstown Historical Society is considering an FJ&G exhibit but they have zero in the way of FJ&G memorabilia. I am considering lending them (on a very temporary basis ) some FJ&G stuff. It would be returned to you. If you are intrested please conact me....

      Riverlinejoe

      Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up to on Facebook. Find out more.

      Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up to on Facebook. Find out more.

      Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Try it now.