RE: [FJGRailroad] Track Diagrams for Fonda

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31 4:36 PM
      Hello Jason,

      I'm on the road right now but can provide what you need when I get back to town.  The Sanborn's are nice but not always real when it comes to the traks and their locations.  The turntable you see on the map was the FJ&G table and was there during the fifties.

      Will be back Sunday when I can send you the plans.  If you don't hear by Monday remind me of site.

      PKL

      To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: dhc628@...
      Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 07:38:49 -0700
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] Track Diagrams for Fonda

      Hello all,

      I was wondering if anyone could point me to track diagrams for Fonda circa 1950 or so.  I am researching Fonda as a possible candidate for a single scene layout based on the NYC.  I have the Sanborn Fire Insurance maps that give me tremendous detail from the west end of town where the FJ&G and the NYC diverge after crossing Cayadutta Creek all the way back to around the Freight House at East St.  What I am looking for is a detailed diagram of the NYC tracks from the Freight House to whatever constitutes the end of any yard tracks or sidings that were considered part of Fonda.  I have found an online topographic map from 1902 but it does not show any details of a possible yard.

      Also, I have a question regarding something on the Sanborn map.  There is a turntable near where the FJ&G track connected to the NYC near Broadway.  Was this an FJ&G turntable or was it a shared thing with the NYC?  How long did this turntable last?  Was it in existence until 1955?

      Thanks,
      Jason Cook
      New Haven, IN