Fall Get Together

  • odakyu2003
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 16, 2009
      Remember, one can please some of the people some of the time, etc. etc. etc.
      May I suggest that those few who seem to form the core for this endeavor pick a date, set an agenda, etc. Those of us who can participate will do so. Should this become an annual event then long-term planning will allow fuller participation.
      Gordon
    • Richard Finn
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 16, 2009
        Hey Guys,

        Please allow me to offer some professional advice.  Any concrete patching work or painting should be done when 24 hour temperatures are above 50 F.  It can get cool at night in the mountains after after the sun goes down.  And don't forget the liquid bonding agent for the concrete patching.

        Dick

        On Jul 14, 2009, at 6:55 PM, Gino's Railpage wrote:

        Hi guys,

        Well, Paul and I were talking and thought we'd throw an idea out to the group.  What does
        October 3rd sound like?  We figure it's still nice out, usually not too rainy, the foliage will
        be nice and the Jewish holidays are out of the way.  A Mountain Lake Railroad Theme could
        be the theme.  We could set up a tour of the old Right-of-way, make a visit to the Fulton County
        Museum to see Eber Davis' Collection, spruce up the remaining mile-posts, take a bus ride,
        do some slide shows and show-and-tells and finish up with a nice dinner.

        Of course this is open to every one's input, but it definitely gives people time to make some travel plans.
        Also, the hotel rates are lower in October.

        Let us know what you all think and we'll go from there...

        Gino
        Italian #62

        --
        http://fjgrr. org
        http://ginosrailpag e.com

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 16, 2009
            I could use advice such as this.  What products would you recommend, Dick?

            My general thought is that --- if this group wants to chip in to do the repairs --- I could probably get together with a couple people and do the patching work this summer, and then we could do the painting as time allows.  Obviously several steps are involved, and as discussed, this could be a smaller work detail involving some of us who live a little closer to Gloversville.  Photos of course would be available to all, as well as the ability to visit.

            -Aaron

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 22, 2009
              Put me down for October 10th, and Kathy will be joining us for dinner - Mike also if he's home that weekend.
              Jerry

              From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
              Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 01:41:55 +0000

              I personally would prefer to do Mountain Lake in Late october after the foliage for two reasons. I am a volunteer on the Catskill Mountain Railroad and the foliage season is when we have heavy traffic. I will bne needed. Second anything worth seeing will be easier to spot after the foliage is down.

              To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
              From: Gino.Dicarlo@ qg.com
              Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 20:00:56 -0500

              Sorry Jerry,

              Forget about how old we are, how about how much of the day this would take?  It was just ideas.

              There's no way time-wise we could do all these activities.  If we wanted to get together to do

              the mile posts or Mountain Lake would have to be activities for different dates and times.  Also,

              the date isn't set in stone either.  So now, we have to see what is good for everyone and then see

              if there is a date that is consistent with most people.  Now we know that the 10th of October is

              good for you and that the end of October is good for Aaron.  I'm keeping tabs on all of this.  That's

              why I need some feedback!

              How dare you imply I was suggesting too much physical activity.  Me being 14 months

              pregnant is too much of a deterrent as it is!  I'll just count my blessings I'm not old like you!

              Gino

[...]

              You know, Gino, some of us aren't as young as we used to be - I got tired just reading the activity list!  Might be too much to try to do the Mountain Lake, mileposts, and museum et al all in the same day - maybe we could make the milepost work detail a separate expedition earlier?  I'm game for that.  In any case, I'm good with a gathering in the fall whatever we do, but 9/26 or 10/10 would be a lot better for my schedule.  Once we can set a date we can start to finalize the activities and make the necessary arrangements.

              Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Get 25 GB of free online storage. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 22, 2009
                Great Jerry, I'll grab you a wheelchair!  Being you're getting old and all!

                Gino

                From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
                Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 01:41:55 +0000

                To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 22, 2009
                  Thank you Jerry.

                  PKL

                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  From: handyman756@...
                  Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 18:24:49 -0700

                  From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
                  Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 01:41:55 +0000

                  To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

[...]

                  Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Store, access, and share your photos. See how.
                • Gordon Davis
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 23, 2009
                    I am planning on attending and also doing din-din.
                    Gordon Davis
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 23, 2009
                      Thank you Gordon.  Looking forward to meeting you in person.

                      PKL

                      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                      From: gdavis4@...
                      Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:56:45 -0400

                      I am planning on attending and also doing din-din.
                      Gordon Davis

                      NEW mobile Hotmail. Optimized for YOUR phone. Click here.
                    • Richard Finn
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 25, 2009
                        Hello Aaron,

                        I didn't forget about you, I just remembered you late.

                        The most important requirement of concrete patching is the correct and complete preparation of the substrate.  Like painting, it requires most of the time and effort spent to complete the project.  I am assuming that you have not had a lot of experience, so I am starting with the fundamentals.

                        Preparations:  Remove all loose and fractured concrete to a sound surface.  Leave the surface as rough as you are able for a structural bond between the substrate and the patch;  you will obtain a secure chemical induced bond from the products that you will use.  There are detailed prep requirements in the product literature (see below).

                        You will need a 2 or 3 lb. hammer (like a small sledge hammer), and some concrete hand chisels (1/2 " to 2") and points, small dust brushes a little more flexible that a whisk broom, an assortment of flat and pointed (triangular) trowels, and a wood float if you need to have a rough finished surface.  Also, mixing containers (wheel barrel), hoe, square and round "D" handle (short) shovels, clean containers for potable water, and a water spray bottle to clean the patches after dusting and prior to patching, and for adding the last few drops of water to the mix.

                        And don't forget goggles and/or safety glasses and work gloves.  I don't think that the volume of dust that you will raise will require a respirator.

                        I am assuming that you will not be located near a source of power.  If you are, there are electric hammers available with chisels and points that will make the job a lot easier and quicker.

                        There is a variety of mixes available, but I found a fairly new one that seems to be adequate/ideal for all patching conditions.  Below are the web addresses of the specific product system and the manufacturer's home page.  What I like about it is that it is quick setting but still has workable time.  Say that you have a 4 or 5 inch long corner missing, 2 inches deep.  With most cementious products a patch that size will sag and you will be unable to fill it and finish it at one pass.  With this product you are able to layer the patch thin enough to prevent sagging, and come back in 30 minutes to apply another layer.  Just use the point of the trowel to roughen the surface of each layer (except for the finish layer of course).  It is ideal for larger surface imperfections also.  If you come across a mile post that contains many cracks that would affect its structural integrity, you may not be able to salvage it.  The only solution would be to recast it in a mold(form).  Now that is a BIG deal, but not impossible.  Of course, you could reuse the form and make as many as you want.  But that would be another teaching moment.

                        My wife Sandra and I are coming up on 8/6 for the Railfest and some other sight seeing.  It is about a four hour drive for us.  We will be staying at the Holiday Inn in Johnstown.

                        Let me know what your plans are and if I can be of any more assistance.

                        Dick