Fall Get Together

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
      Hi guys,

      Well, Paul and I were talking and thought we'd throw an idea out to the group.  What does
      October 3rd sound like?  We figure it's still nice out, usually not too rainy, the foliage will
      be nice and the Jewish holidays are out of the way.  A Mountain Lake Railroad Theme could
      be the theme.  We could set up a tour of the old Right-of-way, make a visit to the Fulton County
      Museum to see Eber Davis' Collection, spruce up the remaining mile-posts, take a bus ride,
      do some slide shows and show-and-tells and finish up with a nice dinner.

      Of course this is open to every one's input, but it definitely gives people time to make some travel plans.
      Also, the hotel rates are lower in October.

      Let us know what you all think and we'll go from there...

      Gino
      Italian #62

      --
      http://fjgrr.org
      http://ginosrailpage.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
        I'd rather do it in mid-October... I usually wind up hiking when the foliage is nice... and a lot of people in this area go up north during the first two weeks of October during peak foliage.

        My two cents.

        -Aaron

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 15, 2009
          You know, Gino, some of us aren't as young as we used to be - I got tired just reading the activity list!  Might be too much to try to do the Mountain Lake, mileposts, and museum et al all in the same day - maybe we could make the milepost work detail a separate expedition earlier?  I'm game for that.  In any case, I'm good with a gathering in the fall whatever we do, but 9/26 or 10/10 would be a lot better for my schedule.  Once we can set a date we can start to finalize the activities and make the necessary arrangements.
          Jerry

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 15, 2009

            Sorry Jerry,

            Forget about how old we are, how about how much of the day this would take?  It was just ideas.

            There's no way time-wise we could do all these activities.  If we wanted to get together to do

            the mile posts or Mountain Lake would have to be activities for different dates and times.  Also,

            the date isn't set in stone either.  So now, we have to see what is good for everyone and then see

            if there is a date that is consistent with most people.  Now we know that the 10th of October is

            good for you and that the end of October is good for Aaron.  I'm keeping tabs on all of this.  That's

            why I need some feedback!

            How dare you imply I was suggesting too much physical activity.  Me being 14 months

            pregnant is too much of a deterrent as it is!  I'll just count my blessings I'm not old like you!

            Gino

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 15, 2009
              I personally would prefer to do Mountain Lake in Late october after the foliage for two reasons. I am a volunteer on the Catskill Mountain Railroad and the foliage season is when we have heavy traffic. I will bne needed. Second anything worth seeing will be easier to spot after the foliage is down.

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 15, 2009
                Sounds like a later date works better and that's fine.  Until we set a date no calls will be made.

                I'm thinking meet at the museum as usual in the 10:00 a.m. do a presentation on the Mountain Lake, talk, have a lunch then take a tour of the Mountain Lake ROW provided we can get permission.  It sounds like that won't be a problem though I think four wheel drive vehicles are the most effective for the trip but will confirm that as we go forward.  After that excursion we can return to the museum then go on our own till dinner at the Railyard at 5:30 or 6:00.  That ought to be a full day.

                I don't want to get into hunting season, nor should we get so late snow becomes a possibility though I thought we might see some around here this week.  How early does bow season or any other start in Fulton County?

                I know its not possible to please everyone.  We have Oct. 10, 17 or 24.  Do we do the 24th?  We should also watch the full moon for a better chance of high pressure - sunshine.

                PKL

                To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
                From: riverlinejoe@...
                Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 01:41:55 +0000

                To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

[...]

                Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Get 25 GB of free online storage. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.
              • Skip Barber
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 16, 2009
                  I have a wedding to attend in Kansas on October 24, so early October is good for me.  I would really like to attend.

                  Skip in Virginia

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 16, 2009
                    Remember, one can please some of the people some of the time, etc. etc. etc.
                    May I suggest that those few who seem to form the core for this endeavor pick a date, set an agenda, etc. Those of us who can participate will do so. Should this become an annual event then long-term planning will allow fuller participation.
                    Gordon
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 16, 2009
                      I would vote for the 24th.

                      To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com

                      From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
                      Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 01:41:55 +0000

                      To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 16, 2009
                            I could use advice such as this.  What products would you recommend, Dick?

                            My general thought is that --- if this group wants to chip in to do the repairs --- I could probably get together with a couple people and do the patching work this summer, and then we could do the painting as time allows.  Obviously several steps are involved, and as discussed, this could be a smaller work detail involving some of us who live a little closer to Gloversville.  Photos of course would be available to all, as well as the ability to visit.

                            -Aaron

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 22, 2009
                              Put me down for October 10th, and Kathy will be joining us for dinner - Mike also if he's home that weekend.
                              Jerry

                              From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
                              Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 01:41:55 +0000

                              To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 22, 2009
                                Great Jerry, I'll grab you a wheelchair!  Being you're getting old and all!

                                Gino

                                From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
                                Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 01:41:55 +0000

                                To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 22, 2009
                                  Thank you Jerry.

                                  PKL

                                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: handyman756@...
                                  Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 18:24:49 -0700

                                  From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
                                  Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 01:41:55 +0000

                                  To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

[...]

                                  Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Store, access, and share your photos. See how.
                                • Gordon Davis
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 23, 2009
                                    I am planning on attending and also doing din-din.
                                    Gordon Davis
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 23, 2009
                                      Thank you Gordon.  Looking forward to meeting you in person.

                                      PKL

                                      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: gdavis4@...
                                      Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:56:45 -0400

                                      I am planning on attending and also doing din-din.
                                      Gordon Davis

                                      NEW mobile Hotmail. Optimized for YOUR phone. Click here.
                                    • Richard Finn
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 25, 2009
                                        Hello Aaron,

                                        I didn't forget about you, I just remembered you late.

                                        The most important requirement of concrete patching is the correct and complete preparation of the substrate.  Like painting, it requires most of the time and effort spent to complete the project.  I am assuming that you have not had a lot of experience, so I am starting with the fundamentals.

                                        Preparations:  Remove all loose and fractured concrete to a sound surface.  Leave the surface as rough as you are able for a structural bond between the substrate and the patch;  you will obtain a secure chemical induced bond from the products that you will use.  There are detailed prep requirements in the product literature (see below).

                                        You will need a 2 or 3 lb. hammer (like a small sledge hammer), and some concrete hand chisels (1/2 " to 2") and points, small dust brushes a little more flexible that a whisk broom, an assortment of flat and pointed (triangular) trowels, and a wood float if you need to have a rough finished surface.  Also, mixing containers (wheel barrel), hoe, square and round "D" handle (short) shovels, clean containers for potable water, and a water spray bottle to clean the patches after dusting and prior to patching, and for adding the last few drops of water to the mix.

                                        And don't forget goggles and/or safety glasses and work gloves.  I don't think that the volume of dust that you will raise will require a respirator.

                                        I am assuming that you will not be located near a source of power.  If you are, there are electric hammers available with chisels and points that will make the job a lot easier and quicker.

                                        There is a variety of mixes available, but I found a fairly new one that seems to be adequate/ideal for all patching conditions.  Below are the web addresses of the specific product system and the manufacturer's home page.  What I like about it is that it is quick setting but still has workable time.  Say that you have a 4 or 5 inch long corner missing, 2 inches deep.  With most cementious products a patch that size will sag and you will be unable to fill it and finish it at one pass.  With this product you are able to layer the patch thin enough to prevent sagging, and come back in 30 minutes to apply another layer.  Just use the point of the trowel to roughen the surface of each layer (except for the finish layer of course).  It is ideal for larger surface imperfections also.  If you come across a mile post that contains many cracks that would affect its structural integrity, you may not be able to salvage it.  The only solution would be to recast it in a mold(form).  Now that is a BIG deal, but not impossible.  Of course, you could reuse the form and make as many as you want.  But that would be another teaching moment.

                                        My wife Sandra and I are coming up on 8/6 for the Railfest and some other sight seeing.  It is about a four hour drive for us.  We will be staying at the Holiday Inn in Johnstown.

                                        Let me know what your plans are and if I can be of any more assistance.

                                        Dick