Railfest

  • odakyu2003
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 8, 2009
      I must be somewhat out of the loop re; Railfest. Is this some annual event in Fulton County?
      I'd like to participate, however it seems a bit short on notice time for me to change my plans.
      Gordon Davis
    • slamora1@nycap.rr.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 8, 2009
        I'm in

        Steve Lamora

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 8, 2009
          Thank you for the welcomes back.

          Please do not forget; at some point I want to see if this group is interested in seeking permission to get some of the remaining FJ&G signage fixed up, and then in actually doing the work to fix it up.  A few cement repairs could be done on three existing mileposts and they could all be repainted.

          A small work party could be arranged by some of us who are in the area.

          -Aaron

        • andrewsfusco
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 9, 2009
            Count me in for August 8. I'd be willing to help Aaron's crew
            on the mile marker/whistle post work detail. ---Andy Fusco

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 10, 2009
              Hello Gordon,

              Yes, its an annual event. The Gloversville Chamber of Commerce promotes the city and rail trail with an annual festival titled Railfest.  What we FJ&G group members decided to do a few yars ago was coordinate our annual (now semi-annual) get together with the festival both to perhaps increase interest in the FJ&G and also, because we chose to hold our pressentation at the Fulton County Historical society museum, boost their attendance that day as well.  The last meeting at the Museum was very successful.

              That is the connection with railfest.  There really is none other than the how interested citizens were invited to participate in our public show and tell session.  In the previous years we were on either the weekend before or after Railfest.  Gino is correct, I will be at the Railfest promoting my history of the FJ&G, thus unable to participate in the day's events until after perjaps four p.m.

              All of the preceding get togethers have been excellent days spent touring, walking and show and tell, culminating with a group dinner at the Railyard restaurant in Gloversville.  There is a lot left to explore so this could turn into a great event this year too.

              The trip over the Mountain Lake route would be great opportunity to view the site and experience the topography of a major event in Fulton county railroad history, even if not related directly to the FJ&G.  The bus trip is another opportunity which, as a charter, could be expanded to revisit the entire FJ&G bus routes in Fulton and Montgomery county, i.e. the steam division and local routes converted from steam and trolley in 1930.  Plus there is always "show and tell" time where Q&A and sharing of our finds and treasures occurs.

              PKL

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: gdavis4@...
              Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 22:47:26 +0000
              Subject: [FJGRailroad] Railfest

              I must be somewhat out of the loop re; Railfest. Is this some annual event in Fulton County?
              I'd like to participate, however it seems a bit short on notice time for me to change my plans.
              Gordon Davis

              Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Spread the word when you add celeb photos to your e-mails. Check it out.
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 10, 2009
                Re reading Gordon's message I am inclined to agree that if this get together is possible this year, that is if enough of us choose to meet at Gloversville, it might be better to allow a couple months notice.  We are a bit late for this summer in as much as most of us set our plans well before now.  How's late September or early October (foliage season)?  Also I will be able to make it.

                Now, we have three volunteers to pull it together, Aaron, Jerry and John.  That's more than we've had in the past so can we assume a date will be set and an agenda that can be executed aranged?

                PKL

                To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com

                From: gdavis4@twcny. rr.com
                Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 22:47:26 +0000

                I must be somewhat out of the loop re; Railfest. Is this some annual event in Fulton County?
                I'd like to participate, however it seems a bit short on notice time for me to change my plans.
                Gordon Davis

                Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Spread the word when you add celeb photos to your e-mails. Check it out.

                Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Find, add, and share the best celeb pics, right from Hotmail. Check it out.
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 10, 2009
                  September or October is a great idea Paul!  Yeah, we need some time to warn our
                  out of towners who make the trip!  There's a good chance we won't over heat in
                  the fall also!

                  We can also coordinate a trip up to Mountain Lake.  Not to mention, it would be
                  a waste not to have you until after 4 pm!

                  Gino

                  To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com

                  From: gdavis4@...
                  Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 22:47:26 +0000

                  --
                  http://fjgrr.org
                  http://ginosrailpage.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 10, 2009
                    I am in and as long as I am looking around for a job I can help with the arrangements.

                    To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    From: pklarner@...
                    Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:20:28 -0400

                    To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 11, 2009
                      Gino and all,

                      Hopefully things will firm up soon.  I need to plan my trip up from Virginia.

                      Skip

                      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Snyder <handyman756@...> wrote:

                      > Welcome back!

                    • Glenn J. Williams
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 14, 2009
                        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Larner <pklarner@...> wrote:

                        > Re reading Gordon's message I am inclined to agree that if this get together is possible this year, that is if enough of us choose to meet at Gloversville, it might be better to allow a couple months notice. We are a bit late for this summer in as much as most of us set our plans well before now. How's late September or early October (foliage season)? Also I will be able to make it.
                        >

                        > Now, we have three volunteers to pull it together, Aaron, Jerry and John. That's more than we've had in the past so can we assume a date will be set and an agenda that can be executed aranged?
                        >

                        > PKL

                        Family obligations will keep me tied up until just before Labour Day, so Paul's suggestion of late September or early October is fine with me.

                        Glenn
                        Penacook, NH