Two Trolley Questions

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2009
      I have a question re:  trolleys.  On the roofs of several trolleys I see what appears to be a series of wooden slats.  What was their purpose?  I've attached a very small photo for reference.  They almost look like a foothold for someone who needs to walk up onto the roof.  Is that correct?

      Another question:  what was the purpose of the sprinkler owned by the FJ&G and kept in Amsterdam?  Did it have more than one use?

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2009
        I suspect you're correct about the wood slats.  Those were canvas covered roofs any walking on the fabric would not be a good thing.

        The sprinkler was required by the city fathers of Amsterdam to ensure the passing trolleys did not raise dust from the unpaved streets.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: akeller_1979@...
        Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 11:56:30 -0700
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] Two Trolley Questions

        I have a question re:  trolleys.  On the roofs of several trolleys I see what appears to be a series of wooden slats.  What was their purpose?  I've attached a very small photo for reference.  They almost look like a foothold for someone who needs to walk up onto the roof.  Is that correct?

        Another question:  what was the purpose of the sprinkler owned by the FJ&G and kept in Amsterdam?  Did it have more than one use?

        -Aaron

        Rediscover HotmailĀ®: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox. Check it out.
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2009
          Instead of dusty streets, muddy streets.  That makes a lot of sense.

          Or did they use oil?  The dirt road just north of my house growing used to be freshly oiled every year.

          -Aaron