Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Get Together and other things of note!

  • Jerry Snyder
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
      I've got a compressor and spray gun, so I'm game.  But an S-2 is a little bigger than the last Chevy I painted back in my younger days.
      Jerry

      #30 still works and what's the sense of taking something out
      of service and relegating it to static display? (Plus, let's not forget
      that #20 and #21 were beloved and #30 was hated back in
      the day.)

      A far, far cheaper (and I think better) idea would be to get an inoperable old
      S-2 and paint it up as #22. Apparently there's a few junk Alco S units just
      sitting there on the Buffalo Southern. Now is the perfect time to buy one
      because the price of scrap has hit rock bottom.

      Some of us real die hards might recoil at the notion of a fictionalized #22,
      but who in the public would really care? That the councilman Gino
      contacted apparently thinks that the boxcar wasn't really FJG, to me,
      speaks volumes.

      If there is interest in pursuing this, I'd being willing to contact
      Steve Koenig (who writes the NY State column in Railpace). He's
      pretty tight with the Buffalo Southern folks and he might be
      willling to broker or at least price out the deal for us.

      (P.S. And just think of what delightful arguments will result from the
      question of what color orange to paint our #22. If model railroaders
      are at each other throats over which orange is FJ&G orange, just think
      what battles will ensue over painting a real train? We can charge admission
      to the fight to help defray costs.---Andy)

      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009

        Let me clear things up the best I can.  I have a gift for not expressing myself correctly by

        email  and also  am very bad at delivering messages.  The money my parents and myself spent

        on College to teach me to be an on-air journalist was a waste of money.  Aaron Keller was

        correct in questioning my college background 13 years ago when I created ginosrailpage.

        I think I still have the grammar corrections he sent me for the first incarnation of my webpage

        and he was a high school student.

        Here's the skinny:

        I need to explain the situation as best I can.  NO taxpayer money has been discussed in

        bringing a locomotive to Gloversville.  I was asked what remaining equipment was out

        there and silly me brought up the 2 most high-profile cases.  This being #30 in Iowa and

        #126 in Utah.  I should have suggested the flanger in Northville, but wasn't thinking.

        The Councilman was told that the boxcar in the park was not original FJ&G equipment.

        He didn't come to the conclusion that it wasn't ex-FJ&G, he was told it wasn't FJ&G.

        I did clear things up and told him that the car was on the property during the line's

        existence.

        I think the point made by the Councilman was that it would be nicer if equipment, such

        as a locomotive or a trolley was set-up in the park.  That boxcar there now isn't going

        anywhere, this was just an idea tossed around.  The plan was to see if through DONATION

        someone could pick up this old piece of equipment  and bring it back to Fulton County.

        I may have said 'grant' in my original email, and this is what I'm talking about when I

        saw my communication skills SUCK!!!!!!

        This is the last you'll hear from me on the subject, I hope I've cleared any misunderstanding!!!

        Gino

        Group Moderator and Shizenkopf...

        #30 still works and what's the sense of taking something out

        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
          I think you communicate just fine.

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

          #30 still works and what's the sense of taking something out
          of service and relegating it to static display? (Plus, let's not forget
          that #20 and #21 were beloved and #30 was hated back in
          the day.)

          A far, far cheaper (and I think better) idea would be to get an inoperable old
          S-2 and paint it up as #22. Apparently there's a few junk Alco S units just
          sitting there on the Buffalo Southern. Now is the perfect time to buy one
          because the price of scrap has hit rock bottom.

          Some of us real die hards might recoil at the notion of a fictionalized #22,
          but who in the public would really care? That the councilman Gino
          contacted apparently thinks that the boxcar wasn't really FJG, to me,
          speaks volumes.

          If there is interest in pursuing this, I'd being willing to contact
          Steve Koenig (who writes the NY State column in Railpace). He's
          pretty tight with the Buffalo Southern folks and he might be
          willling to broker or at least price out the deal for us.

          (P.S. And just think of what delightful arguments will result from the
          question of what color orange to paint our #22. If model railroaders
          are at each other throats over which orange is FJ&G orange, just think
          what battles will ensue over painting a real train? We can charge admission
          to the fight to help defray costs.---Andy)

          --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@ ...> wrote:

          > Rich,
          >

          > I think it's the 8th.
          >

          > Gino

          Rediscover Hotmail®: Now available on your iPhone or BlackBerry Check it out.
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
            There is an S-4 in Colonie. Take the hood off and truck it to a spot where we could paint it. Who is in the coleco building in Broadalbin (my recollection is the county bonded itself to put that 1 million square foot addition on)? The prime mover could go to a tourist railroad like the Catskill Mountain who would be interested in the parts.
            Then truck the frame and give the traction motors to a deserving railroad that can use them (CMRR, D&U) with the trucks going under the frame in Gloversville.  After repainting the hood reassemble and Ta da FJ&G #22.

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: handyman756@...
            Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:25:30 -0700

            #30 still works and what's the sense of taking something out
            of service and relegating it to static display? (Plus, let's not forget
            that #20 and #21 were beloved and #30 was hated back in
            the day.)

            A far, far cheaper (and I think better) idea would be to get an inoperable old
            S-2 and paint it up as #22. Apparently there's a few junk Alco S units just
            sitting there on the Buffalo Southern. Now is the perfect time to buy one
            because the price of scrap has hit rock bottom.

            Some of us real die hards might recoil at the notion of a fictionalized #22,
            but who in the public would really care? That the councilman Gino
            contacted apparently thinks that the boxcar wasn't really FJG, to me,
            speaks volumes.

            If there is interest in pursuing this, I'd being willing to contact
            Steve Koenig (who writes the NY State column in Railpace). He's
            pretty tight with the Buffalo Southern folks and he might be
            willling to broker or at least price out the deal for us.

            (P.S. And just think of what delightful arguments will result from the
            question of what color orange to paint our #22. If model railroaders
            are at each other throats over which orange is FJ&G orange, just think
            what battles will ensue over painting a real train? We can charge admission
            to the fight to help defray costs.---Andy)

            --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@ ...> wrote:

            > Rich,
            >

            > I think it's the 8th.
            >

            > Gino

            Quick access to your favorite MSN content and Windows Live with Internet Explorer 8. Download FREE now!
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
              I have color prints and slides of the engines that look correct to me. Lets get some Flowquil and get started!

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: akeller_1979@...
              Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 11:21:11 -0700

              Andy,

              I agree with you on the points below.  The cost would be high and such expenses should not be borne by taxpayers.

              However, I don't want to rain on the parade; if someone thinks it can happen, I will support them in making it work.

              I don't believe the old FJ&G no. 30 is still in service.  It appears to be dead, although I don't know for certain.  I do know that the line that owns it bought new power about ten years ago.

              I have paint chips here of caboose no. 3 if someone wants to argue about paint colors.  The orange is a bit faded, I think, but it's a starting point.

              -Aaron

              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
                Joe,

                Need the signature Blunt trucks which the S-4's didn't have.

                There are plenty of opportunities here but where's the beef, money.  Perhaps someone from the city is reading these posts and would appreciate knowing the contact person Andy referred to for exploration of a stripped S-2.  Will we raise the money to transport it to Gloversville?  Do any of us have a contact with D&U to learn the pitfalls and challenges of moving about 100 tons of locomotive by highway?  Are enough of us willing to contribute a couple grand each, if necessary?

                Just some thoughts.  I'm not a fan of expecting someone else to do it for us, especially when, if NY is like Vt, and the legislature would rather cut necessary programs than give up many special interest projects.  The legislature up here also wants to use the stimulus money to bridge the gap without making necessary adjustments in spending; they also choose to raise taxes (just passed a bill to the governor raising the gas tax 5 cents) rather than postpone or eliminate non-essential spending.  This is the liberal land of pink lenses and someone else's pocket book.  Responsible government today, doesn't have the money for vanity projects (unless you live in Vermont - perhaps that's a bit harsh).

                If private money gets an S-2 to Gloversville, will the city commit to dressing it?

                Not a bad idea,really.

                PKL

                To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
                From: riverlinejoe@...
                Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 00:51:25 +0000

                To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                From: handyman756@ yahoo.com
                Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:25:30 -0700

                #30 still works and what's the sense of taking something out
                of service and relegating it to static display? (Plus, let's not forget
                that #20 and #21 were beloved and #30 was hated back in
                the day.)

                A far, far cheaper (and I think better) idea would be to get an inoperable old
                S-2 and paint it up as #22. Apparently there's a few junk Alco S units just
                sitting there on the Buffalo Southern. Now is the perfect time to buy one
                because the price of scrap has hit rock bottom.

                Some of us real die hards might recoil at the notion of a fictionalized #22,
                but who in the public would really care? That the councilman Gino
                contacted apparently thinks that the boxcar wasn't really FJG, to me,
                speaks volumes.

                If there is interest in pursuing this, I'd being willing to contact
                Steve Koenig (who writes the NY State column in Railpace). He's
                pretty tight with the Buffalo Southern folks and he might be
                willling to broker or at least price out the deal for us.

                (P.S. And just think of what delightful arguments will result from the
                question of what color orange to paint our #22. If model railroaders
                are at each other throats over which orange is FJ&G orange, just think
                what battles will ensue over painting a real train? We can charge admission
                to the fight to help defray costs.---Andy)

                --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@ ...> wrote:

                > Rich,
                >

                > I think it's the 8th.
                >

                > Gino

                Rediscover Hotmail®: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox. Check it out.
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 2, 2009
                  I will correct myself. The engine in colonie is an S-2. I understand that equipment is in danger of being scrapped. That being the case, I am relatively certain there are fols out there who would be interested inthe prime mover (Scott Whitney for instance and the Catskill Mountain for another). But unless there are a number of people interested in this project, you are correct, it ain't going to happen.

                  To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com

                  From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
                  Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 00:51:25 +0000

                  To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                  From: handyman756@ yahoo.com
                  Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:25:30 -0700

                  #30 still works and what's the sense of taking something out
                  of service and relegating it to static display? (Plus, let's not forget
                  that #20 and #21 were beloved and #30 was hated back in
                  the day.)

                  A far, far cheaper (and I think better) idea would be to get an inoperable old
                  S-2 and paint it up as #22. Apparently there's a few junk Alco S units just
                  sitting there on the Buffalo Southern. Now is the perfect time to buy one
                  because the price of scrap has hit rock bottom.

                  Some of us real die hards might recoil at the notion of a fictionalized #22,
                  but who in the public would really care? That the councilman Gino
                  contacted apparently thinks that the boxcar wasn't really FJG, to me,
                  speaks volumes.

                  If there is interest in pursuing this, I'd being willing to contact
                  Steve Koenig (who writes the NY State column in Railpace). He's
                  pretty tight with the Buffalo Southern folks and he might be
                  willling to broker or at least price out the deal for us.

                  (P.S. And just think of what delightful arguments will result from the
                  question of what color orange to paint our #22. If model railroaders
                  are at each other throats over which orange is FJ&G orange, just think
                  what battles will ensue over painting a real train? We can charge admission
                  to the fight to help defray costs.---Andy)

                  --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@ ...> wrote:

                  > Rich,
                  >

                  > I think it's the 8th.
                  >

                  > Gino

                  Rediscover Hotmail®: Get e-mail storage that grows with you. Check it out.
                • andrewsfusco
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 2, 2009
                    Dear Paul:

                    Is it feasible for CSX to get it from Buffalo
                    to Fonda and then truck it up from there? How
                    much would that cost?

                    I agree about the Blunt trucks. Perhaps
                    we can ask Buanno's to truck it for free, you
                    know, kinda like the winner having to pay
                    war reparations to the loser. ---Andy

                    P.S. Gino, please don't take my comments
                    to heart. I'm just trying to think aloud how to
                    most cheaply do what is basically a great
                    idea.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 2, 2009

                      I'm not taking anything to heart here.  The blame is on me for giving you guys the wrong idea.

                      When I'm misleading a lawyer and a Syracuse graduate, I know I'm utilizing any communication

                      skills.

                      Here's something to think about before this conversation goes any further.  The Councilman

                      was wondering if there was any FJG equipment out there, not equipment that LOOKED like

                      FJ&G equipment...

                      Gino

                      href="http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Updates1_042009">http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Updates1_042009

                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 2, 2009
                        Andy and Joe,

                        I was under the impression the equipment atr Colonie HAD to be moved.  I thought I had heaerd dome of it was disposed of to other locations - now I've been away from there for a couple years - this may be confirmed.  If an S-2 is at Colonie that would be the one, after viewing to truck to Gloversville simply because of its proximity.  Now to a reasonable extent I will start this trek (or another) by stating, I will put up $1,000 if nine more of us will match it.  If that doesn't start something with the city to desire it, because unless they commit we are wasting time and money, then it must die.

                        Now I am not in Gloversville thus there isn't much more I can conveniently do.  I've started the pot, now someone close to the council needs to get the other side rolling.  We need two commitments - one from this group and the other from the city.

                        Andy I would expect before advancing ten grand we should form an LLC and only deal with the city by contract, in as much as elected officials often change.  How do you see this part of the deal?

                        Are we in this game?

                        PKL

                        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                        From: fusco@...
                        Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:57:13 +0000

                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 2, 2009
                          I will be in a better position to pledge in a couple weeks, but pencil me in....

                          To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com

                          From: fusco@baldcom. net
                          Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:57:13 +0000

                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 2, 2009
                            I will tell you what. Right at this moment I am available to go and talk to the Gloversville councilman. Tell me his name I will give him a call.

                            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

> [...]

                            > Then truck the frame and give the traction motors to a deserving railroad that can use them (CMRR, D&U) with the trucks going under the frame in Gloversville. After repainting the hood reassemble and Ta da FJ&G #22.
                            >

                            > To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                            > From: handyman756@ ...
                            > Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:25:30 -0700
                            > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Get Together and other things of note!
                            >

                            > I've got a compressor and spray gun, so I'm game. But an S-2 is a little bigger than the last Chevy I painted back in my younger days.

                          • Robert Schoneman
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 4, 2009
                              ... him about the #30 sitting out in Iowa he was very interested in it. So
                              much, if someone gives me a contact with the railroad out there, he will look into the possibility of bringing that loco back to Gloversville.

                              Um, which railroad in Iowa? I have friends who work at Iowa Interstate, and have their email addresses.

                              As for paint...

                              Floquil and Rt 30 ring a bell? Hmmm...weren't they bought out by Testors though. :-)

                              Bob Schoneman
                              Appleton, WI