Railfanning the Fonda Johnstown & Gloversville Railroad 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2009
      I was in FJ&G land the last two days. Aaron keller and I braved the rain and gloom to railfan the FJ&G. Now you say what do you mean Railfan the FJ&G? They don't have any trains.

      Ah yes but there are freight cars. And we ventured into Verkleir's Yard in Mayfield. I gotta tell you that we had a very nice reception from the Verkleirs. in fact we probably spent an hour talking with Mr. Verkleir as he took us from spot to spot to show us different FJ&G artifacts.

      First for the record, here is the list of cars that still exist in the wooded glen that is the Verkleirs yard;

      FJ&G 126300
      FJ&G 127004
      FJ&G 138258
      FJ&G 127025
      FJ&G 138322
      CACV 25033 (ex Swifts Car)
      FJ&G 138392
      FJ&G 138341 (blue)
      FJ&G 126356

      We also discovered a very old flatcar laying upside down in knee deep snow. We were able to detemine that the riveted flatcar had a builders plate from Bettendorf and there were some white paint initials that were too badly flaked to allow us to determine what the car number might have been.

      Not too far away there was a twisted bit of yellow painted metal that appeared to be an old piece of MofW equipment. We guessed at what it might be but Mr. Verkleir invited us to come back in the spring when the snow had melted to get a better look. There was also an odd looking piece of metal on top of the yellow stuff that may have been a rail bender.

      Mr. Verkleir thought we ought to return after the snow melts to give the machine a better look. There was also an old Pettibone speed swing off in the yard....

      We spent at least two hours out there and it was a great deal of fun.....

      Quick access to Windows Live and your favorite MSN content with Internet Explorer 8.