FJ&G Abandoned Land Survey

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24, 2009
      OK, to take a page from Joe K, I'm gonna release "From The Files of FJGRR.org"

      Here is some info, since we're talking abandonent, about a survey the State of NY
      took in the 1960's and 1970's of former ROWs and the possibility of converting them
      to nature/bike/hiking/walking trails.  Some neat info posted here.

      Inventory of Abandoned Railroad Rights of Way

      Region 1/:2

      Railroad: Fonda, Johnstown and Gloversville

      Termini: Fonda to Sohenectady County  Line

      Location Map Code: 2-17

      A. Approximate length 12 mi.

      B. Approximate width 60' - 100'

      C. General Conditions

      The Fonda, Johnstown and Gloversville Railroad Company

      originally ran from Schenectady west through Amsterdam,

      Tribes Hill and Fonda. The line then went north,

      through Johnstown,. Gloversville and ended at Northville.

      Judson Zimmer and Judson Zimmer, Jr., both of whom are

      on the company's Board of Directors, stated the railroad

      still operates between the Village of Fonda and the

      Cities of Johnstown and Gloversville. They said the

      railroad has abandoned all of the remaining land east

      of Fonda to Schenectady and north of Gloversville to

      Northville.

      The Zimmers said that the railroad has sold all of its

      abandoned right of way except two of three very small

      sections near Tribes Hill and Fort Johnson.

      Description from Village of Fonda east -

      Village of Fonda to Old Trail Road

      Clear and driveable, woodlands on both sides. All rails

      and ties removed.

      Old Trail Road to Switzer Hill Road

      Walkable. This section is used as pasture land with

      several barbwire fenoelines crossing the ROW.. All

      ties and rails have been removed.

      Switzer Hill Road to Van Antwerp Road

      This section of ROW is now the Town of Mohawk's highway

      known as Stewart Road.  Bridge in place over a small

      stream.  All ties and rails have been removed.

      Van Antwerp Road to Getman Road

      The ROW is visible and walkable. There

      is light Overgrowth and agricultural on both sides.

      All ties and rails have been removed.

      Getman Road to Route 5

      Clear and driveable. It appears that this short section

      is used by snowmobilers and "mini-bikes". Undeveloped

      land on both sides of the ROW. All ties and rails removed.

      Route 5 through the Village of Tribes Hill

      The ROW is hardly visible through the village and is

      occupied by residences and some commercial properties.

      Niagara Mohawk has purchased some of the ROW in the

      village and for a short distance, power lines and poles

      are on the ROW. Both station houses in the village

      have been demolished. All ties and rails are removed.

      Route 5 to City of Amsterdam

      A bridge over Route 5 has been removed. After crossing

      Route 5, the ROW parallels Route 5 to the north all the

      way to Fort Johnson where the  line crosses Route 5 and

      parallels Route 5 on the south into the City of

      Amsterdam. All ties and rails have been removed. This

      section passes through residential and commercial areas.

      City of Amsterdam

      Within the City of Amsterdam, the railroad ran down

      the middle of Main Street. The rails are still visible

      in the road.

      Amsterdam east to Schenectady County Line

      For about 1 mile the railroad passes through farmland

      with two fencelines crossing the bed. The tracks and

      ties have all been removed and the bed is in fairly good shape.

      The bed then oomes baok to Route 5. The  section to the Schenectady

      County line has been acquired by New York State for the purpose of

      expanding Route 5 to a four-lane highway.

      This section of the Fonda, Johnstown and Gloversville

      Railroad is in fairly good condition and certain parts

      between Fonda and Amsterdam could be used for hiking or

      snowmobiles. The land surrounding the ROW is generally

      agricultural except in villages and cities.

      Grantee

      1940

      Alden E. Eckler

      Van Antweys

      1941

      James P. Adams

      AmsterdamChuctanunda & Northern R.R. Co.

      Miller

      1942

      Leon A. Phillips

      Langeau

      Village of Fonda

      Socony Vacuum Oil Company

      1944

      John Bednarowicz

      1946

      City of Amsterdam

      1947

      Harold Sweet

      Town of Amsterdam

      May Dawson

      Mohawk Carpet Mills, Inc.

      Fred A. Herman

      1948

      Josephine Nikstenas

      1947

      George Jacobs

      1950

      Joseph Kiaunis

      Cranesville Volunteer Fire Department

      1951

      Ada M. Swart

      1952

      Aidona Farley

      1956

      Tryon Oil Company

      Town of Amsterdam

      State of New York

      1957

      William G. Sarris

      1959

      State of New York

      Walderman S. Raymond

      1960

      St. Cecelia Roman Catholic Church

      State of New York

      State of New York

      1961

      Robert E. Dolan

      State of New York

      1965

      Fonda Manufacturing Company

      Inventory of Abandoned Railroad Rights of Way

      Region #2

      Railroad: Fonda, Johnstown and Gloversville

      Termini: Broadalbin Junction to Northville

      Location Map Code: 2-18

      A. Approximate length 13 mi.

      B. Approximate width 60' - 100'

      C. General Conditions

      This section of the Fonda, Johnstown and Gloversville

      Railroad is a spur line which branched off near

      Broadalbin Junction and ran north to Northville, New York.

      This line is very overgrown and very hard to find unless

      someone points it out. All rails and ties have been

      removed.

      Broadalbin to Sacandaga Reservoir -

      The line generally follows Moore Road. There is very

      heavy overgrowth and large trees on the ROW. It is

      almost impossible to walk. The land on either side is

      agricultural. After crossing Rt. 30, the railroad

      enters Sacandaga Reservoir. The line has been covered

      by this man-made lake for approximately 6 miles.

      Sacandaga Reservoir to Northville -

      The line crosses Bunker Hill Road and heads north

      through Sacandaga Park and onto Northville. The railroad

      parallels Rt. 30 to the east. The ROW is very

      heavily overgrown and hardly visible. Near Sacandaga

      Park there are several camps on the ROW. The abandoned

      station house is still standing at Northville.

      This section of abandonment is not suitable for anything

      due to the very heavy overgrowth and general poor condition.

      FONDA, JOHNSTOWN & GLOVERSVILLE RAILROAD

      Sell-offs - Abandonment Began 1936

      Order to Sell from U.S. District Court - 1938

      Grantee

      1938

      Town of Amsterdam

      County of Montgomery

      1939

      New York Power and Light

      Town of Amsterdam

      County of Montgomery

      New York Central Railroad Company

      Carmichael

      New York Power and Light

      Carl Vieder

      Van Antweys

      Howard A. DeGraff

      Roy P. Runkle

      SELL-OFFS

      Fulton County

      Grantee

      1938

      Johnstown Hotel

      Truman Dunn

      Pure Oil Co.

      City of Gloversville

      City of Johnstown

      George E.Hartwell

      Matilda Snyder

      Belli A. Mendelson

      Henry T. O'Brien

      Ethel A. Lindray

      Corrir

      State of New York

      Silbertkows

      Ben Lumber

      R. Marshall

      Haggert

      NYP & Light

      Waring

      Bert

      Straws

      Duffy

      Billings

      Muddle

      Callahan

      Grantee

      1938

      King

      Bloodgood

      Jenkins

      Whi tehoue

      Blitz

      Willson

       Lurie

      Silverstein

      Jacobson

      Spanish American Co.

      Gloversville Knitting Co.

      Yates

      O'Connor

      Kalbfeld

      Rouse

      N.Y.S.

      Hulett

      Fisher

      N.Y.S. DOT

      City of Gloversville

      Niagara Mohawk

      Adirondack Properties

      Grantee

      1938

      City of Johnstown

      O'Connor

      N.Y.S. DOT

      Peters Oil Co.

      Twin City Leather Co.

      Cross

      Levori

      Leonardi

      Peters Oil Co.

      Arterial Realty Co.

      Solomon Wise

      Sevar South Main st.

      Sell-off

      Niagara Mohawk

      Tueher

      Smith

      Fairbarts

      Fuller Pary

      Spanish American Skin Co.

      Craig

      Tiverl City Leather

      Mohawk Cabinet

      Breajjant

      City of Johnstown

      Grantee

      1938

      Twin City Leather

      110 S. Main Street Div. Corp.

      Gloversville Urban Renewal

      Jacobson

      Hope you enjoyed!

    • Saul Kalbfeld
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 24, 2009
        Why does my family name show up about 3/4 of the way down this document?
        Saul
      • Fjgrailroad
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25, 2009
          I saw that Saul and wondered.  I think those are the people
          Who purchased railroad land or were granted it.

          Gino

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 25, 2009
            The only thing I can figure is that my Dad's family owned a house on Lincoln Road in Sacandaga Park. The original cottages were owned by the RR and annual renters had to buy them at some point but I thought that was much earlier. I wonder if the records of those sales exist anywhere.
            Saul

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 25, 2009
              Saul,

              My records show a transfer date on July 14, 1947 to William H. Kalbfeld, book 297, page 201.  I'm sure the county clerk could mail you a copy of the deed record if you asked.

              PKL

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: fjgbus@...
              Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 23:09:08 +0000
              Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: FJ&G Abandoned Land Survey

              The only thing I can figure is that my Dad's family owned a house on Lincoln Road in Sacandaga Park. The original cottages were owned by the RR and annual renters had to buy them at some point but I thought that was much earlier. I wonder if the records of those sales exist anywhere.
              Saul

              --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, Fjgrailroad <fjgrailroad@ ...> wrote:

              > I saw that Saul and wondered. I think those are the people
              > Who purchased railroad land or were granted it.
              >
              > Gino
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Mar 24, 2009, at 9:37 PM, "Saul Kalbfeld" <fjgbus@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Why does my family name show up about 3/4 of the way down this
              > > document?
              > > Saul

              Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.