Mulligan and Higgins

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 5, 2000
      Better known as the "glue factory" in the old days. I have a roll of
      pictures of the warehouse. The building is a classic design and very
      large. I'll post several in the next couple of days. I always liked
      the way it is set at an angle to Perry Street. Modelers like those
      kind of details. I have hopes of doing a scale drawing of that
      building.
      Saul
    • Saul Kalbfeld
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 27, 2005
        What is the history and background of this company? When I was a kid, it was just referred to as the "glue factory". What were their products and did they serve the glove and leather industry? Where did they ship and receive by rail? Who owned the company and did they retire to Palm Beach with the fortune they amassed creating stinky air in north J'town. I'll keep August 6 open.
        Saul

      • Dick Ryall
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 27, 2005
          Saul Kalbfeld wrote:
          What is the history and background of this company? When I was a kid, it was just referred to as the "glue factory". What were their products and did they serve the glove and leather industry? Where did they ship and receive by rail? Who owned the company and did they retire to Palm Beach with the fortune they amassed creating stinky air in north J'town. I'll keep August 6 open.
          Saul

          Visit Gino's Railpage at
          Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
          http://www.lostlandmarks.org
          http://ny.existingstations.com/

          Saul, when were you there, I always knew it as the  glue factory, it did stink.......dick
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 27, 2005
            There had been glue factories in the area from early years. Another was
            located south of Johnstown but exactly where I can only say probably near
            Glebe St. I always thought they made mucilage but now that you ask I'll
            have to see what I can discover. The process served not the "leather"
            industry particularly, but every industry (farm) where animals were part of
            the product. After balogna, what was left was processed into glue. Only
            kidding about the closeness of balogna product, but I do believe that the
            glue process was the use made of those animal parts for which no other use
            could be found. The animal parts I was told were in those gons wouldn't be
            used for sausage, so you figure what they were.

            I'll be back with what I can find.

            PKL

            >From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <fjgbus@...>
            >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Mulligan and Higgins
            >Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:11:15 -0500
            >
            >What is the history and background of this company? When I was a kid, it
            >was just referred to as the "glue factory". What were their products and
            >did they serve the glove and leather industry? Where did they ship and
            >receive by rail? Who owned the company and did they retire to Palm Beach
            >with the fortune they amassed creating stinky air in north J'town. I'll
            >keep August 6 open.
            >Saul

          • Dick Ryall

              From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <fjgbus@...>
              To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: [FJGRailroad] Mulligan and Higgins
              Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:11:15 -0500

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/j2LplB/TM

              Visit Gino's Railpage at
              Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
              http://www.lostlandmarks.org
              http://ny.existingstations.com/
              Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/termsorry guys, glue factory was tied to Knox .  It came after

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 4, 2005
                Dick, They're still there and produce the only animal glue in North
                America. It is used for fine furniture manufacture and other uses requiring
                a solid bond. I found several web sites in google that talk about the
                company and its products. Quite interesting; take a look.

                They received raw "glue stock" at the Townsend Ave siding from all over.
                The first piggyback movements into Gloversville were loads of glue stock
                from somewhere on the B&M. I believe they also received carload shipments
                of coal which they unloaded at the team track also.

                Like the stink in other parts of the twin cities, it was the smell of
                prosperity and dependable jobs. At least in our youth. Many of the things
                the men did in those tanneries were deadly. In the absence of OSHA to look
                after worker's health it is amazing to hear some of the conditions workers
                in certain functions of the tanning and textile industry endured. I have
                lately heard stories of chrome poisoning and chemical damage to employees
                lungs, which today wouldn't occur.

                PKL

                >From: Dick Ryall <dryall@...>
                >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Mulligan and Higgins
                >Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:11:02 -0700
                >
                >paul larner wrote:
                >
                >>There had been glue factories in the area from early years. Another was
                >>located south of Johnstown but exactly where I can only say probably near
                >>Glebe St. I always thought they made mucilage but now that you ask I'll
                >>have to see what I can discover. The process served not the "leather"
                >>industry particularly, but every industry (farm) where animals were part
                >>of the product. After balogna, what was left was processed into glue.
                >>Only kidding about the closeness of balogna product, but I do believe that
                >>the glue process was the use made of those animal parts for which no other
                >>use could be found. The animal parts I was told were in those gons
                >>wouldn't be used for sausage, so you figure what they were.
                >>
                >>I'll be back with what I can find.
                >>
                >>PKL
                >>

                >>>From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <fjgbus@...>
                >>>To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                >>>Subject: [FJGRailroad] Mulligan and Higgins
                >>>Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:11:15 -0500
                >>>
                >>>What is the history and background of this company? When I was a kid, it
                >>>was just referred to as the "glue factory". What were their products and
                >>>did they serve the glove and leather industry? Where did they ship and
                >>>receive by rail? Who owned the company and did they retire to Palm Beach
                >>>with the fortune they amassed creating stinky air in north J'town. I'll
                >>>keep August 6 open.
                >>>Saul
                >>>

                >>Visit Gino's Railpage at http://www.ginosrailpage.com and http://fjgrr.org
                >>Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at
                >>http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
                >>Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                >>http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                >>Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York State
                >>at
                >>http://ny.existingstations.com/ Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Dick Ryall

                  From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <fjgbus@...>
                  To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                  Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:11:15 -0500

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/j2LplB/TM

                  Visit Gino's Railpage at
                  Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                  http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                  http://ny.existingstations.com/
                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  One of the  nastyest jobs  in the tannery was called   Knee Staking,  a tr;uly  terrible job.......
                • fjgrr20
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 6, 2006
                    My Grandmother was recently reminissing about spending time on
                    Saturdays with her father who worked at the Mulligan and Higgins Glue
                    Plant. She said her dad did many different things including unloading
                    hides off the train.(FJ&G). Does this building still exist. Were they a
                    big customer of the FJ&G. Deano
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 6, 2006
                      They were a good customer of the railroad and also the first user of the
                      piggyback service, bringing skins in from some point on the B&M. Their cars
                      usually meant an aromatic trip up the hill on hot summer days.

                      PKL

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 7, 2006
                        Thanks for the info. Deano

                        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@...>