RE: [FJGRailroad] Omnicology

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 23, 2009
      The first FJ&G company did the same thing.  Makes for good business under certain regulatory circumstances.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: akeller_1979@...
      Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:15:36 -0700
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Omnicology

      Joe,

      Re:  Coleco.  The material was trucked from Water Street in Utica, on the east side of the Utica freight house, to Patch Road in Mayfield (Coleco) after the railroad shut down.  The trucks were a gray metallic (weathered aluminum) color and were lettered NYS&W on the side in blue letters, similar to the blue on the DO boxcars.  They were not in any official railway color scheme.  This trucks continued operating into the late 1980s.

      We have to recall that Coleco screwed itself up pretty bad when it switched from plastic swimming pools and cabbage patch dolls to the electronics that are blamed for driving the company defunct.  The Adam computer was signalled as the downfall.  Even the ALF dolls and Cabbage Patch Kids couldn't keep the company afloat.  With this switch to electronics the amount of plastic pellets the company needed to receive likely fell.  Would the rest of you agree with this assessment?

      Re:  the NY State Sec'y of State filings.  I have to look through them all the time as a journalist.  They tell interesting stories.

      Look at the Coal Company of Fulton County sometime; that became FonFulCo which was the DO's maintenance and equipment ownership arm.  As you are likely aware, Joe, companies oftentimes lease their equipment from other companies, at great profit to management.

      [An aside:  I once worked for a TV station that leased all its equipment (cameras, decks, etc.) from a holding company, owned by the same managers who controlled the FCC license.  It was a gravy train.]

      -Aaron

      From: Gino.Dicarlo@ qg.com
      Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:22:48 -0500

      Good question Aaron.  I have a newspaper article in the archives that tells what kind
      of fertilizer they made.  I'm sure it was made from whatever was left over from the hide
      operation.  When I mentioned that they really wanted the FJ&G to stick around, I'm
      sure it was to have the option.  They were still probably going to ship their 2 cars a
      month.  Although Jeff Carintz told me they wanted to ship more by rail.

      I'm not positive, but I think the Fertilizer business at Omnicology was the last and
      final shipper.  COLECO may have stopped earlier in the year.  The salt was no longer
      coming to Gloversville Yard and Kargs had stopped shipping the year before.

      Gino