SB&NY (NYS&W Syracuse Line)

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 23, 2009
      Andy,

      Why would the FGLK even want the northern end of the NYS&W Syracuse line?  The only business I know of between Jamesville (the quarry) and Homer would be one grain elevator in Tully.  Whatever was going to happen at Apulia dried up a long time ago, didn't it?

      The rumors persist about the line between Utica and Sherburne being sold to the MA&N, however, I've not seen it happen, and who knows if it will.

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 23, 2009
        I thought I saw something in the stimulus bill that's providing money for NYS railroads.
        As odd as it sounds, I think the stimulus is going to provide the funds needed to abandon
        the NYSW between Bingo and Utica.  I'll have to dig out the doc!

        Gino

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 24, 2009
          Aaron: Great question! Below, I think, is your answer.

          Just after Conrail sold the the Syracuse to
          Jamesville stretch to Susquehanna, it sold the Auburn
          Secondary to FGLK. But Conrail cleverly withheld from
          both deals about 250 yards of track in Solvay which
          connected the two. That assured that every northbound
          Susquehanna load customer and every eastbound FGLK
          load customer would have to deal with Conrail for the
          load's eventual destination.

          After CSX acquired the Conrail tracks in the Syracuse area,
          the Susquehanna was able to negotiate trackage rights to
          cross the withheld 250 yards for the purpose of spotting
          cars on CSX and FGLK. However, FGLK is still precluded
          from crossing over onto CSX or the Susquehanna.
          Now this is just a guess on my part, but
          I imagine that Finger Lakes looking to acquire the trackage
          rights to traverse the sacred 250 yards as part of buying
          the Syracuse to Jamesville line. That could be a gold mine
          for both Finger Lakes and Susie Q. That's because it would
          allow every FGLK customer connection (via NYS&W) to New York (Little
          Falls, NJ), Scranton, Philly, Harrisburg etc. without having
          to deal with CSX. And since FGLK interchanges with Norfolk
          Southern at Himrod, it would also open up connections for
          NS customers by using FGLK and Susie Q instead of having
          to deal with CSX.

          Now the only problem with all of this is that if I'm smart
          enough to have figured it out, even the blokes at CSX should
          be able to figure it out and put the kibosh to it.---Andy

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 24, 2009
            Andy,

            As good of an explanation as I've heard from anyone.  That does make sense.  Kind of a roundabout route, however, as the NS already controls the FGLK interchange to the south, does it not?  FGLK to NS, NS to Binghamton, and then over on the NYS&W(CNYK) Southern Tier line would accomplish the same thing, correct?

            When do the trains on the FGLK run these days?  Is it still Solvay to Auburn and return every day of the week?  Or is there a pattern, M-W-F, Tues-Thurs, etc.?

            And when does the NYS&W run?  Any pattern to that, or is it all jacked up like it was when I was in college?

            I miss the days when the stack trains were on a regular timetable.

            -Aaron

            Aaron:  Great question!  Below, I think, is your answer.

            Just after Conrail sold the the Syracuse to
            Jamesville stretch to Susquehanna, it sold the Auburn
            Secondary  to FGLK.  But Conrail cleverly withheld from
            both deals about 250 yards of track in Solvay which
            connected the two.  That assured that every northbound
            Susquehanna load customer and every eastbound FGLK
            load customer would have to deal with Conrail for the
            load's eventual destination.

            After CSX acquired the Conrail tracks in the Syracuse area,
            the Susquehanna was able to negotiate trackage rights to
            cross the withheld 250 yards for the purpose of spotting
            cars on CSX and FGLK.  However, FGLK is still precluded
            from crossing over onto CSX or the Susquehanna.
            Now this is just a guess on my part,  but
            I imagine that  Finger Lakes looking to acquire the trackage
            rights to traverse the sacred 250 yards as part of buying
            the Syracuse to Jamesville line.  That could be a gold mine
            for both Finger Lakes and Susie Q.  That's because it would
            allow every FGLK customer connection (via NYS&W) to New York (Little
            Falls, NJ), Scranton, Philly, Harrisburg etc. without having
            to deal with CSX.  And since FGLK interchanges with Norfolk
            Southern at Himrod, it would also open up connections for
            NS customers by using FGLK and Susie Q instead of having
            to deal with CSX.

            Now the only problem with all of this is that if I'm smart
            enough to have figured it out, even the blokes at CSX should
            be able to figure it out and put the kibosh to it.---Andy

            --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Keller <akeller_1979@...> wrote:

            > Andy,
            >
            > Why would the FGLK even want the northern end of the NYS&W Syracuse line?  The only business I know of between Jamesville (the quarry) and Homer would be one grain elevator in Tully.  Whatever was going to happen at Apulia dried up a long time ago, didn't it?
            >
            > The rumors persist about the line between Utica and Sherburne being sold to the MA&N, however, I've not seen it happen, and who knows if it will.
            >
            > -Aaron

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to: