RE: [FJGRailroad] FROM THE ARCHIVES

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 20, 2009
      I always enjoy seeing what is in someone else's archives......

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: akeller_1979@...
      Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 22:45:55 -0700
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] FROM THE ARCHIVES

      From the archives:

      ============ ========= ========
      RAILWAY EXPRESS AGENCY, RECEIPTS AND EXPENSES OF COMMISSION AGENTS
      F., J. & G. R. R. CO., BROADALBIN, N.Y.
      DECEMBER 1, 1946 TO DECEMBER 31, 1946
      COMMISSIONS OR FIXED ALLOWANCES CLAIMED ON AGENCY BALANCE SHEET:  $65.03.
      COMMISSION ON FINANCIAL PAPERS:  $0.40.
      NET AMOUNT OF COMPENSATION FOR PERSONAL SERVICES:  $65.43.
      RAILROAD RETIREMENT TAX:  $2.64.
      FEDERAL INCOME TAX:  $4.93.
      AGENT:  R. SCHWEMM.
      ============ ========= ========

      The following letter was sent after someone complained to Gloversville about the Broadalbin station being closed, apparently when the agent was out delivering the mail to the post office.

      ============ ========= ========
      OCTOBER 1, 1943

      MR. R. SCHWEMM, AGENT, BROADALBIN, N.Y.

      DEAR SIR:

      YOUR LETTER OF SEPTEMBER 30, 1943.

      PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE SERVICE AT YOUR STATION.  WHAT I WANTED TO KNOW WAS WHAT YOUR HOURS ARE SO THAT IF ANY ONE INQUIRES I WILL KNOW WHAT TO TELL THEM.  THINGS THAT YOU TELL ME IS CERTAINLY JUSTIFIED AND KEEP IT UP IF YOU WISH IF IT IS IN INTEREST OF THE RAILROAD COMPANY.

      YOURS TRULY,
      A. E. CUMMINGS, SUPERINTENDENT.
      ============ ========= ========

      ============ ========= ========
      THE CLEVELAND FRUIT JUICE COMPANY
      MANUFACTURERS
      GOLDENMOON FRUITS AND FLAVORS, FOR THE SODA FOUNTAIN
      FLAVORS OF DISTINCTION, FOR ICE CREAM

      OCTOBER 11, 1949

      FREIGHT AGENT
      FONDA, JOHNSTOWN & GLOVERSVILLE RAILROAD CO.
      BROADALBAIN, NEW YORK

      DEAR SIR:

      ON JUNE 17, 1949, WE MADE SHIPMENT CONSIGNED TO BROADALBIN DRUG, BROADALBIN, NEW YORK, CONSISTING OF 7 CARTONS WEIGHING 371 POUNDS COVER BY NEW YORK CENTRAL WAYBILL #42074

      CONSIGNEE REPORTS DAMAGE ON THIS SHIPMENT.  WILL YOU KINDLY FURNISH US WITH A COPY OF THE FINAL DELIVERY RECEIPT, NOTING ANY DAMAGE WHICH MAY HAVE OCCURRED ON THIS SHIPMENT.

      YOURS VERY TRULY,
      WALTER G. BURKE
      ============ ========= ========

      ============ ========= ========
      CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY COMPANY, MONTREAL

      MR. J. T. BLUNCK
      GENERAL FREIGHT & PASSENGER AGENT,
      FONDA, JOHNSTOWN & GLOVERSVILLE RR CO.,
      GLOVERSVILLE, N.Y. U.S.A.

      DEAR MR. BLUNCK:

      REPLYING TO YOUR LETTER OF MARCH 28TH INQUIRING ABOUT TRAIN SERVICE TO QUEBEC IN CONNECTION WITH THE FORTHCOMING ANNUAL SESSION OF THE ASSOICATION OF AMERICAN RAILROADS' FREIGHT CLAIM DIVISION.

      YOU MAY REQUEST PASS TRANSPORTATION OVER THE DELAWARE & HUDSON FROM ALBANY TO MONTREAL, AND OVER THE CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY FROM MONTREAL TO QUEBEC AND RETURN, THROUGH THE REGULAR PASS CHANNELS.  THERE ARE NO RESTRICTIONS ON THE TRAINS YOU INTEND USING BETWEEN ALBANY AND QUEBEC.  INCIDENTALLY, ALTHOUGH THE TRAIN FROM MONTREAL ARRIVES AT QUEBEC AT 5.40AM, YOU WILL BE GOOD IN THE SLEEPER UNTIL 8AM.

      YOU HAVE NOT INQUIRED ABOUT THE RETURN JOURNEY AND I PRESUME YOU ARE CLEAR ON THAT FEATURE.  MAY I SUGGEST YOU MAKE YOUR TRAIN RESERVATIONS GOING AND RETURNING AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE, TO AVOID ANY LAST MINUTE DISAPPOINTMENTS AND I TRUST YOU WILL HAVE A VERY ENJOYABLE STAY IN THIS COUNTRY.

      YOURS TRULY,
      W. CATHRALL (signature not totally legible)
      MEMBER, TRANSPORTATION COMMITTEE.

      That's about all that's left in the archives here in Missouri.

      -Aaron

      HotmailĀ® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.