From The Archives - Give me a date

    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 19, 2009
      Well there was certainly a great deal of previously unknown info in response to my question about an end date for the FJ&G. But I am still not sure what date to use......

      Ideally I would think the date that the guys from A&K began scrapping the line would work. There does seem to be some question as to when exactly Rome Locomotive took the cars off the line but even if we did know exactly, there is still the idea that these were not revenue runs. I am kind of thinking the last run the 103 made to Fonda probably makes the most sense.

      So think about everything we have discussed here and tell me what date you would choose and why. I will declare the official end date of the FJ&G based upon this discussion and it shall be so entered into the annals of the FJ&G Yahoo Group for ever more!

      And remember, while we are discussing such heady matters as this, I am always interested in knowing, What's in your archives?

      Windows Live™ Contacts: Organize your contact list. Check it out.
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 19, 2009
        Joe,

        I'd say the last run in November of 84 would be the end of an era...

        Gino

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 19, 2009
          That foggy morning when the last train started from Patch Road to Fonda was November 26, 1984. Like the earlier abandonment of the Northville line the last official train was not the last train to operate over the line.  The last official Northville train was the late night gas car, no. 200, from Northville on March 15, 1930. However the photos of No. 12 with cars and an entourage were taken on the 16th, when the company "cleaned up" the line.  Abandonment is officially on the 15th.

          The DO continued to move cars on the FJ&G and switched Omnicology on Nov. 28 according to a Leader Herald story of Nov. 29, 1984.

          I'm using the last official train for the date, understanding that although the railroad was "out of business," business remained to be completed.

          Now, does anyone know if DO went back to Gloversville with a locomotive in 1985?

          PKL

          To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: riverlinejoe@...
          Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 21:16:07 +0000

[...]

          Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for Hotmail®. See how.
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 19, 2009
            Joe,

            FJ&G:  Nov. 29, 1870, to Nov. 27, 1984.  First revenue train; last revenue train.

            There's no question whatsoever as to when RLW took the cars off the line:  September and October, 1988.  The operation took nearly a month and a half from an operations standpoint; it was not a single day or even two or three days.  Eighty six boxcars, three at a time to Fonda; some required more than one move as they were on the northern end of the line.  You can see why it took so long.  Apart from moving the cars, each required an inspection and some repair work.  The track also needed repair.  A few rails (near Hussman's, I believe) were even replaced due to a heat kink.  A few switches needed work.  As we discussed the first car was inspected Sept. 12, 1988, and the final car on Oct. 18, 1988.  The cars were being moved within a few days of their inspections.  The only problem with pegging down the exact moving dates for each car is that I am in Missouri and the daily interchange reports to CR are in storage in Gloversville.  My arms don't reach that far.  Next time I'm in Gloversville I'll pull the reports and inform you as to the specifics.  I believe the daily interchange reports had specific dates.

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 20, 2009

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: akeller_1979@...
              Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 22:07:35 -0700
              Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] From The Archives - Give me a date

              Maybe that is how I will record it.

              FJ&G:  Nov. 29, 1870, to Nov. 27, 1984.  First revenue train; last revenue train.

              -Aaron

              Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 20, 2009
                The first revenue train on the FJ&G operated in October of 1870, around the 19th or 20th.  These "extra" or "wild" freight moves continued.  The first "official" passenger train ran on November 29, 1870.

                PKL

                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                From: akeller_1979@...
                Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 22:07:35 -0700

[...]

                Internet Explorer 8 – Now Available. Faster, safer, easier. Download FREE now!
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 21, 2009
                  Somehow I am not getting any closer am I?

                  To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  From: pklarner@...
                  Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:28:12 -0400

                  To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 22, 2009
                    Paul,

                    I'm gonna say that I am 99.9 % sure that a locomotive never returned to the FJ&G
                    after November of 1984.  Eber knew of that move by calling the DO offices and
                    asking when something might happen.  There were a few false starts I guess.
                    The date of the 27th is what Eber had written on the back of his photos.  May he
                    have been off by a day or two in labeling his photos?  I don't recall seeing an
                    article in the Leader about the Omnicology move.  How did I miss it!

                    Gino

                    To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    From: riverlinejoe@...
                    Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 21:16:07 +0000

                    --
                    http://fjgrr.org
                    http://ginosrailpage.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 23, 2009
                      Whaddaya all mean that the FJ&G stopped hosting
                      trains in November 1984? I saw one running
                      on the FJ&G just the other day. Of course, by
                      that I'm referring to the 6-mile stretch of the Fonda,
                      Johnstown, and Gloversville which (legally) runs
                      from downtown Syracuse to the Syracuse suburb
                      of Jamesville.

                      Incidentally, the amount of traffic on that FJ&G
                      is way, way down since Walter Rich died. There
                      is very little business north of the Binghamton-
                      Cortland turn job and the amount of through
                      trains from Binghamton to CSX in Syracuse is
                      down dramatically. Plus, there is no passenger
                      service at all. The OnTrack city Budd cars went
                      out of business a year and a half ago and the
                      Carrier Dome spectator trains stopped running
                      in 2008.

                      There has been some serious talk of the Finger Lakes
                      Railroad acquiring the line from the Susie Q. Were
                      that the case, there'd be no further use for the
                      FJ&G's New York State Charter, since Finger Lakes has its own.
                      So the final death of the FJ&G could be immenient.
                      ---Andy

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 23, 2009
                        Am cleaning up and putting away information from Book 1 and cross checking to make sure I have everything entered before putting the papers in storage.  What do I find but an overlooked newspaper entry, buried on a page with an entry that was noticed, which gives the date and locomotive id for the very first train to "darken the rails of the Fonda, Johnstown and Gloversville Railroad."

                        From the Mohawk Vally Democrat of August 27, 1870: GRAND EXCURSION. - An excursion train, drawn by Engine "36" Larry Murry, Engineer, passed over the Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville Railroad to its terminus, on Wednesday afternoon.  Engine "36," let it be recorded, was the first to darken the rails of the new road.  Teamsters stood amazed, and like Othello, "thought their occupation gone."

                        Wednesday of that week was August 24, 1870.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 23, 2009
                          When they said "Teamsters," they weren't talking UPS, right?  They meant horse
                          and wagon, right?

                          Gino

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 23, 2009
                            Just got off the phone with the other principal of the last train date.  It is confirmed the date was November 26, 1984 when the photos were taken.  Also after the 26th there were no none Delaware Otsego cars remaining on the former FJ&G line.

                            Further:  The last two revenue cars carried over the line were covered hoppers, inbound to Coleco, June 5, 1984.  Belief is the cars at Omnicology, being private cars, had been on line for a long while.  Stilll not known if they were loaded or empty when taken down on the 26th.

                            So Joe, if you haven't already applied the paint, and since you really want to cover the actual and not the official dates. they are 8/24/70 to 11/26/84.

                            PKL

                            To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 23, 2009
                              Well i guess that settles it! I am sure glad I asked the question. A lot of neat stuff came up. That is mopre activity that I havbe seen on the FJ&G list in a little while.

                              To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 23, 2009
                                When you say no more DO cars, what do you mean?  There were the blue-DO
                                boxcars, but that's not what you're saying, right?

                                Gino

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 23, 2009
                                  He means non-Delaware Otsego cars.  In other words, all the cars that were NOT owned by the DO were taken off the line the on date of the last run, Nov. 26th, 1984.  Privately owned freight cars, such as the ones at Omnicology, incur fees when they're on someone else's line.  Getting those cars off the line meant that the railroad could just sit in abandonment.

                                  I wonder how much they were paying in property taxes.  I was told in the mid 1990s that DO still owned property in the Gloversville and Mayfield area, and possibly in Johnstown; a couple isolated pockets as it was described to me.  That came straight from the tax people in Cooperstown with whom I spoke one day.

                                  -Aaron

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 23, 2009
                                    I meant that there were Delaware Otsego cars on the line.  Didn't they own
                                    those cars or were they the same deal as the PC cars which were kind of
                                    rented by the FJG?DO, right?

                                    Gino

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 23, 2009
                                      Joe,

                                      You've had enough of this thread?  I love it!

                                      Gino

                                      To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 23, 2009
                                        That should have read "no non DO cars."   Meaning everything left on line was somehow affiliated with the DO organization - FJG, LASB whatever.  None of the cars on the list developed by Rome four years later appear to be marketable as freight vehicles.

                                        The ex Penn Central green cars are a story in and of themselves.

                                        PKL

                                        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 23, 2009
                                          Gino,
                                          The way I understood the deal to work (because I set up a similar transaction for an investor once upon a time) the key is the shortline reporting marks pre 197? because they are grandfathered into a different rate division than newer short lines or the bigger railroads. I actaully hired an appraiser who opined that two sets of cars that were identical in age, one with shortline reporting marks and one with non-qualifying shortline reporting marks, the shortline cars were more valuable because of the higher rate division. One other very important aspect of the deal was that you could designate the cars as floating or roaming meaning that they could be loaded by anyone anywhere and did not have to be returned to thier home road. I have forgotten more about the details than I have put down here. On the M&NJ when the cars began to return "Home" because of the eceonomic downturn, Pete Rasmussen (President of the M&NJ) told me that they literally had to go out with chainsaws and cut back the ROW that had not seen a train in twenty plus years. This even though he did not actualluy own the cars.

                                           The actual owner of much (but I am not sure all) of the equipment was a gentleman down south who owned the Louisiana Midland (that is why the LOAM spreader showed up on the FJ&G). I do not know the exact affiliation but there was one.

                                          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                                          From: pklarner@hotmail. com
                                          Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:41:54 -0400

                                          Am cleaning up and putting away information from Book 1 and cross checking to make sure I have everything entered before putting the papers in storage.  What do I find but an overlooked newspaper entry, buried on a page with an entry that was noticed, which gives the date and locomotive id for the very first train to "darken the rails of the Fonda, Johnstown and Gloversville Railroad."

                                          From the Mohawk Vally Democrat of August 27, 1870: GRAND EXCURSION. - An excursion train, drawn by Engine "36" Larry Murry, Engineer, passed over the Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville Railroad to its terminus, on Wednesday afternoon.  Engine "36," let it be recorded, was the first to darken the rails of the new road.  Teamsters stood amazed, and like Othello, "thought their occupation gone."

                                          Wednesday of that week was August 24, 1870.

                                          PKL

                                          Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for Hotmail®. See how.

                                          Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.

                                          --
                                          http://fjgrr. org
                                          http://ginosrailpag e.com
                                          http://ginostrolley page.com
                                          http://ginosmusicse rvice.com

                                          Get quick access to your favorite MSN content with Internet Explorer 8. Download FREE now!
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 23, 2009
                                            There was one LOAM car left on the FJ&G after the "last train" (whatever your definition of the last train may be).  The LOAM bought a good percentage of those old Penn Central boxcars as well.

                                            The car left behind was LOAM 127025, looks like it was on the siding between Hill St. and N. Main St. in Gloversville, although if memory serves me right it may have been in the Gloversville yard.  I don't have the full inventory in front of me.  LOAM 127025 needed 8 quarts of oil, one quart for each journal box, when inspected on 9/13/88, but since it didn't have any brakes it stayed in Gloversville for scrap.

                                            I have records here of another LASB car, 127012, which puts the LOAM car in a weird spot.  And there is a photo taken by Walt Danylak of LOAM 12700? sitting in Gloversville.

                                            The FJ&G cars were 138, 126, and 153 series cars.  The LASB cars were primarily 126 and 127 series cars.  My 80s copy of the official register is not in front of me.

                                            I was under the impression that the Delaware Otsego repaints were no different than the cars left in green paint.  The cars were painted as time and manpower allowed, or at least that is what I have been told, or assumed.  Some were painted out in the open in Gloversville.  Some type of scaffolding was attached to the old express truck and from there the cars were sprayed.

                                            I have a photo here somewhere of a car painted solid blue in the west yard.  It had just gotten its blue dip and was about to get stenciled in yellow.

                                            The stencils for these boxcars, including the Adirondack Beauty logo, remained on the property --- either in the freight house or in the paint shop --- until those buildings came down in the mid 1990s.  Another set of items I did not get to save.

                                            One of the FJ&G cars was listed as being in dedicated service for someplace in South Dakota.  It's hard to read the sencil on the side.

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 23, 2009
                                              Joe and Gino,  The money was called incentive per diem (IPD).  I was doing car service during some of those years.  The railroad realizing they were being taken to the cleaners in per diem charges, that is the amount paid per day (originally and hourly after some date back in the sixties) by the holding railroad for the time the car is on their line, paid to non railroad (bogus) businesses.  IPD was established to assist in solving the shortage of good box cars.   I wrote something on this a long while ago but to understand this better I think anyone interested will find plenty on google using the term "incentive per diem."  You can also look up the "car service rules" and "car hire rules" during that heady period of easy money for high earning professionals with cash to spare.  (Kind of like buying ethanol stocks three years ago and holding them. Does derivatives ring a bell?)

                                              Those covered hoppers used by Omnicology were more likely than not, private cars.  The railroads  pay only a rate per mile run for privately owned cars, whereas for railroad owned cars  the handling carrier pays "time/mileage charges,"  so much per mile plus so much per hour (hence the need for a qualifying RR reporting mark to entitle one for IPD).  While those cars sat at Omnicology they cost the rr nothing.  They were likely leased to Omnicology who paid a term lease depending on their quality and need.  Some private cars are trip leased others are company leased for terms.  Those time mileage expenses are figured into the freight rate, as should be the first free days of time after placement for rr owned cars, thus passing the cost on to the shipper/receiver then ultimately the customer.  The more I write on this the more I recall.  So I'll stop.  It can all be looked up if you care.

                                              The other factor mentioned but not related to IPD is the change in the car hire rules to hourly accounting from daily accounting.  That eliminated the daily race to the 23:00 interchange, a fundamental factor in freight train dispatching a generation ago.  Understanding these chages will help understand part of the changes in the railroad industry through the past fifty years.  And of course the Staggers Act (railroad deregulation) maybe more than anything else permitted changes in the railroad business model.

                                              Many interesting (or boring  by perspective) books available on the transition years in the industry.

                                              PKL

                                              To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                              From: riverlinejoe@...
                                              Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 01:04:32 +0000