Re: Engine Roster

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
      Aaron,

      Get your priorities right! Do you really need to be in college!!!

      Paul

      PS: I am too!

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
        Believe it or not, there seems to be a new mystery to their roster every
        week. Walt turned up an 1879 item indicating the FJ&G was receiving another
        locomotive. Can't figure since their capitalization records don't indicate a
        locomotive purchased about this time. Not even a second hand one. We do
        know that for repairs in the years before the FJ&G constructed their own
        shop all repairs had to be done at Schenectady. The is interesting. Am
        especially anxious to know the methodology in documenting the builders,
        other than the available Schenectady records and the obvious Manchester bell
        on the Pioneer.

        The Schenectady nos. are easy to check. There is a picture of a Brook's
        engine strongly believed to be pictured on the FJ&G, because of the source
        and other material acquired at the same time ???.

        Here's some further info.: The four Manhattan types were acquired in the
        first six months of 1903. They were numbered 1, 2, 4, and 11, the open
        numbers on the roster at that time. No. 4 (127 Blt 1896) arrived March 30,
        1903; No. 11 (130 Blt 1895) arrived April 23, 1903 The one and only No. 5
        was still on the roster and have a reference to it in use on the electric
        road extension project. Probably not too convenient hence the purchase of
        the Forneys. No. 5 was retired from the books along with Forneys 1, 4, 11
        in fiscal year ended 6/30/05. No. 4 being sold to the Burton Lumber Co. I
        have no readily available info on the Forneys 1 and 2, except No. 1 was
        built in 1895. No. 2 is a blank though it is the only one I can recall
        seeing in a photo. Built date references are from a letter to the company
        re inspection of the engines before acquisition. We need to reconcile these
        dates with the dates given in the roster.

        The FJ&G acquired two "small" locomotives and two "small" coaches in fiscal
        6/30/93 to compete with the Cayadutta. This didn't last long as The FJ&G
        fell into NYC hands, through a little bit of conspiracy, then was turned
        over to the Cayadutta through a little more conniving. Mr. Caten and the
        Littauer Brothers were instrumental in this bit of trickery. No record of
        when the locos were retired though the company took a $500 credit in FY
        1897.

        The company also, at least as far as I can determine, did not capitalize
        Nos. 7, 10 (1893 by the Builder's numbers) or 2nd No. 3 (1894). Old 3 and 4
        were allegedly taken in exchange for 2nd No. 3. However there is reference
        to No. 4 in 1897. Perhaps not the same loco.

        I believe 1st No. 3 was a 4-6-0, 1st No. 4 a 4-4-0. This would be
        consistent with the Commissioner's report and the best available info today.

        Reports FY 12/1/70 none listed FY 1875 4 engines
        FY 11/28/71 2 engines FY 1876-79 5 engines
        FY 1872 3 engines FY 1880 3 as 2(4 wheel)-1(six wheel)
        FY 1873 3 engines FY 1881 5 as 3-2
        FY 1874 3 engines

        The inconsistency from 79 to 80 then 81 may be explained by the fact one
        freight and one passenger engine were acquired about the time the FJ&G
        undertook the operation of the Gloversville and Northville Railroad, which
        wasn't acquired until 1881, but never owned any locomotives of their own.
        They had a two stall engine house according to the NYSRRComRpts. and may
        explain an oversight by the person who filed the report. Money numbers
        didn't vary.

        During the late 1880's and maybe into 1891 the FJ&G did a lot of contract
        work for the New York Power and Equipment Co. They rebuilt locomotives which
        were then sold to other railroads. They also rebuilt their own locomotives,
        so much so that they are confused as being another locomotive. New cabs,
        tenders, smoke box extensions, fire boxes, trucks you name it they did it
        for NYP&E and for themselves. I have a picture of No. 2 at Broadalbin that
        resembles the one in Dave Nestle's book only when you look close at the
        domes and engine. Smoke box and cab are diferent. Nos 1, 2, 4 were
        extensively rebuilt by FJ&G.

        Anyway if you haven't figured by now this is going a little long and won't
        answer all the questions (going back to my first sentence) I'm working the
        1893 papers at present and Walt is working in the late 70's, early eighties
        right now and we aren't any closer to closing the gap. After I gather as
        much as I can find, I'll try to put another roster together, but I'm afraid
        the 80's to 1893 are going to always have a hole or two.

        Question: Does any one know anything about the NYP&E Co. Eg: who were the
        directors and officers, where was their office (we know their work was done
        in Gloversville), how long did they continue in business. Or does anyone
        know how I can find this out. Corporate records during this period appear
        to be in the couty files, not state.

        Now does this get another discussion going?

        I haven't been able to follow up on the waiting shelter in Perth, however if
        someone wants to reconstruct it it is available, with a small condition.

        Gino, a note from the Bridge Line HS ask your questioner to join the group
        and to offer his material. There's a lot of research out there that's lying
        dormant.

        PKL

      • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 1999
          Thanks for all the info Paul!

          Gino

          ----------

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 3, 1999
            Gino, would your source like to communicate with me on this roster. He has
            information I would like to have as corroboration? Has he joinedthe group?
            Walt Danyluk has the most extensive collection of news reports and much
            other info re FJ&G, tons of original research. I'm still plugging in the
            archives at the NYS Library.

            PKL

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 1999
              Hi Gino,

              Walt also has all the articles ever published in the railroad magazines over the
              years. It would be nice if they could be posted to the group.

              Paul

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 4, 1999
                Paul,

                Does Walt have an e-mail address, or can he be reached only by mail?

                Gino

                ----------

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 4, 1999
                  Paul,

                  I haven't heard a response from him. I'm just trying to get some
                  discussions going on the list. Especially yours and Aarons because
                  you guys don't skimp on the details. I've asked him to join the list
                  but still no reply...

                  Gino

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 4, 1999
                    Hi Gino,

                    Has Walt moved to Gloversville? He used to be in Syracuse.

                    The other Paul!