RE: [FJGRailroad] IDEAS

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 12, 2009
      I've got $20 bucks for paint.

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: akeller_1979@...
      Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 01:44:10 -0700
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] IDEAS

      Group,

      I have a couple ideas for a get together (or two get-togethers) .

      (1) Does anyone care to chip in and buy about two gallons of white paint, a small can of black paint, and seek permission to repaint the concrete whistle and mileposts on the rail trail?  The railroad had these things painted up back in the day; now of course they are just bare concrete.  At last survey one of the mileposts was just last year banged up quite badly by a brush cutter; likely due to the fact that the cutting crew probably couldn't distinguish the milepost from similarly colored trees growing around it.  Having them painted would (1) serve as a reminder they're there for both the DPW crews and the passing public; and (2) give us something to do.  The down side of course is that by making them stick out we could invite vandalism.  What does this group think?

      (2) An idea for any type of get-together is to bring the best flatbed scanner available, attach it to a computer, and offer to do free on-the-spot digital archiving and photo restoration for anyone in the public, group members, etc.  The images would go to whomever the original photo holder wants to have copies --- if only the original image holder, then only to him or her; or if to the museum, then to the museum; or if to everyone, then to everyone.  The idea being that perhaps someone will bring in some old photos or etc. that could be scanned, corrected, and preserved; and then perhaps shared.  The availability of this service could easily be advertised before the event.  I personally enjoy working with photos and the process on my iMac is quick and easy; and it looks good when finished.

      Again, throw out your opinions, suggestions, or rotten tomatoes on points one and two.

      There are photos of a few whistleposts and mileposts under Files > Aaron's Pictures and Files > Concrete Signs

      http://finance. groups.yahoo. com/group/ FJGRailroad/ files/Aaron% 27s%20Pictures% 20and%20Files/ Concrete% 20Signs/

      -Aaron

      Windows Liveā„¢: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.
    • andrewsfusco
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 13, 2009
        I like the idea because its better than
        doing nothing. I'm willing to contribute
        money for supplies. However, it could be
        a bit of a longer project than anticipated,
        if done right, because we oughta haul in
        some water and Quikcrete and point
        up some of the remaining mile markers
        before painting. A couple of them are
        not well. Also, hauling in coolers of beer
        for us workers could be strenguous as
        well. I'm getting thirsty just planning it.
        ----Andy Fusco

        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Keller <akeller_1979@...> wrote:

        > Group,
        >
        > I have a couple ideas for a get together (or two get-togethers).
        >
        > (1) Does anyone care to chip in and buy about two gallons of white paint, a small can of black paint, and seek permission to repaint the concrete whistle and mileposts on the rail trail? The railroad had these things painted up back in the day; now of course they are just bare concrete. At last survey one of the mileposts was just last year banged up quite badly by a brush cutter; likely due to the fact that the cutting crew probably couldn't distinguish the milepost from similarly colored trees growing around it. Having them painted would (1) serve as a reminder they're there for both the DPW crews and the passing public; and (2) give us something to do. The down side of course is that by making them stick out we could invite vandalism. What does this group think?
        >
        > (2) An idea for any type of get-together is to bring the best flatbed scanner available, attach it to a computer, and offer to do free on-the-spot digital archiving and photo restoration for anyone in the public, group members, etc. The images would go to whomever the original photo holder wants to have copies --- if only the original image holder, then only to him or her; or if to the museum, then to the museum; or if to everyone, then to everyone. The idea being that perhaps someone will bring in some old photos or etc. that could be scanned, corrected, and preserved; and then perhaps shared. The availability of this service could easily be advertised before the event. I personally enjoy working with photos and the process on my iMac is quick and easy; and it looks good when finished.
        >
        > Again, throw out your opinions, suggestions, or rotten tomatoes on points one and two.
        >
        > There are photos of a few whistleposts and mileposts under Files > Aaron's Pictures and Files > Concrete Signs

        > -Aaron

      • johnnychristman
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 13, 2009
          I think these are great ideas! I would love to come, and I will purchase the Quikcrete right out since this would be my first function!

          John Christman

          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "andrewsfusco" <fusco@...> wrote:

          > I like the idea because its better than
          > doing nothing. I'm willing to contribute
          > money for supplies. However, it could be
          > a bit of a longer project than anticipated,
          > if done right, because we oughta haul in
          > some water and Quikcrete and point
          > up some of the remaining mile markers
          > before painting. A couple of them are
          > not well. Also, hauling in coolers of beer
          > for us workers could be strenguous as
          > well. I'm getting thirsty just planning it.
          > ----Andy Fusco
          >

          > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Keller <akeller_1979@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Group,
          > >
          > > I have a couple ideas for a get together (or two get-togethers).
          > >
          > > (1) Does anyone care to chip in and buy about two gallons of white paint, a small can of black paint, and seek permission to repaint the concrete whistle and mileposts on the rail trail? The railroad had these things painted up back in the day; now of course they are just bare concrete. At last survey one of the mileposts was just last year banged up quite badly by a brush cutter; likely due to the fact that the cutting crew probably couldn't distinguish the milepost from similarly colored trees growing around it. Having them painted would (1) serve as a reminder they're there for both the DPW crews and the passing public; and (2) give us something to do. The down side of course is that by making them stick out we could invite vandalism. What does this group think?
          > >
          > > (2) An idea for any type of get-together is to bring the best flatbed scanner available, attach it to a computer, and offer to do free on-the-spot digital archiving and photo restoration for anyone in the public, group members, etc. The images would go to whomever the original photo holder wants to have copies --- if only the original image holder, then only to him or her; or if to the museum, then to the museum; or if to everyone, then to everyone. The idea being that perhaps someone will bring in some old photos or etc. that could be scanned, corrected, and preserved; and then perhaps shared. The availability of this service could easily be advertised before the event. I personally enjoy working with photos and the process on my iMac is quick and easy; and it looks good when finished.
          > >
          > > Again, throw out your opinions, suggestions, or rotten tomatoes on points one and two.
          > >
          > > There are photos of a few whistleposts and mileposts under Files > Aaron's Pictures and Files > Concrete Signs

          > > -Aaron

        • johnnychristman
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 13, 2009

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 13, 2009
              Why haul in water when you've got the Cayadutta Creek?

              Gino

              doing nothing. I'm willing to contribute
              money for supplies. However, it could be
              a bit of a longer project than anticipated,
              if done right, because we oughta haul in
              some water and Quikcrete and point
              up some of the remaining mile markers
              before painting. A couple of them are
              not well. Also, hauling in coolers of beer
              for us workers could be strenguous as
              well. I'm getting thirsty just planning it.
              ----Andy Fusco

              --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, Aaron Keller <akeller_1979@ ...> wrote:

              > Group,
              >
              > I have a couple ideas for a get together (or two
              get-togethers) .

              > (1) Does anyone care to chip in and buy
              about two gallons of white paint, a small can of black paint, and seek permission to repaint the concrete whistle and mileposts on the rail trail? The railroad had these things painted up back in the day; now of course they are just bare concrete. At last survey one of the mileposts was just last year banged up quite badly by a brush cutter; likely due to the fact that the cutting crew probably couldn't distinguish the milepost from similarly colored trees growing around it. Having them painted would (1) serve as a reminder they're there for both the DPW crews and the passing public; and (2) give us something to do. The down side of course is that by making them stick out we could invite vandalism. What does this group think?

              > (2) An idea for any
              type of get-together is to bring the best flatbed scanner available, attach it to a computer, and offer to do free on-the-spot digital archiving and photo restoration for anyone in the public, group members, etc. The images would go to whomever the original photo holder wants to have copies --- if only the original image holder, then only to him or her; or if to the museum, then to the museum; or if to everyone, then to everyone. The idea being that perhaps someone will bring in some old photos or etc. that could be scanned, corrected, and preserved; and then perhaps shared. The availability of this service could easily be advertised before the event. I personally enjoy working with photos and the process on my iMac is quick and easy; and it looks good when finished.

              > Again, throw out your opinions, suggestions, or rotten
              tomatoes on points one and two.

              > There are photos of a few
              whistleposts and mileposts under Files > Aaron's Pictures and Files > Concrete Signs

              > -Aaron

            • Richard Finn
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 14, 2009
                Only if it is POTABLE!

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 15, 2009
                  Righting the leaning mileposts is a good idea.  However, be prepared for heavy work.  Righting the Tower of Pisa might be easier.  The whistleposts are ridiculously heavy and the mileposts are worse yet.  I would guess it would take six men to lift a whistle post.  I have tried with at least one other person to lift one that exists in a ditch, not anywhere near the current bike path, and it was impossible.

                  If we want to approach the city about forming a work detail made up of us volunteers, here are the suggestions I would make.  All of them are easily doable except for suggestion #3.

                  (1) Southbound whistlepost between Townsend Ave and the Gloversville Industrial Park, Station 402+85, Repaint (this one is in excellent shape).  Easiest way to get to this one is ito park near the old Industrial Park Wye and walk south towards the big curve.
                  (2) Whistleposts between Hill St. and S. Main St., Station 468+27 and 468+95, Repaint, even though they are broken.
                  (3) Reinstall milepost F9, Station 475+75, which is laying discarded to the side.  Repaint.  (This one is on the wish list; good luck trying to dig a hole and lift it).
                  (4) Whistlepost at Foster Street, Station 547+73, Repaint (this one is in excellent shape).
                  (5) Milepost F11, north of Kingsboro Ave., Repair and Repaint (this one has some heavy gashes into the concrete; is there a way to get concrete that will stick long enough to plug them up?
                  (6) Milepost F12, Station 634+16, south of Dennie's Crossing, Repair and Repaint (this one was in excellent shape when I photographed it in 1997; it has been since bashed up by one of those brush cutters attached to a hydraulic arm).
                  (7) Whistlepost, Station 638+70, south of Dennie's Crossing, Repaint (was in excellent shape the last I visited; sits somewhat away from the right-of-way).

                  I don't believe any other concrete signs exist.

                  The rationale for the work detail is to give us something to do and then to encourage use and appreciation of the trail as a historic asset.

                  If we're gonna do this, let's get some really good stuff like ArmorClad, ArmorProxy, or LikeNu that will resist water.  It's supposed to be better than regular paint.

                  Who wants to rebuild the whole railroad?  (Just kidding).

                  -Aaron

                  Postscript:

                  Did the electric division have mileposts?  It had whistleposts.