RE: [FJGRailroad] The Missing Link!

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 10, 2009
      Neat to see the missing image finally come to light!

      You didn't find the secret files on the JFK assassination, did you?

      Gino

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 10, 2009
        The JFK files were unfortunately not in the freight house.  Perhaps it would have been a good place to store such things, however, as it seems no one went up to the attic before the building came down.

        The front of the building as we know had two stories.  The downstairs (slightly elevated from the concrete addition of the 1950s) was once home to the local freight agent and I believe there was a counter inside for paying freight bills.  The counter was long gone when the building came down.

        The second floor was empty when the building was torn down.  The edges of the roof of the second floor were gabled so as to allow the roof to continue upward at the appropriate slope.

        In the very top of the building was an attic of the old-fashioned type; a trap door opened to what must have been a crawl space; and in that crawl space I am told were blueprints to Sacandaga Park and other buildings on the line.  The City of Gloversville destroyed those records even though I had asked for all material and paperwork to be saved and placed one of two places:  either in the city archives, if they wanted it, or in my hands, if they didn't.  Ultimately I was told that the records were thrown in the Gloversville dump.

        No one believed that there was anything in the crawl space, so the story of the demolition was related to me on the afternoon the building came down.  City crews pulled down the back of the building and all the documents came loose and went flying.  When I got done with school I went down there to find many of the records laying in the mud.  The rest had already been carted away.

        I don't know if I can blame anyone for losing what was lost.  The building was not stable.  The crawl space would have required two things:  a very large ladder; and people willing to risk their safety to go up there and look and see what was available.  And of course at that time the building was the city's property; I know for a fact that the risk managers did not want safety risked (read:  possible lawsuits pending) as the result of historical exploration.

        I saved what little was left by the time I got down there to observe; mostly freight claims that were submitted to the railroad's insurance.  They contain little historical value other than to show where some of the shipments were coming and going.

        Among the neat items which I have mentioned to most of you before and shown those of you who were interested were a series of commercials taken out by the railroad on WENT radio.  The railroad had retained the broadcast copy sheets read by the announcers.  They were smooth and breezy and in the format of 1950s era radio.

        Re:  JFK.  Try the Freedom of Information Act; or the FBI's website; which contains declassified files on many famous public figures.

        -Aaron

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 10, 2009
          If there had been eBay in 1995, perhaps the blueprints in the attic may still be around!
          I want to say that amy people view more items as "collectibles" now, which may have
          been viewed as "junk" in the past...

          Gino

          http://fjgrr.org
          http://ginosrailpage.com
          http://ginostrolleypage.com
          http://ginosmusicservice.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 10, 2009
            Gino,

            That is true.  What was junk is now a collectible.

            I have always wondered if the story given to me --- that the material went to the dump --- is inaccurate; perhaps someone else does have the material.  If so it has remained hidden for more than a decade.

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 10, 2009
                I have reasons to believe it did in fact go to the dump.  The mashed up mess of timbers, etc. were dumped on the far northern side of the Gloversville landfill, before it was capped off.

                I assume the story given to me was correct; that the documents went there in the same dump trucks as the rest.  And the days this work was done were generally rainy and dreary; I was not about to dig around in a twisted mass of timbers on private property at the city dump looking for wet, muddy, torn, shredded documents.  Once they were gone, they were gone; it would have been an exercise in futility to try to get them back.

                I am sorry to say that I was unable to preserve the unique trim that was on the top of the building.  I always wanted to put that stuff somewhere.  I believe it was so rotted that it fell apart directly upon demolition.

                -Aaron

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 10, 2009
                  Speaking of the dump, I remember going there in the 80's on a Sunday.  It was closed, but we
                  used to park at the gate and walk in to throw out "weekend" trash.  There was always someone in
                  the bottom of the dumpster looking for anything and someone out in the landfill fighting the seagulls
                  for whatever was salvageable.

                  Gino

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 10, 2009
                    Fortunately there were people who knew there was wisdom in saving it.  There is still a cellar full of paper from over the paint shop in Gloversville.  Trouble with this paper: it's priceless while having no value.  Secondly those who salvaged it are now at the point of needing to find someone else to keep it.  This material I'm going through now is mostly junk largely because of the amount of duplicate recording of information done by the railroads.  Waybills, freight bills, demurrage records, short and over reports, loss and damage all reveal the same information regarding traffic.   There's is only so much worth saving but which is the more precious and which is redundant to the point of being useless?  BTW, I have a sneaking suspicion some of those blueprints still exist.

                    PKL

                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                    Neat to see the missing image finally come to light!

                    You didn't find the secret files on the JFK assassination, did you?

                    http://fjgrr. org
                    http://ginosrailpag e.com
                    http://ginostrolley page.com
                    http://ginosmusicse rvice.com

                    Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.
                  • slamora1@nycap.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 11, 2009
                      Paul

                      It would be great to see the data or averages of daily or even weekly freightcar inbound or outbound cars.To get an idea what companys received the most buissness or just a car here and there thats the one thing I've been most interested in finding out almost like an customer report. We all know that most movements were inbound loads but did GloveCity Coal get one car every two days or was it once a week? Things like that interst me.

                      Steve Lamora

                      Cant wait to get the book Paul!!!!!

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 12, 2009
                        I have theat information for a few months in 1954 I believe. The freight register is however in johnstown and I am not. I will try to get up there soon and fetch it .

                        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                        CC: pklarner@...
                        From: slamora1@...
                        Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:04:29 -0400

                        ---- Paul Larner <pklarner@hotmail. com> wrote:

> [...]
                        >
                        > I saved what little was left by the time I got down there to observe; mostly freight claims that were submitted to the railroad's insurance. They contain little historical value other than to show where some of the shipments were coming and going.
                        >
                        > Among the neat items which I have mentioned to most of you before and shown those of you who were interested were a series of commercials taken out by the railroad on WENT radio. The railroad had retained the broadcast copy sheets read by the announcers. They were smooth and breezy and in the format of 1950s era radio.
                        >
                        > Re: JFK. Try the Freedom of Information Act; or the FBI's website; which contains declassified files on many famous public figures.

                        Windows Live™ Contacts: Organize your contact list. Check it out.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 12, 2009
                          It would be neat to abstract the info.  It appears the station register has it all for the inbound business.

                          PKL

                          To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
                          From: riverlinejoe@...
                          Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:38:25 +0000

                          To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                          CC: pklarner@hotmail. com
                          From: slamora1@nycap. rr.com
                          Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:04:29 -0400

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 13, 2009
                            I should have said I have the JOHNSTOWN Freight Register for a few months in 1954.

                            To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
                            From: pklarner@...
                            Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 19:09:48 -0400

                            To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com