RE: [FJGRailroad] Hello!

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
      John,
      if you are around Johnstown this summer, maybe we can get together for a memorabilia meeting.
      regards

      Riverlinejoe

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: johnnychristman@...
      Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:12:22 +0000
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] Hello!

      Hello everyone!

      My name is John Christman and I am perhaps the youngest of the
      hard-core FJ&G fans. I'm 23, from Johnstown and I'll be graduating in
      May both an historian and a geographer from SUNY Plattsburgh. All of
      you were fortunate enough to have experienced the excellence that was
      the FJ&G. Unfortunately, I was born in late 85', so all I have is a
      strong feeling of nostalgia for something I was unlucky enough to have
      missed! Even though I never had the pleasure of seeing #20 roll
      through my neighborhood near the Perry St. and Matthew St.
      intersection in Johnstown, I feel like I know the railroad from the
      amount of research and memerobilia I have collected. I'm really
      looking forward to talking with all of you! I'm excited to hear your
      stories! Also, I hope that maybe we could have a meeting in August as
      has been done in the past! I have a small stack of FJ&G documentation
      and photographs. I'll make sure to scan them and get them up for all
      of you to see. Thanks so much for allowing me to become part of the
      group!!

      John Christman

    • johnnychristman
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
        Sure Joe I would like to get together. I'm actually staying in
        Plattsburgh, but I'll be home on a few weekends to see my family and
        friends, and I would definitely come to any FJ&G oriented activity.
        I've never had anyone to talk to about the railroad, my friends and
        family think I'm in my own little world! So thanks, I think that
        would be great!

        John

        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, joseph Klapkowski
        <riverlinejoe@...> wrote:

        > John,
        >
        > if you are around Johnstown this summer, maybe we can get together
        for a memorabilia meeting.

        > regards
        >

        > Riverlinejoe
        >

        > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        > From: johnnychristman@...
        > Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:12:22 +0000
        > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Hello!
        >

        > Hello everyone!
        >
        > My name is John Christman and I am perhaps the youngest of the
        > hard-core FJ&G fans. I'm 23, from Johnstown and I'll be graduating
        in
        > May both an historian and a geographer from SUNY Plattsburgh. All of
        > you were fortunate enough to have experienced the excellence that
        was
        > the FJ&G. Unfortunately, I was born in late 85', so all I have is a
        > strong feeling of nostalgia for something I was unlucky enough to
        have
        > missed! Even though I never had the pleasure of seeing #20 roll
        > through my neighborhood near the Perry St. and Matthew St.
        > intersection in Johnstown, I feel like I know the railroad from the
        > amount of research and memerobilia I have collected. I'm really
        > looking forward to talking with all of you! I'm excited to hear your
        > stories! Also, I hope that maybe we could have a meeting in August
        as
        > has been done in the past! I have a small stack of FJ&G
        documentation
        > and photographs. I'll make sure to scan them and get them up for all
        > of you to see. Thanks so much for allowing me to become part of the
        > group!!
        >
        > John Christman

        > Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with
        Windows Live.

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
          I look forward to it....but Plattsburgh!!!! UGHHH I went to Oswego (many years ago) and P'burg were our (Hockey) rivals. Do you get much opportunity to see the D&H? Are you on the D&H list?

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: johnnychristman@...
          Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 02:48:09 +0000
          Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Hello!

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
            Alright John!  Welcome aboard!

            Glad to have our youth represented.  Aaron went and grew up on us.  He used to be the young one,
            but now he's an ole coot like the rest of us...

            Gino

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
              Ole coot, huh?  Gee, thanks, I guess at age 29 I better start looking at nursing homes.

              -Aaron

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                I'm so sorry to hear that you went to Oswego, I won't judge you haha.
                I actually live right down the street from the D&H line so I hear and
                see the trains all of the time, I'm not on the list though. I should
                join it I love the D&H as well.

                <riverlinejoe@...> wrote:

                > I look forward to it....but Plattsburgh!!!! UGHHH I went to Oswego
                (many years ago) and P'burg were our (Hockey) rivals. Do you get much
                opportunity to see the D&H? Are you on the D&H list?

                > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                > From: johnnychristman@...
                > Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 02:48:09 +0000
                > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Hello!
                >

                > Sure Joe I would like to get together. I'm actually staying in
                > Plattsburgh, but I'll be home on a few weekends to see my family and
                > friends, and I would definitely come to any FJ&G oriented activity.
                > I've never had anyone to talk to about the railroad, my friends and
                > family think I'm in my own little world! So thanks, I think that
                > would be great!
                >
                > John
                >
                > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, joseph Klapkowski
                > <riverlinejoe@> wrote:
                > >

                > > John,
                > >
                > > if you are around Johnstown this summer, maybe we can get together
                > for a memorabilia meeting.
                > >
                > > regards
                > >

                > > Riverlinejoe
                > >

                > > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                > > From: johnnychristman@
                > > Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:12:22 +0000
                > > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Hello!
                > >

                > > Hello everyone!
                > >
                > > My name is John Christman and I am perhaps the youngest of the
                > > hard-core FJ&G fans. I'm 23, from Johnstown and I'll be graduating
                > in
                > > May both an historian and a geographer from SUNY Plattsburgh. All of
                > > you were fortunate enough to have experienced the excellence that
                > was
                > > the FJ&G. Unfortunately, I was born in late 85', so all I have is a
                > > strong feeling of nostalgia for something I was unlucky enough to
                > have
                > > missed! Even though I never had the pleasure of seeing #20 roll
                > > through my neighborhood near the Perry St. and Matthew St.
                > > intersection in Johnstown, I feel like I know the railroad from the
                > > amount of research and memerobilia I have collected. I'm really
                > > looking forward to talking with all of you! I'm excited to hear your
                > > stories! Also, I hope that maybe we could have a meeting in August
                > as
                > > has been done in the past! I have a small stack of FJ&G
                > documentation
                > > and photographs. I'll make sure to scan them and get them up for all
                > > of you to see. Thanks so much for allowing me to become part of the
                > > group!!
                > >
                > > John Christman

                > > Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with
                > Windows Live.
                > > http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093185mrt/direct/01/

                > Want to do more with Windows Live? Learn "10 hidden secrets" from Jamie.

              • Jason C
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                  John,

                  You're not the only young(er) one on this list.  I'm in my mid thirties now but I NEVER witnessed the FJ&G operate.  I grew up east of this line in Ballston Spa.  I suspect that there are some more fans of this line that never actually lived along it or visited it before it disappeared.  By the time I was really aware of the FJ&G, it was already too late.

                  Anyway, weclome to the group.  It's good to see new folks on the list.

                  Regards,
                  Jason Cook
                  New Haven, IN

                • johnnychristman
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                    Thanks Gino, but if 29 is old it sounds like I've got a lot to
                    accomplish in the next 6 years!

                    --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Alright John! Welcome aboard!
                    >
                    > Glad to have our youth represented. Aaron went and grew up on us. He
                    > used to be the young one,
                    > but now he's an ole coot like the rest of us...
                    >
                    > Gino
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • johnnychristman
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                      Jason,

                      I feel your pain! How did you become interested in the FJ&G having
                      grown up so far from it?

                      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Jason C <dhc628@...> wrote:

                      > John,
                      >
                      > You're not the only young(er) one on this list.  I'm in my mid
                      thirties now but I NEVER witnessed the FJ&G operate.  I grew up east
                      of this line in Ballston Spa.  I suspect that there are some more fans
                      of this line that never actually lived along it or visited it before
                      it disappeared.  By the time I was really aware of the FJ&G, it was
                      already too late.

                      > Anyway, weclome to the group.  It's good to see new folks on the list.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Jason Cook
                      > New Haven, IN

                    • Jason C
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                        John,

                        I *think* it was from seeing it in my old Rand McNally railroad atlas.  I was interested in the Ballston Terminal and had started buying USGS Topos from Jimapco down on Rt 9 in Clifton Park to study the rail lines in the counties around Ballston.  I discovered that the FJ&G and the Ballston Terminal both dead ended within 20 miles of each other.  I made the leap that it would make sense to connect them together.  It wasn't until years later that I learned that the BT actually considered this.  I'd like to throw in a plug for some books dealing with the Ballston Terminal:

                        I was also aware of there being tracks along a stretch of Rt 29 at Vails Mills.  I used to get my family to take me out to KC Canary occasionally to buy toy tractors and spotted the tracks on those trips.  This brings up a question for the group.  Does anyone have evidence or memories of any sort of farm equipment or construction equipment being delivered by the FJ&G?  Did Canary ever receive new equipment from Deere at a team track in Broadalbin?  Were there any other farm equipment dealers located Johnstown or Gloversville?

                        Jason Cook

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                          Good morning Jason,

                          KC Canary was a good customer of the railroad.  They unloaded equipment in Gloversville and I believe also at Vail Mills.  Off the top of my head I believe they took material in Broadalbin too before they built their new building on rt. 29 but I am not in a position to say with certainty right now.  Gordy Cornell may catch this thread; and he does know.

                          The relationship between the BT, Mountain Lake, AJ&G played a part in the development of the FJ&G and AmStRy in the decade 1894 through 1903.  BT's goal as a passenger carrier was not to connect but to compete with alternate routes through Gloversville and Johnstown.  In the background were the syndicates which controlled competing interests in electric railway expansion.  When that frenzy subsided the next gap for consideration was that in the chain of electric roads across New York state to Chicago and beyond  For that solution the FJ&G board seriously, but too late, explored building the Little Falls and Johnstown.  Closure of this latter gap had interest to the NYC which saw the proliferation of electric lines between the smaller towns and villages as an opportunity to eliminate local passenger trains.  As we are aware today the gaps were closed with macadam rather than steel.  Re: the connections across the counties from Saratoga (broadly) and Little Falls or Utica (specifiacally) underlying the fact BT intended to handle freight existed the desire to open a competitive route for coal from the Pennsylvannia hard coal fields controlled by the NYC into the region.  Connecting the Fitchburg with the O&W or DL&W at Utica was a greater vision of an earlier decade bypassing both D&H and B&M.  This became more important to the FRR following the NYC take over of the NYWS&B.

                          As a side thought:  What a difference today, when no one seems to want to build anything without a hand out. These projects were for the most part funded with the personal fortunes of their investors.  The BT expansion failed because of lack of confidence, then financial support. And I doubt anyone will ever know what actually transpired in the clubs and board rooms in New York city, Cleveland and Chicago.

                          PKL

                          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                          I feel your pain! How did you become interested in the FJ&G having
                          grown up so far from it?

                          --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, Jason C <dhc628@...> wrote:

                          > John,
                          >
                          > You're not the only young(er) one on this list.  I'm in my mid
                          thirties now but I NEVER witnessed the FJ&G operate.  I grew up east
                          of this line in Ballston Spa.  I suspect that there are some more fans
                          of this line that never actually lived along it or visited it before
                          it disappeared.  By the time I was really aware of the FJ&G, it was
                          already too late.

                          > Anyway, weclome to the group.  It's good to see new folks on the list.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > Jason Cook
                          > New Haven, IN

                          Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect. See how it works.
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                            I can foward the request if you like.....

                            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                            From: johnnychristman@...
                            Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 14:34:37 +0000

                            http://windowslive. com/connect/ post/jamiethomso n.spaces. live.com- Blog-cns!550F681DAD532637! 5295.entry? ocid=TXT_ TAGLM_WL_ domore_092008

                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                              Aaron,

                              It seems so long ago that you were a high school student sending me corrections on my webpage!

                              Gino

                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                I'm only joking about us being old, at 42 I've been told many times that I'm the youngster of the group!
                                Aaron just looks old!

                                Only kidding Aaron!

                                Gino

                                ____________ _________ _________ __

                                href="mailto:FJGRailroad%40yahoogroups.com">FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com]

                              • slamora1@nycap.rr.com
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                  I'M glad Aaron Gino & I arent the only relatively young ones anymore.Paul I also miss the walks .And I miss the Ice cream Cant do that anymore but a walk would be good.I would also love to see everybody this summer I only see Gino and Glen W at Springfeild Trainshow It was good to see Glen at the show.Hey Gino no Kingston Show It was canceled same problem no place to have it ..

                                  Steve Lamora

                                • Stephen G Myers
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009

                                    But Steve,

                                         Weren't you the kid coming into my post office every day to get your mail just a few years ago and i would tell you about my train adventures?

                                          Steve Myers

                                    On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 19:14:48 -0500 <slamora1@...> writes:

                                    Meet your communications needs. Get serious about tech.

                                  • slamora1@nycap.rr.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 21, 2009
                                      Yep
                                      Now I tell me three kids about my Train adventures..
                                      -