Re: Glove City Coal Company

  • jkr251
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 19, 2009
      Once again, I just want to thank everyone for their informative and
      timely responses.

      Like I always tell my son - Keep asking; keep learning.

      JR

      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, <slamora1@...> wrote:

      > If Iremember correctly the structure was poured in 6 To 8 foot
      sections The first two or three were painted black i still have to
      look for the drawings I Think I might know were they are...

      > Steve lamora
      > ---- Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > Here's four shots of the model I drew for the MSTS route. I can only
      > > estimate the size of the structure based on reasonable sizing of
      other
      > > structures in the Google Earth satellite shot. Each silo appears
      to be
      > > 20' diameter and 60' tall. As seen on the line drawing the silos
      > > overlap six inches in each direction... the center of the silos
      are at
      > > 19' 6" from a common center point and not 20'.

      > > "Glove City Coal" signs were painted on the two silos facing
      Kingsboro

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 16, 2010
        Hi Paul,

        Maybe what I should have said was it was a franchise of the Reading Coal
        Company:

        http://www.readinganthracite.com/

        Not any different then any national gas stations out there, they were
        owned locally but paid a fee to use the nationally known name and product.

        Paul :-)

        Glove City Coal Company was a locally owned company. Somewhere I have
        seen the name of the family that started the business, whom IIRC, had
        their home on Broad street in Gloversville. By 1940 Joel W. Ager had
        become the proprietor. The subsequent owner was also a Gloversville
        resident.

        A study into the history of the Gloversville coal businesses, and the
        families behind them, would be interesting reading to the student of
        Gloversville's history.