Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Glove City Coal Company

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
      Hi,

      Here's four shots of the model I drew for the MSTS route. I can only
      estimate the size of the structure based on reasonable sizing of other
      structures in the Google Earth satellite shot. Each silo appears to be
      20' diameter and 60' tall. As seen on the line drawing the silos
      overlap six inches in each direction... the center of the silos are at
      19' 6" from a common center point and not 20'.

      "Glove City Coal" signs were painted on the two silos facing Kingsboro
      Avenue, the signs them selves were painted on a white rectangle, below
      that was silver, and below that was a black band around the bottom of
      all silos (silver and white were only the width of the Reading sign).
      The rest of the silos were concrete.

      Hope this helps, it's the best I could do without having drawings to
      work from.

      Paul :-)

    • slamora1@nycap.rr.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
        If Iremember correctly the structure was poured in 6 To 8 foot sections The first two or three were painted black i still have to look for the drawings I Think I might know were they are...

        Steve lamora
        ---- Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Here's four shots of the model I drew for the MSTS route. I can only
        > estimate the size of the structure based on reasonable sizing of other
        > structures in the Google Earth satellite shot. Each silo appears to be
        > 20' diameter and 60' tall. As seen on the line drawing the silos
        > overlap six inches in each direction... the center of the silos are at
        > 19' 6" from a common center point and not 20'.

        > "Glove City Coal" signs were painted on the two silos facing Kingsboro
        > Avenue, the signs them selves were painted on a white rectangle, below
        > that was silver, and below that was a black band around the bottom of
        > all silos (silver and white were only the width of the Reading sign).
        > The rest of the silos were concrete.
        >
        > Hope this helps, it's the best I could do without having drawings to
        > work from.
        >
        > Paul :-)
        >
        > jkr251 wrote:
        > > Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies.
        > >
        > > The more I thought about this structure I began to realize I've only
        > > ever seen B&W photos of it. Which leads to my next question.
        > >
        > > The lower portion of the silos (approx. 15 to 20 feet??? - I'm just
        > > guessing here) appear to be painted. Unfortunately I have no idea what
        > > color paint was used. Any insights?
        > >
        > > Thanks.
        > >
        > > JR

      • jkr251
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 19, 2009
          Once again, I just want to thank everyone for their informative and
          timely responses.

          Like I always tell my son - Keep asking; keep learning.

          JR

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 16, 2010
            Hi Paul,

            Maybe what I should have said was it was a franchise of the Reading Coal
            Company:

            http://www.readinganthracite.com/

            Not any different then any national gas stations out there, they were
            owned locally but paid a fee to use the nationally known name and product.

            Paul :-)

            Glove City Coal Company was a locally owned company. Somewhere I have
            seen the name of the family that started the business, whom IIRC, had
            their home on Broad street in Gloversville. By 1940 Joel W. Ager had
            become the proprietor. The subsequent owner was also a Gloversville
            resident.

            A study into the history of the Gloversville coal businesses, and the
            families behind them, would be interesting reading to the student of
            Gloversville's history.