Glove City Coal Company

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
      The name was in black letters: Glove City Coal Company; the logo appears to be the standard Reading coal logo ofwhite letters in a black circle trimmed with a thin red band inside and out with the background for the word READING red.  The background for entire the sign was white.  The rest of the silos behind and below the "sign was painted silver.  The wooden parts were painted grey and the lift apprears to be black.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: jkr251@...
      Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 16:32:09 +0000
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Glove City Coal Company

      Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies.

      The more I thought about this structure I began to realize I've only
      ever seen B&W photos of it. Which leads to my next question.

      The lower portion of the silos (approx. 15 to 20 feet??? - I'm just
      guessing here) appear to be painted. Unfortunately I have no idea what
      color paint was used. Any insights?

      Thanks.

      JR

      <http://www.lostland marks.org/ coalhouse1. html>,

      > > "Model Railroader published the blueprints of the FJ&G coalhouse
      in its March,1979 issue."

      > > Glenn
      > > Penacook, NH

      Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail. See how it works.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
        Hi,

        Here's four shots of the model I drew for the MSTS route. I can only
        estimate the size of the structure based on reasonable sizing of other
        structures in the Google Earth satellite shot. Each silo appears to be
        20' diameter and 60' tall. As seen on the line drawing the silos
        overlap six inches in each direction... the center of the silos are at
        19' 6" from a common center point and not 20'.

        "Glove City Coal" signs were painted on the two silos facing Kingsboro
        Avenue, the signs them selves were painted on a white rectangle, below
        that was silver, and below that was a black band around the bottom of
        all silos (silver and white were only the width of the Reading sign).
        The rest of the silos were concrete.

        Hope this helps, it's the best I could do without having drawings to
        work from.

        Paul :-)

      • slamora1@nycap.rr.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
          If Iremember correctly the structure was poured in 6 To 8 foot sections The first two or three were painted black i still have to look for the drawings I Think I might know were they are...

          Steve lamora
          ---- Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > Here's four shots of the model I drew for the MSTS route. I can only
          > estimate the size of the structure based on reasonable sizing of other
          > structures in the Google Earth satellite shot. Each silo appears to be
          > 20' diameter and 60' tall. As seen on the line drawing the silos
          > overlap six inches in each direction... the center of the silos are at
          > 19' 6" from a common center point and not 20'.

          > "Glove City Coal" signs were painted on the two silos facing Kingsboro
          > Avenue, the signs them selves were painted on a white rectangle, below
          > that was silver, and below that was a black band around the bottom of
          > all silos (silver and white were only the width of the Reading sign).
          > The rest of the silos were concrete.
          >
          > Hope this helps, it's the best I could do without having drawings to
          > work from.
          >
          > Paul :-)
          >
          > jkr251 wrote:
          > > Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies.
          > >
          > > The more I thought about this structure I began to realize I've only
          > > ever seen B&W photos of it. Which leads to my next question.
          > >
          > > The lower portion of the silos (approx. 15 to 20 feet??? - I'm just
          > > guessing here) appear to be painted. Unfortunately I have no idea what
          > > color paint was used. Any insights?
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > >
          > > JR

        • jkr251
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 19, 2009
            Once again, I just want to thank everyone for their informative and
            timely responses.

            Like I always tell my son - Keep asking; keep learning.

            JR

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 16, 2010
              Hi Paul,

              Maybe what I should have said was it was a franchise of the Reading Coal
              Company:

              http://www.readinganthracite.com/

              Not any different then any national gas stations out there, they were
              owned locally but paid a fee to use the nationally known name and product.

              Paul :-)

              Glove City Coal Company was a locally owned company. Somewhere I have
              seen the name of the family that started the business, whom IIRC, had
              their home on Broad street in Gloversville. By 1940 Joel W. Ager had
              become the proprietor. The subsequent owner was also a Gloversville
              resident.

              A study into the history of the Gloversville coal businesses, and the
              families behind them, would be interesting reading to the student of
              Gloversville's history.