Re: Glove City Coal Company

  • jkr251
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
      Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies.

      The more I thought about this structure I began to realize I've only
      ever seen B&W photos of it. Which leads to my next question.

      The lower portion of the silos (approx. 15 to 20 feet??? - I'm just
      guessing here) appear to be painted. Unfortunately I have no idea what
      color paint was used. Any insights?

      Thanks.

      JR

      <http://www.lostlandmarks.org/coalhouse1.html>,

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
        The name was in black letters: Glove City Coal Company; the logo appears to be the standard Reading coal logo ofwhite letters in a black circle trimmed with a thin red band inside and out with the background for the word READING red.  The background for entire the sign was white.  The rest of the silos behind and below the "sign was painted silver.  The wooden parts were painted grey and the lift apprears to be black.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: jkr251@...
        Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 16:32:09 +0000
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Glove City Coal Company

        Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies.

        The more I thought about this structure I began to realize I've only
        ever seen B&W photos of it. Which leads to my next question.

        The lower portion of the silos (approx. 15 to 20 feet??? - I'm just
        guessing here) appear to be painted. Unfortunately I have no idea what
        color paint was used. Any insights?

        Thanks.

        JR

        --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@. ..> wrote:

        > Hi Glenn and All,
        >
        > The article in the 1979 MR is the two track coal house across from the
        > freight house in Gloversville and not the standard Reading coal
        tower at
        > Kingsboro Avenue.
        >
        > When I drew it for the MSTS route there were no drawings of the
        > structure on the internet, thought that was strange as it was a common
        > structure used by Reading coal dealers across the northeast... I
        > guesstimated the one for the MSTS route based on measurements from the
        > Google Earth shots compared to surrounding structures.
        >
        > Paul :-)
        >
        > Glenn J. Williams wrote:
        > > --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, "jkr251" <jkr251@> wrote:
        > >> Does anyone know if scale plans of the Glove City Coal Company were
        > >> ever published? That's certainly one structure that's just begging to
        > >> be modeled. Thanks.
        > >>
        > >> JR
        > >>

        > > According to the Lost Landmarks site:
        <http://www.lostland marks.org/ coalhouse1. html>,

        > > "Model Railroader published the blueprints of the FJ&G coalhouse
        in its March,1979 issue."

        > > Glenn
        > > Penacook, NH

        Windows Liveā„¢ HotmailĀ®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail. See how it works.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
          Hi,

          Here's four shots of the model I drew for the MSTS route. I can only
          estimate the size of the structure based on reasonable sizing of other
          structures in the Google Earth satellite shot. Each silo appears to be
          20' diameter and 60' tall. As seen on the line drawing the silos
          overlap six inches in each direction... the center of the silos are at
          19' 6" from a common center point and not 20'.

          "Glove City Coal" signs were painted on the two silos facing Kingsboro
          Avenue, the signs them selves were painted on a white rectangle, below
          that was silver, and below that was a black band around the bottom of
          all silos (silver and white were only the width of the Reading sign).
          The rest of the silos were concrete.

          Hope this helps, it's the best I could do without having drawings to
          work from.

          Paul :-)

        • slamora1@nycap.rr.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
            If Iremember correctly the structure was poured in 6 To 8 foot sections The first two or three were painted black i still have to look for the drawings I Think I might know were they are...

            Steve lamora
            ---- Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > Here's four shots of the model I drew for the MSTS route. I can only
            > estimate the size of the structure based on reasonable sizing of other
            > structures in the Google Earth satellite shot. Each silo appears to be
            > 20' diameter and 60' tall. As seen on the line drawing the silos
            > overlap six inches in each direction... the center of the silos are at
            > 19' 6" from a common center point and not 20'.

            > "Glove City Coal" signs were painted on the two silos facing Kingsboro
            > Avenue, the signs them selves were painted on a white rectangle, below
            > that was silver, and below that was a black band around the bottom of
            > all silos (silver and white were only the width of the Reading sign).
            > The rest of the silos were concrete.
            >
            > Hope this helps, it's the best I could do without having drawings to
            > work from.
            >
            > Paul :-)
            >
            > jkr251 wrote:
            > > Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies.
            > >
            > > The more I thought about this structure I began to realize I've only
            > > ever seen B&W photos of it. Which leads to my next question.
            > >
            > > The lower portion of the silos (approx. 15 to 20 feet??? - I'm just
            > > guessing here) appear to be painted. Unfortunately I have no idea what
            > > color paint was used. Any insights?
            > >
            > > Thanks.
            > >
            > > JR

          • jkr251
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 19, 2009
              Once again, I just want to thank everyone for their informative and
              timely responses.

              Like I always tell my son - Keep asking; keep learning.

              JR

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 16, 2010
                Hi Paul,

                Maybe what I should have said was it was a franchise of the Reading Coal
                Company:

                http://www.readinganthracite.com/

                Not any different then any national gas stations out there, they were
                owned locally but paid a fee to use the nationally known name and product.

                Paul :-)

                Glove City Coal Company was a locally owned company. Somewhere I have
                seen the name of the family that started the business, whom IIRC, had
                their home on Broad street in Gloversville. By 1940 Joel W. Ager had
                become the proprietor. The subsequent owner was also a Gloversville
                resident.

                A study into the history of the Gloversville coal businesses, and the
                families behind them, would be interesting reading to the student of
                Gloversville's history.