Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Glove City Coal Company

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 15, 2009
      Hi Glenn and All,

      The article in the 1979 MR is the two track coal house across from the
      freight house in Gloversville and not the standard Reading coal tower at
      Kingsboro Avenue.

      When I drew it for the MSTS route there were no drawings of the
      structure on the internet, thought that was strange as it was a common
      structure used by Reading coal dealers across the northeast... I
      guesstimated the one for the MSTS route based on measurements from the
      Google Earth shots compared to surrounding structures.

      Paul :-)

      Glenn J. Williams wrote:
      > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "jkr251" <jkr251@...> wrote:
      >> Does anyone know if scale plans of the Glove City Coal Company were
      >> ever published? That's certainly one structure that's just begging to
      >> be modeled. Thanks.
      >>
      >> JR
      >>

      > According to the Lost Landmarks site: <http://www.lostlandmarks.org/coalhouse1.html>,
      >
      > "Model Railroader published the blueprints of the FJ&G coalhouse in its March,1979 issue."
      >
      > Glenn
      > Penacook, NH
    • jkr251
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
        Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies.

        The more I thought about this structure I began to realize I've only
        ever seen B&W photos of it. Which leads to my next question.

        The lower portion of the silos (approx. 15 to 20 feet??? - I'm just
        guessing here) appear to be painted. Unfortunately I have no idea what
        color paint was used. Any insights?

        Thanks.

        JR

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
          The name was in black letters: Glove City Coal Company; the logo appears to be the standard Reading coal logo ofwhite letters in a black circle trimmed with a thin red band inside and out with the background for the word READING red.  The background for entire the sign was white.  The rest of the silos behind and below the "sign was painted silver.  The wooden parts were painted grey and the lift apprears to be black.

          PKL

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: jkr251@...
          Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 16:32:09 +0000
          Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Glove City Coal Company

          Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies.

          The more I thought about this structure I began to realize I've only
          ever seen B&W photos of it. Which leads to my next question.

          The lower portion of the silos (approx. 15 to 20 feet??? - I'm just
          guessing here) appear to be painted. Unfortunately I have no idea what
          color paint was used. Any insights?

          Thanks.

          JR

          --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@. ..> wrote:

          > Hi Glenn and All,
          >
          > The article in the 1979 MR is the two track coal house across from the
          > freight house in Gloversville and not the standard Reading coal
          tower at
          > Kingsboro Avenue.
          >
          > When I drew it for the MSTS route there were no drawings of the
          > structure on the internet, thought that was strange as it was a common
          > structure used by Reading coal dealers across the northeast... I
          > guesstimated the one for the MSTS route based on measurements from the
          > Google Earth shots compared to surrounding structures.
          >
          > Paul :-)
          >
          > Glenn J. Williams wrote:
          > > --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, "jkr251" <jkr251@> wrote:
          > >> Does anyone know if scale plans of the Glove City Coal Company were
          > >> ever published? That's certainly one structure that's just begging to
          > >> be modeled. Thanks.
          > >>
          > >> JR
          > >>

          > > According to the Lost Landmarks site:
          <http://www.lostland marks.org/ coalhouse1. html>,

          > > "Model Railroader published the blueprints of the FJ&G coalhouse
          in its March,1979 issue."

          > > Glenn
          > > Penacook, NH

          Windows Liveā„¢ HotmailĀ®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail. See how it works.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
            Hi,

            Here's four shots of the model I drew for the MSTS route. I can only
            estimate the size of the structure based on reasonable sizing of other
            structures in the Google Earth satellite shot. Each silo appears to be
            20' diameter and 60' tall. As seen on the line drawing the silos
            overlap six inches in each direction... the center of the silos are at
            19' 6" from a common center point and not 20'.

            "Glove City Coal" signs were painted on the two silos facing Kingsboro
            Avenue, the signs them selves were painted on a white rectangle, below
            that was silver, and below that was a black band around the bottom of
            all silos (silver and white were only the width of the Reading sign).
            The rest of the silos were concrete.

            Hope this helps, it's the best I could do without having drawings to
            work from.

            Paul :-)

          • slamora1@nycap.rr.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
              If Iremember correctly the structure was poured in 6 To 8 foot sections The first two or three were painted black i still have to look for the drawings I Think I might know were they are...

              Steve lamora
              ---- Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > Here's four shots of the model I drew for the MSTS route. I can only
              > estimate the size of the structure based on reasonable sizing of other
              > structures in the Google Earth satellite shot. Each silo appears to be
              > 20' diameter and 60' tall. As seen on the line drawing the silos
              > overlap six inches in each direction... the center of the silos are at
              > 19' 6" from a common center point and not 20'.

              > "Glove City Coal" signs were painted on the two silos facing Kingsboro
              > Avenue, the signs them selves were painted on a white rectangle, below
              > that was silver, and below that was a black band around the bottom of
              > all silos (silver and white were only the width of the Reading sign).
              > The rest of the silos were concrete.
              >
              > Hope this helps, it's the best I could do without having drawings to
              > work from.
              >
              > Paul :-)
              >
              > jkr251 wrote:
              > > Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies.
              > >
              > > The more I thought about this structure I began to realize I've only
              > > ever seen B&W photos of it. Which leads to my next question.
              > >
              > > The lower portion of the silos (approx. 15 to 20 feet??? - I'm just
              > > guessing here) appear to be painted. Unfortunately I have no idea what
              > > color paint was used. Any insights?
              > >
              > > Thanks.
              > >
              > > JR

            • jkr251
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 19, 2009
                Once again, I just want to thank everyone for their informative and
                timely responses.

                Like I always tell my son - Keep asking; keep learning.

                JR

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 16, 2010
                  Hi Paul,

                  Maybe what I should have said was it was a franchise of the Reading Coal
                  Company:

                  http://www.readinganthracite.com/

                  Not any different then any national gas stations out there, they were
                  owned locally but paid a fee to use the nationally known name and product.

                  Paul :-)

                  Glove City Coal Company was a locally owned company. Somewhere I have
                  seen the name of the family that started the business, whom IIRC, had
                  their home on Broad street in Gloversville. By 1940 Joel W. Ager had
                  become the proprietor. The subsequent owner was also a Gloversville
                  resident.

                  A study into the history of the Gloversville coal businesses, and the
                  families behind them, would be interesting reading to the student of
                  Gloversville's history.