Glove City Coal Company

  • jkr251
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 10, 2009
      Does anyone know if scale plans of the Glove City Coal Company were
      ever published? That's certainly one structure that's just begging to
      be modeled. Thanks.

      JR
    • slamora1@nycap.rr.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 11, 2009
        None that I know of Walt dynalack and I took measurements of it about five years ago i'll see if I can find them.The structure it self would be fairly easy to model Pvc tubes would be the best starting point the wrap in .010 styrene the support buildings we also measured are real easy to scatch build.I 'll look for the measurements.

        Steve Lamora
        --

        -- jkr251 <jkr251@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone know if scale plans of the Glove City Coal Company were
        > ever published? That's certainly one structure that's just begging to
        > be modeled. Thanks.
        >
        > JR

      • Glenn J. Williams
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 15, 2009
          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "jkr251" <jkr251@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know if scale plans of the Glove City Coal Company were
          > ever published? That's certainly one structure that's just begging to
          > be modeled. Thanks.
          >
          > JR

          According to the Lost Landmarks site: <http://www.lostlandmarks.org/coalhouse1.html>,

          "Model Railroader published the blueprints of the FJ&G coalhouse in its March,1979 issue."

          Glenn
          Penacook, NH
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 15, 2009
            Hi Glenn and All,

            The article in the 1979 MR is the two track coal house across from the
            freight house in Gloversville and not the standard Reading coal tower at
            Kingsboro Avenue.

            When I drew it for the MSTS route there were no drawings of the
            structure on the internet, thought that was strange as it was a common
            structure used by Reading coal dealers across the northeast... I
            guesstimated the one for the MSTS route based on measurements from the
            Google Earth shots compared to surrounding structures.

            Paul :-)

            Glenn J. Williams wrote:
            > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "jkr251" <jkr251@...> wrote:
            >> Does anyone know if scale plans of the Glove City Coal Company were
            >> ever published? That's certainly one structure that's just begging to
            >> be modeled. Thanks.
            >>
            >> JR
            >>

            > According to the Lost Landmarks site: <http://www.lostlandmarks.org/coalhouse1.html>,
            >
            > "Model Railroader published the blueprints of the FJ&G coalhouse in its March,1979 issue."
            >
            > Glenn
            > Penacook, NH
          • jkr251
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
              Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies.

              The more I thought about this structure I began to realize I've only
              ever seen B&W photos of it. Which leads to my next question.

              The lower portion of the silos (approx. 15 to 20 feet??? - I'm just
              guessing here) appear to be painted. Unfortunately I have no idea what
              color paint was used. Any insights?

              Thanks.

              JR

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
                The name was in black letters: Glove City Coal Company; the logo appears to be the standard Reading coal logo ofwhite letters in a black circle trimmed with a thin red band inside and out with the background for the word READING red.  The background for entire the sign was white.  The rest of the silos behind and below the "sign was painted silver.  The wooden parts were painted grey and the lift apprears to be black.

                PKL

                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                From: jkr251@...
                Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 16:32:09 +0000
                Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Glove City Coal Company

                Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies.

                The more I thought about this structure I began to realize I've only
                ever seen B&W photos of it. Which leads to my next question.

                The lower portion of the silos (approx. 15 to 20 feet??? - I'm just
                guessing here) appear to be painted. Unfortunately I have no idea what
                color paint was used. Any insights?

                Thanks.

                JR

                --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@. ..> wrote:

                > Hi Glenn and All,
                >
                > The article in the 1979 MR is the two track coal house across from the
                > freight house in Gloversville and not the standard Reading coal
                tower at
                > Kingsboro Avenue.
                >
                > When I drew it for the MSTS route there were no drawings of the
                > structure on the internet, thought that was strange as it was a common
                > structure used by Reading coal dealers across the northeast... I
                > guesstimated the one for the MSTS route based on measurements from the
                > Google Earth shots compared to surrounding structures.
                >
                > Paul :-)
                >
                > Glenn J. Williams wrote:
                > > --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, "jkr251" <jkr251@> wrote:
                > >> Does anyone know if scale plans of the Glove City Coal Company were
                > >> ever published? That's certainly one structure that's just begging to
                > >> be modeled. Thanks.
                > >>
                > >> JR
                > >>

                > > According to the Lost Landmarks site:
                <http://www.lostland marks.org/ coalhouse1. html>,

                > > "Model Railroader published the blueprints of the FJ&G coalhouse
                in its March,1979 issue."

                > > Glenn
                > > Penacook, NH

                Windows Liveā„¢ HotmailĀ®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail. See how it works.
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
                  Hi,

                  Here's four shots of the model I drew for the MSTS route. I can only
                  estimate the size of the structure based on reasonable sizing of other
                  structures in the Google Earth satellite shot. Each silo appears to be
                  20' diameter and 60' tall. As seen on the line drawing the silos
                  overlap six inches in each direction... the center of the silos are at
                  19' 6" from a common center point and not 20'.

                  "Glove City Coal" signs were painted on the two silos facing Kingsboro
                  Avenue, the signs them selves were painted on a white rectangle, below
                  that was silver, and below that was a black band around the bottom of
                  all silos (silver and white were only the width of the Reading sign).
                  The rest of the silos were concrete.

                  Hope this helps, it's the best I could do without having drawings to
                  work from.

                  Paul :-)

                • slamora1@nycap.rr.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
                    If Iremember correctly the structure was poured in 6 To 8 foot sections The first two or three were painted black i still have to look for the drawings I Think I might know were they are...

                    Steve lamora
                    ---- Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > Here's four shots of the model I drew for the MSTS route. I can only
                    > estimate the size of the structure based on reasonable sizing of other
                    > structures in the Google Earth satellite shot. Each silo appears to be
                    > 20' diameter and 60' tall. As seen on the line drawing the silos
                    > overlap six inches in each direction... the center of the silos are at
                    > 19' 6" from a common center point and not 20'.

                    > "Glove City Coal" signs were painted on the two silos facing Kingsboro
                    > Avenue, the signs them selves were painted on a white rectangle, below
                    > that was silver, and below that was a black band around the bottom of
                    > all silos (silver and white were only the width of the Reading sign).
                    > The rest of the silos were concrete.
                    >
                    > Hope this helps, it's the best I could do without having drawings to
                    > work from.
                    >
                    > Paul :-)
                    >
                    > jkr251 wrote:
                    > > Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies.
                    > >
                    > > The more I thought about this structure I began to realize I've only
                    > > ever seen B&W photos of it. Which leads to my next question.
                    > >
                    > > The lower portion of the silos (approx. 15 to 20 feet??? - I'm just
                    > > guessing here) appear to be painted. Unfortunately I have no idea what
                    > > color paint was used. Any insights?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks.
                    > >
                    > > JR

                  • jkr251
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 19, 2009
                      Once again, I just want to thank everyone for their informative and
                      timely responses.

                      Like I always tell my son - Keep asking; keep learning.

                      JR

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 16, 2010
                        Hi Paul,

                        Maybe what I should have said was it was a franchise of the Reading Coal
                        Company:

                        http://www.readinganthracite.com/

                        Not any different then any national gas stations out there, they were
                        owned locally but paid a fee to use the nationally known name and product.

                        Paul :-)

                        Glove City Coal Company was a locally owned company. Somewhere I have
                        seen the name of the family that started the business, whom IIRC, had
                        their home on Broad street in Gloversville. By 1940 Joel W. Ager had
                        become the proprietor. The subsequent owner was also a Gloversville
                        resident.

                        A study into the history of the Gloversville coal businesses, and the
                        families behind them, would be interesting reading to the student of
                        Gloversville's history.