Brill Bullet in Racepace

  • andrewsfusco
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 30, 2008
      Dear Fellow FJ&Gers:

      Yesterday's mail brought a
      pleasant surprise. On page 44
      of the new (January 2009) issue
      of Railpace magazine is a photo
      of one of the former FJ&G Brill
      Bullets. It was shot October 7, 2008
      in Ogden, Utah. The caption does
      not say which number it was, nor
      could I tell from the picture

      The photo shows it roofless,
      windowless, and truckless sitting
      on a flatcar. ----Andy Fusco
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 30, 2008
        Andy,

        It's probably the 126.  As of recent, a private owner was storing her at a museum in Utah.
        The 128 is also in Utah, but it is a restaurant.  Of course, the 127 is preserved at the
        Orange Empire Museum in Perris, California....

        I wonder what's up with her and why Railpage has a West Coast story!

        Gino

        --
        http://ginosrailpage.com
        http://fjgrr.org
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 30, 2008
          Dear Gino:

          Thanks for the insight on what's likely
          #126. Now I've got the itch to model
          it. Imperial Hobbies in Pennsylvania
          has come out with a Brill Bullet body in O
          scale resin that I should be able to cut
          to my needs. ---Andy

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 30, 2008
            I saw that, it's sweet!  You could easily make that an FJG Bullet.  If it comes out as
            nice as your trolleys and busses, it will come out sweet.  Where did you get your
            trolleys from!  I love them...

            Gino

            #126. Now I've got the itch to model

              #126. Now I've got the itch to model

              --
            • slamora1@nycap.rr.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 31, 2008
                I wish they would do something in HO, more trolly stuff.Red Ball did a brill motorcar like 200 but they went out of buissness just went to go buy one there is a brass version but not as easy to make changes as plastic ..Some day I guess..

                Steve Lamora

              • A. Fusco
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 1, 2009
                  Dear Steve:

                  I don't know if you've checked out

                  www.eastpenn.org/manuf.html

                  or not, but when I went there I was
                  pretty impressed by just how much
                  eastern traction stuff they had
                  listed in HO. ---Andy Fusco
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                    Oh yeah, there is some neat stuff out there!  Thanks Andy...

                    Gino

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                      Thanks Andy

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 23 6:18 PM
                        Here's a topic-change.  I've been trying to contact the photographer who took this photo.  I want
                        to know what's up with the Bullet on the move.  Perhaps she's going to a place that will paint
                        her up for the FJ&G.

                        One thing I did clear up, the 126 is the restaurant in Utah, so this makes it Bullet 128 on the flat-bed.
                        For note, Bullets 125 and 129 were stripped of parts for the 127 in California.

                        Gino

                        has come out with a Brill Bullet body in O
                        scale resin that I should be able to cut
                        to my needs. ---Andy

                        --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, "Gino's Railpage" <fjgrailroad@ ...> wrote:

                        Andy,

                        > It's probably the 126. As of recent, a private owner was
                        storing her at a
                        > museum in Utah.
                        > The 128 is also in Utah, but it
                        is a restaurant. Of course, the 127 is
                        > preserved at the
                        > Orange
                        Empire Museum in Perris, California.. ..

                        > I wonder what's up
                        with her and why Railpage has a West Coast story!

                        > Gino
                        >
                        > On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 8:57 AM, andrewsfusco <fusco@...>
                        wrote:

                        > > Dear Fellow FJ&Gers:

                        Yesterday's mail brought a
                        > > pleasant surprise. On page 44
                        > > of the new (January 2009) issue
                        > > of Railpace magazine is a
                        photo
                        > > of one of the former FJ&G Brill
                        > > Bullets. It
                        was shot October 7, 2008
                        > > in Ogden, Utah. The caption does
                        > > not say which number it was, nor
                        > > could I tell from the
                        picture

                        > > The photo shows it roofless,

                        windowless, and truckless sitting
                        > > on a flatcar. ----Andy
                        Fusco

                        --

                        href="http://ginosrailpage.com">http://ginosrailpag e.com

                        href="http://fjgrr.org">http://fjgrr. org

                        href="http://ginosmusicservice.com">http://ginosmusicse rvice.com

                        Coming soon: ginostrolleypage. com

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 23 7:26 PM
                          Are these the cars?

                          No. 128:
                          http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=218621&nseq=29

                          No. 126:
                          http://www.dhke.com/railroad/utah/art.htm
                          Art City Trolley Restaurant
                          256 N. Main St.
                          Springville, Utah

                          No. 127:
                          http://www.oerm.org/pages/brr127.html

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 23 9:28 PM
                            Aaron,

                            Thanks for the link of the car on the flat car.  According to John Smatlek of the OEM, it's
                            126 on the flat car and the 128 is the Diner.

                            Gino

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 24 7:48 AM
                              --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Keller <akeller_1979@...> wrote:

                              > Are these the cars?
                              >
                              > No. 128:
                              > http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=218621&nseq=29
                              >
                              > No. 126:
                              > http://www.dhke.com/railroad/utah/art.htm
                              > Art City Trolley Restaurant
                              > 256 N. Main St.
                              > Springville, Utah
                              >
                              > No. 127:
                              > http://www.oerm.org/pages/brr127.html
                              >
                              > -Aaron

                              Those are some great pictures, especially on the Orange Empire web site.

                              BTW, if you haven't checked out the Brill Bullet section of Gino's FJ&G site in a while, be sure to do so. He's got some new pictures I had not seen before.

                              Glenn
                              Penacook, NH
                            • Fjgrailroad
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 24 9:09 AM
                                As a matter of fact Glenn, there is more to come!

                                Gino

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 24 12:34 PM
                                  Dear Aaron and Gino: I'm a tad confused by
                                  this. Does 125 still exist? Anybody know
                                  what happened to 129. ---Andy

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 24 2:30 PM
                                    This is from the Orange Empire People...

                                    Bullet's 125, 127 and 129 were offered to the Orange Empire Museum. The 127 was in the
                                    best shape out of all of them.  The museum decided to keep the 127 and scrap the 125 and 129
                                    to salvage parts for the restoration of the 127.  The cars were being used as bunk houses for
                                    migrant workers at a Pickle Factory in Utah.

                                    The 128 was purchased by an individual to create the Diner outside of Salt Lake City.

                                    The 126 was purchased by an individual with the intention of restoring her, but she was pretty
                                    much sitting around for the last 40 years in storage.  A rail museum in Utah has acquired her
                                    for restoration at their museum.

                                    It will be nice to have two Baby Bullets on display somewhere in the world.  It would be nice
                                    to have one painted for the FJ&G, but the 127 is going to sport Bamberger paint and car 126
                                    is going to a museum not far from where she worked at the end of her career...

                                    Gino

                                    Dear Aaron and Gino: I'm a tad confused by
                                    this. Does 125 still exist? Anybody know
                                    what happened to 129. ---Andy

                                    --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@ ...> wrote:

                                    Aaron,

                                    > Thanks for the link of the car on the flat car.
                                    According to John
                                    > Smatlek of the OEM, it's
                                    > 126 on the flat car
                                    and the 128 is the Diner.

                                    ____________ _________ _________ __

                                    href="mailto:FJGRailroad%40yahoogroups.com">FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com]

                                    To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                                    href="http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=218621&nseq=29">http://www.railpict ures.net/ viewphoto. php?id=218621& nseq=29

                                    href="http://www.dhke.com/railroad/utah/art.htm">http://www.dhke. com/railroad/ utah/art. htm

                                    Art City Trolley Restaurant
                                    > 256 N. Main St.
                                    > Springville,
                                    Utah

                                    href="http://www.oerm.org/pages/brr127.html">http://www.oerm. org/pages/ brr127.html

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 24 4:47 PM
                                      Pardon my bad math, but there are four cars being discussed here? Is there one car that is to be scrapped? Is there actually an opportunity to get the shell of a car back into Johnstown? If the answer is Yes. I might just pledge some funds to get it back to New York.

                                      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                                      Dear Aaron and Gino: I'm a tad confused by
                                      this. Does 125 still exist? Anybody know
                                      what happened to 129. ---Andy

                                      --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@ ...> wrote:

                                      > Aaron,
                                      >
                                      > Thanks for the link of the car on the flat car. According to John
                                      > Smatlek of the OEM, it's
                                      > 126 on the flat car and the 128 is the Diner.
                                      >
                                      > Gino
                                      >
                                      > ____________ _________ _________ __

                                      HotmailĀ® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.
                                    • Richard Finn
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 25 7:19 AM
                                        Just about a year ago we were visiting friends in Banning, CA about 30 miles north of Perris on "Da 10".  As I had expressed interest to go to the OEM, friend Hal took me there on a Thursday.  Unfortunately the Museum was closed but the office was open.  The young lady there found one of the volunteers, and after several minutes of persuasion by Hal and me, he opened the barn where 127 was stored.  It was the last object on the track next to the back wall, but I spotted it right away.

                                        Cosmetically it looked very well on it's port side.  I was unable to see the starboard side because it was inaccessible.  That is the good news.

                                        The bad news is that it has not been moved since another friend of mine from G'ville saw it 6 years ago.  He got to meet John Smatlek who gave him a fine tour.  (I don't think the guy I met was John).  The Museum is a huge facility of mostly Western railroading and traction looks very run down, and needs big $$$$ and plenty of man & woman power.  (Do you folks like my PCishness?)

                                        The Museum is constantly looking for volunteers.  Last year the area of Riverside and south was experiencing phenomenal growth in both population and industry.  I would have mentioned to some of you younger members that if you could stand 120 F desert summer heat, there were many opportunities for both employment and volunteering at the OEM.  But the economy and fiscal condition of CA make it very unattractive to live, but OK to visit.  Our daughter and son-in-law in Orange County says businesses are leaving CA in droves because of the political/economic conditions and tax penalties against businesses.

                                        Dick (GHS 1951 and now in eastern MA)

                                        On Mar 24, 2009, at 5:30 PM, Dicarlo, Gino wrote:

                                        This is from the Orange Empire People...

                                        Bullet's 125, 127 and 129 were offered to the Orange Empire Museum. The 127 was in the
                                        best shape out of all of them.  The museum decided to keep the 127 and scrap the 125 and 129
                                        to salvage parts for the restoration of the 127.  The cars were being used as bunk houses for
                                        migrant workers at a Pickle Factory in Utah.

                                        The 128 was purchased by an individual to create the Diner outside of Salt Lake City.

                                        The 126 was purchased by an individual with the intention of restoring her, but she was pretty
                                        much sitting around for the last 40 years in storage.  A rail museum in Utah has acquired her
                                        for restoration at their museum.

                                        It will be nice to have two Baby Bullets on display somewhere in the world.  It would be nice
                                        to have one painted for the FJ&G, but the 127 is going to sport Bamberger paint and car 126
                                        is going to a museum not far from where she worked at the end of her career...

                                        Gino

                                        Dear Aaron and Gino: I'm a tad confused by
                                        this. Does 125 still exist? Anybody know
                                        what happened to 129. ---Andy

                                        --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@ ...> wrote:

                                        > Aaron,
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for the link of the car on the flat car. According to John
                                        > Smatlek of the OEM, it's
                                        > 126 on the flat car and the 128 is the Diner.
                                        >
                                        > Gino

                                      • Fjgrailroad
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 25 9:47 AM
                                          Joe,

                                          There were 5 cars in all.  2 have been scrapped
                                          1 was converted into a resturant and 2 are at
                                          Musuems...

                                          Sent from my iPhone

                                          To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com