Rail Trails

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 13, 2008
      Train enthusiasts have a love hate relationship with rail trails.
      We're glad that the the railroad's path has been preserved, but at the
      same time look back to a time when the railroad existed. For some
      weird reason, local governments place more value on the the trail than
      they did on the actual railroad. We have visited this subject several
      times in the group regarding measures that were or were not taken by
      Gloversville, Johnstown and the two counties to try and save the line.
      Here, the Michigan Star Clipper Dinner Train is quitting at the end of
      the year. Right by our condo, the last five miles of one of the GTW's
      oldest subdivisions is doomed since there are only 4 loose car freight
      customers and an expensive to maintain gated state highway crossing.
      The township is already looking at extending the rail trail that
      starts over in Pontiac. Like, the body isn't cold yet, and the
      vultures are circling.
      Saul
      West Bloomfield, Mich.
    • Dan Sapochetti
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 13, 2008
        Saul
        By my house we have an unused rail line(EL Cleveland Branch) that has
        not been used since 1996. I'm not sure why this hasn't been torn up but
        CR an now NS have their reasons.All of the grade crossings have been
        torn out and not just paved over.The gates and flashers were the first
        to go about 10 yrs ago.I would love to see trains go past the restored
        depot but the line is too far gone and Carlon/Cantex now ship by truck
        only.Our mayor is chomping on the bit to get these rails out and connect
        it to existing trails from already abandoned trackage.
        the end of line chamberlain road mantua oh\
        http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q192/dansapo/Buildings/?action=view¤t=IM000001-3.jpg
        looking the other way
        http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q192/dansapo/Buildings/?action=view¤t=IM000002-4.jpg
        Dan Sapochetti