Fwd: Schenectady, NY - Gloversville Car & State St. Postcard - eBay (item 250241533518 end time May-03-08 06:41:58 PDT)

    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2008
      Steve Myers has given me the heads up on a great postcard on Ebay.
      It's of an FJ&G interurban going down State Street in Schenectady.

      Here's the link:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&i
      tem=250241533518&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

      http://ginosrailpage.com
      http://fjgrr.org
      http://ginosmusicservice.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2008
        What is nice about that card is the color of the 100 series car.  That is the postcard company's version of Wagner Brown which I have been told was the color of a  Hershey bar.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: fjgrailroad@...
        Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 17:57:11 -0400
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] Fwd: Schenectady, NY - Gloversville Car & State St. Postcard - eBay (item 250241533518 end time May-03-08 06:41:58 PDT)

        Steve Myers has given me the heads up on a great postcard on Ebay.
        It's of an FJ&G interurban going down State Street in Schenectady.

        Here's the link:

        http://cgi.ebay. com/ws/eBayISAPI .dllViewItem& ssPageName= STRK:MEBTOX: IT&i
        tem=250241533518& _trksid=p3984. cTODAY.m238. lVI

        http://ginosrailpag e.com
        http://fjgrr. org
        http://ginosmusicse rvice.com

        Windows Live SkyDrive lets you share files with faraway friends. Start sharing.
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2008
          So the 100's paint was more dark brown and never greenish?

          Gino

          To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2008
            Yes, they came Wagner Brown with gold leaf trimmings and remained that way until painted in the traction orange scheme.  That was the standard color for all the FJ&G passenger equipment.  Crimson was standard before the Wagner Brown.  Allegedly the combines were brown not olive green.  In some color photos they sure appear to be greenish but I suspect, based on what I've heard, that is a weathered Wagner brown.  The green tint could also be a result of the varnish applied over the paint.

            PKL

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: Gino.Dicarlo@...
            Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 17:44:09 -0500

            To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2008
              Hi Paul,

              As you say, the few color shots of the combine appear to be a green and
              not brown. The roof and trucks appear to be a red, or maybe a fading
              red over silver, is this so or what were the actual colors of the roof
              and trucks?

              Paul :-)

              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2008
                Paul,

                The FJ&G chose Wagner Brown as their standard color in July of 1898.  Prior to that it was crimson.  Do you suppose this reflected the NYC influence on the management and on the board of directors?  What color were the NYC passenger cars?

                Their is a report in one of the papers describing the repainting of the 205 -209 series trolleys from the yellow in which they arrived to the company's standard color.  They called it dark green.  So there it is; perception IS everything.  I would hazard a guess that the roofs on steam equipment have been that red paint over whatever material they coated them with for a very long time.  Studying the photographs, by eye, they all appear to be a lighter color than the sides ( that may simply be a matter of the surface texture and how the light is reflected to the black and white camera.  I can't recall ever hearing or seeing that the trucks were silver; in 1950 they were painted the same color as the roofs.

                You can find several postcards of steam trains at Gloversville depot, Northville depot and coming up the hill from Northville toward the park, where the coaches are depicted as brown.

                There is a nice photo from Bob's Photos taken in 1954 which shows what appears to be a refreshed combine 21 above the station.  Red roof, red steps, all metal appurtenances black, sash the same as the body which is .. is it a brown or an olive?  In another of Bpb's photos taken in 1959 from near the end of Second Street in Gloversville, looking toward the freight house and the depot you can detect that Hershey coloring, against the green weeds.

                When they arrived (1922) the M-55's were Wagner brown with black roofs.  When the 340 went into service (1938) it was Wagner brown with a "red" roof.  Perhaps that can narrow the change in the roof coloring.

                That's more than enough trivia for tonight.

                PKL

                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                From: p.charlie@...
                Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 20:34:02 -0400

                Paul Larner wrote:
                > Yes, they came Wagner Brown with gold leaf trimmings and remained
                > that way until painted in the traction orange scheme. That was the
                > standard color for all the FJ&G passenger equipment. Crimson was
                > standard before the Wagner Brown. Allegedly the combines were brown
                > not olive green. In some color photos they sure appear to be
                > greenish but I suspect, based on what I've heard, that is a weathered
                > Wagner brown. The green tint could also be a result of the varnish
                > applied over the paint.
                >
                > PKL

                Stay in touch when you're away with Windows Live Messenger. IM anytime you're online.