RE: [FJGRailroad] Vails Mills

    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2008
      Paul

      I was thinking about your timing the railroad pre July 1956.

      After leaving Kingsboro Ave. station the next spur was east of the road crossing at Vail Mills, between a country road and the track.  The arterial turnout, the arterial (Rte 30A), Mohawk Cabinet did not yet exist.  There was the concrete register and phone shelter at Broadalbin Jct., also section signs, 3/4 at the register shelter, 4/6 at the former location of the junction switch.  The was an tool and warm up house,board and batten style, on the east/south side of the track, half-way between Kasson's and Rupert's, and a low pole line with two wires on the east or south side of the track also.  Until you arrived at the Yard Limit sign for Broadalbin there was nothing else in addition to the Vail's Mills waiting room.  Highway crossing signs were not cross bucks, but NYState diamond style.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: p.charlie@...
      Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 07:22:38 -0400
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Vails Mills

      Hi Paul,

      I made the station board say "Vails Mills" as that's how it's shown in
      the photo I have but I just checked the 1954 ETT and it's written as
      "Vail Mills"!

      Paul :-)

      Paul Larner wrote:
      > Hello Paul,Apostrophe in VAIL'S , dropped by the post office in 1911
      > and so too by the railroad in their public timetables from 1910 until
      > 1942 when the "S" began to reappear. By 1943 the "S" was in and
      > stayed to the end. In the employee timetables it was spelled as the
      > post office did; no "S." Go figure?PKLTo:

      Back to work after baby– how do you know when you’re ready?
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2008
        Hi Paul,

        OK, not sure who Mohawk Cabinet was, would that be Hussmann Industries?

        I have the concrete shelter drawn and placed just beyond the crossing at
        Broadalbin Junction.

        I have the double ended siding with the ERIE cement hopper and can see
        in the north west background a cement plant. Vails Mills passenger
        shelter, looking east I can see the famous Broadalbin tool shed and
        maybe the only Yard limit posts I've seen on the entire line. What were
        Kasson's and Rupert's?

        I'm just finishing Gloversville, should be done by the end of today,
        just placing switchstands, signs, and a bit of scenery work. Should be
        posting a beta and some screen shots tomorrow.

        Paul :-)

        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2008
          Hi Paul,

          Had a look for Mohawk Cabinet on Google and found they opened in 1958
          and Hussmann bought the building in the early '70s... another drawing
          bites the dust, too bad, it turned out kind of nice for a "modern building".

          Paul :-)

          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2008
            Yes, Mohawk Cabinet became Hussman's; that plant didn't exist in your time frame, nor did their spur or the one south of the not yet built Rte. 30 A.  From Vails Mills you had to have pretty good vision to see the Broadalbin tool house it was around a slight curve beyond the switch of the VM spur and nearly a mile distant.  Kasson's and Rupert's were the first and second crossings, respectively, east of Broadalbin, Jct.  I have heard that at one time there was a milk platform at Kasson's, but earlier than your plan.

            PKL

            > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            > From: p.charlie@...
            > Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 12:22:11 -0400
            > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Vails Mills
            >
            > Hi Paul,
            >
            > OK, not sure who Mohawk Cabinet was, would that be Hussmann Industries?
            >
            > I have the concrete shelter drawn and placed just beyond the crossing at
            > Broadalbin Junction.
            >
            > I have the double ended siding with the ERIE cement hopper and can see
            > in the north west background a cement plant. Vails Mills passenger
            > shelter, looking east I can see the famous Broadalbin tool shed and
            > maybe the only Yard limit posts I've seen on the entire line. What were
            > Kasson's and Rupert's?
            >
            > I'm just finishing Gloversville, should be done by the end of today,
            > just placing switchstands, signs, and a bit of scenery work. Should be
            > posting a beta and some screen shots tomorrow.
            >
            > Paul :-)
            >
            > Paul Larner wrote:
            > > Paul
            > >
            > > I was thinking about your timing the railroad pre July 1956.
            > >
            > > After leaving Kingsboro Ave. station the next spur was east of the
            > > road crossing at Vail Mills, between a country road and the track.
            > > The arterial turnout, the arterial (Rte 30A), Mohawk Cabinet did not
            > > yet exist. There was the concrete register and phone shelter at
            > > Broadalbin Jct., also section signs, 3/4 at the register shelter, 4/6
            > > at the former location of the junction switch. The was an tool and
            > > warm up house,board and batten style, on the east/south side of the
            > > track, half-way between Kasson's and Rupert's, and a low pole line
            > > with two wires on the east or south side of the track also. Until
            > > you arrived at the Yard Limit sign for Broadalbin there was nothing
            > > else in addition to the Vail's Mills waiting room. Highway crossing
            > > signs were not cross bucks, but NYState diamond style.
            > >
            > > PKL

            > <*> Your email settings:
            > Individual Email | Traditional
            >
            > <*> To change settings online go to:
            > (Yahoo! ID required)
            >
            > <*> To change settings via email:
            > mailto:FJGRailroad-digest@yahoogroups.com
            > mailto:FJGRailroad-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Make i'm yours. Create a custom banner to support your cause.
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2008
              There really wasn't much traffic east of Kingsboro Ave station.  Too many days the mixed ran with only a combine.