Vails Mills

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 28 5:58 AM
      Hi All,

      Anyone know when the passenger shelter was removed from the crossing at
      Vails Mills?

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 30 6:08 AM

        Paul,  I'll hazard a guess that it was removed shortly after the mixed train stopped running, Summer of 1956.  I have spoken with people who remember it and their recollection would have been from the early fifties.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: p.charlie@...
        Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:58:51 -0400
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] Vails Mills

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 30 6:55 AM
          Hi Paul,

          Thanks, I guess I'd better draw it as I plan on including the Mixed.

          Paul :-)

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 30 8:11 AM
            Don't make it too fancy.

            PKL

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: p.charlie@...
            Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:55:59 -0400
            Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Vails Mills

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 30 9:10 AM
              Hi Paul,

              I started with the Gloversville station and kept removing parts until I
              was left with this:

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 30 8:46 PM
                Hello Paul,

                Apostrophe in VAIL'S , dropped by the post office in 1911 and so too by the railroad in their public timetables from 1910 until 1942 when the "S" began to reappear.  By 1943 the "S" was in and stayed to the end.  In the employee timetables it was spelled as the post office did; no "S."  Go figure?

                PKL

                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                From: p.charlie@...
                Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:10:11 -0400

                Hi Paul,

                I started with the Gloversville station and kept removing parts until I
                was left with this:

                http://finance. ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/FJGRailroa d/photos/ view/6a0c? b=4&m=f&o= 0

                Paul :-)

                Paul Larner wrote:
                > Don't make it too fancy.
                >
                > PKL

                Make i'm yours. Create a custom banner to support your cause.
                Message 7 of 12 , May 1, 2008
                  Hi Paul,

                  I made the station board say "Vails Mills" as that's how it's shown in
                  the photo I have but I just checked the 1954 ETT and it's written as
                  "Vail Mills"!

                  Paul :-)

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 1, 2008
                    Paul

                    I was thinking about your timing the railroad pre July 1956.

                    After leaving Kingsboro Ave. station the next spur was east of the road crossing at Vail Mills, between a country road and the track.  The arterial turnout, the arterial (Rte 30A), Mohawk Cabinet did not yet exist.  There was the concrete register and phone shelter at Broadalbin Jct., also section signs, 3/4 at the register shelter, 4/6 at the former location of the junction switch.  The was an tool and warm up house,board and batten style, on the east/south side of the track, half-way between Kasson's and Rupert's, and a low pole line with two wires on the east or south side of the track also.  Until you arrived at the Yard Limit sign for Broadalbin there was nothing else in addition to the Vail's Mills waiting room.  Highway crossing signs were not cross bucks, but NYState diamond style.

                    PKL

                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    From: p.charlie@...
                    Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 07:22:38 -0400

                    Paul Larner wrote:
                    > Hello Paul,Apostrophe in VAIL'S , dropped by the post office in 1911
                    > and so too by the railroad in their public timetables from 1910 until
                    > 1942 when the "S" began to reappear. By 1943 the "S" was in and
                    > stayed to the end. In the employee timetables it was spelled as the
                    > post office did; no "S." Go figure?PKLTo:

                    Back to work after baby– how do you know when you’re ready?
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 1, 2008
                      Hi Paul,

                      OK, not sure who Mohawk Cabinet was, would that be Hussmann Industries?

                      I have the concrete shelter drawn and placed just beyond the crossing at
                      Broadalbin Junction.

                      I have the double ended siding with the ERIE cement hopper and can see
                      in the north west background a cement plant. Vails Mills passenger
                      shelter, looking east I can see the famous Broadalbin tool shed and
                      maybe the only Yard limit posts I've seen on the entire line. What were
                      Kasson's and Rupert's?

                      I'm just finishing Gloversville, should be done by the end of today,
                      just placing switchstands, signs, and a bit of scenery work. Should be
                      posting a beta and some screen shots tomorrow.

                      Paul :-)

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 1, 2008
                        Hi Paul,

                        Had a look for Mohawk Cabinet on Google and found they opened in 1958
                        and Hussmann bought the building in the early '70s... another drawing
                        bites the dust, too bad, it turned out kind of nice for a "modern building".

                        Paul :-)

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 1, 2008
                          Yes, Mohawk Cabinet became Hussman's; that plant didn't exist in your time frame, nor did their spur or the one south of the not yet built Rte. 30 A.  From Vails Mills you had to have pretty good vision to see the Broadalbin tool house it was around a slight curve beyond the switch of the VM spur and nearly a mile distant.  Kasson's and Rupert's were the first and second crossings, respectively, east of Broadalbin, Jct.  I have heard that at one time there was a milk platform at Kasson's, but earlier than your plan.

                          PKL

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 1, 2008
                            There really wasn't much traffic east of Kingsboro Ave station.  Too many days the mixed ran with only a combine.