Re: [FJGRailroad] MSTS Update

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
      Hi Gino,

      You can go into Explore mode and change to snow, rain, or night right
      now. For an activity you would select the season and the weather
      conditions while setting up the activity. I haven't gotten into this
      very much yet, I was going to do this as an update after getting the
      route completed and posted. What you have to do for an example is to
      have have two files that use the same name, one file is the default file
      for summer, like a grey road that you can see the lines painted on and a
      winter version that uses the same file name that goes in a "Snow" folder
      that's white with grey showing through where the tire tracks would be.
      You change a setting in the file for the default version that tells MSTS
      that if the season is winter to look for an alternate version of a
      texture or file. This is also how you do night, you have your building
      drawn, then you take the same building and change a few windows from
      blackened to, most people use yellow to represent a light on inside,
      then the sim uses the one in the night folder, makes the outside nearly
      black but with the yellow windows makes it appear to have a few lights
      on inside.

      Actual weather conditions are much easier, you select clear, rain, or
      snow in Explore mode or when setting up an activity and the sim does all
      the rest. I've seen add-ons that will give you a thunder storm if
      that's what you want, must be pretty neat to have this at night, sound
      effects and all.

      Paul :-)