Ron Crowd's obituary

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2 4:42 PM
      A nice guy who saved the Greenwich and Johnsonville Railroad and part of the D&H's
      Washington Branch past away this week.  He also tried to rescue the West Shore
      between Amsterdam and Fort Plain.

      Gino

      Ron's obituary appeared today in the Glens Falls Post Star
      He will always be remembered as a fan, who also had a vision.

      Ronald Edward Crowd

      ARGYLE Ronald Edward Crowd, 57, of Harper Road, Argyle, was placed in the hands of the Lord on Sunday, March 30, 2008, after a long illness, with his family at his bedside. He was born on July 24, 1950, in Brooklyn, N.Y. He was predeceased by his parents, Walter and Bertha Crowd. He owned and ran the Batten Kill Railroad since 1983. He was the first African-American to own a railroad in the United States. He was aired on many television programs including Good Morning America and featured in several newspaper articles. He was one of the founders of the Greenwich Chamber of Commerce. He volunteered for the Greenwich Fire Department, and was a member of the New York State Operation LifeSaver (Train Safety). He was a member of the Fruitful Vine Christian Church. He loved working on building his model trains, was a wonderful artist, he could draft and even helped design a bridge. Despite Ron's limitations he lived life to the fullest. He was well known and made friends wherever he went. He traveled, cooked, and did many activities. Survivors include his wife, Sherri Crowd; his children, Christopher Crowd and wife, Melanie, Nicholle Rich and husband, Paul, Alicia Crowd, Lee Crowd, Diana Nevins, and Jacob Crowd; four grandchildren: Xavier, Arianna, and Trinity Crowd, and Lily Rich; and his first wife, Patricia Crowd. Friends may call from 5 to 7 p.m., on Wednesday, April 2, 2008, at Flynn Bros., Inc. Funeral Home, 80 Main St., Greenwich. A funeral service will follow at 7 p.m. Burial will be held later in the spring in the Greenwich Cemetery. Memorials can be made to the Argyle Rescue Squad, Attention Anna Bristol, 248 Pleasant Valley Road, Argyle, NY 12809. The family memorial Web site is www.roncrowd. org Online remembrances can also be made at www.flynn brosinc.com

      Published in the Post-Star on 4/1/2008.

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3 9:45 PM

        As i understand it, Ron Crowd wanted the West Shore from Rotterdam Jct to Canajoharie which was where the freight traffic was on the old West Shore branch. Penn Central wanted a lot of money for the branch. My recollection is that PC wanted something on the order of $5 million for the line and the available public money was only $3.5 million. There was a great deal of wrangling going on about this project at the time...1976 ishh.

        I have an artical about it from the Leader herald if i can locate it. My recollection is that ultimately, the scrap
        value was greater to the cash starved PC than the moneys that Ron Crowd and the counties involved could put together.

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3 10:05 PM
          You know, I finally met Ron Crowd this past December at the Albany Train show
          and I asked him all about the West Shore and what happened.  He told me  they
          had the money to purchase it, but Beech Nut wouldn't commit to the traffic needed
          to keep the line open.  Ron said Beech Nut was the only stumbling block in keeping
          the line active.  I think Beech Nut said they would guarantee about 2 carloads a
          week and that was it.  I also mentioned a story I heard about the B&M wanting to
          run the branch, but Ron said they were told the same thing, no gauentee on traffic.

          End of story.

          I saw the abandonment petiton for the Fort Plain Industrial Track and Conrail wanted to
          unload it just for no traffic.  When Conrail was created, they wanted to scrap it in 1976.
          I don't remember the exact numbers, but the traffic on the branch was limited to Beech
          Nut, nothing else and in a two year period they cut their railshipments big time.  The
          state of course forced them to keep the line open, due to complaints by Beech Nut.
          I'm sure Beech Nut needed the branch open to bargain for a trucking contract!  Here's
          a funny one, Beech Nut complained to Chuck Shumer a few years ago to rebuild the
          line so they could go back to rail service, but the price to do so was outragous.  It was
          eith rebuild the line from Rotterdam Juction, or build a new bridge at Nelliston, each
          coming with a hefty price tag!

          Gino

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: Gino.Dicarlo@...
          Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:42:00 -0500

          http://ginosrailpage.com
          http://fjgrr.org
          http://ginosmusicservice.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3 11:01 PM
            Wow, please excuse the grammar in my post.  That's what happens when I send emails at 1 in the morning!

            Gino