RE: [FJGRailroad] Fairbanks Feed

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 19, 2008
      In 1956 the railroad ended 84+ years providing passenger service, bus April 23, and train July 20.  As a result the large general office building was no longer necessary.  Retirements claimed many of the office employees, who were not replaced.  When they moved across the street, there may have been six employees in the general office; I remember only five names of persons who transferred from the GOB.  I believe there were three jobs in the freight office; probably a couple in the freight house, with three in the shop.  The 340 stopped running in 1958; after July 17, 1960 the company no longer carried the express, however this business did come back lasting until 1968.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: akeller_1979@...
      Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:34:35 -0800
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fairbanks Feed

      What was the reason behind the contraction of services in 1957?  That is the same year they moved out of the depot and into the addition on the front of the freight house.  Which, by the way, I've never seen a picture of that addition being constructed.

      -Aaron