Super steel

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 18, 2008
      We were upstate this weekend and on the way home I stopped by Super Steel. It is sad to see the turbos sitting there doing nothing. The tarps have torn  away from some of the units that were being worked on and i can only imagine the deterioration it is causing.

      On the upside there was a strange looking unit outside the shop, a geep-9-ish looking unit in brand new yellow. On one side of the unit were arabic letters, on the other side were the initials SNIM.

      The unit number was RR 209.

      The first unit pulled a second unit from the shop and the two went down the track to come over to the load testing booth. The second unit was numbered RR 212.

      Here is the amazing thing. There was a huge air intake up behind the cab that was 18 inches higher than the cab roof. This thing was enormous......

      I asked a guy who came out of the shop what that was......... "a locomotive", he replied.

      Then he explained that this unit had a pulse air intake. Every 30 seconds or so it will reverse the airflow and essentially blow out the accumulated dirt. Rather than blowing it straight out it goes into a gizmo that directs the sand to the outside running board where there is a guy stationed with a shovel.

      Apparently these units are to be used in some kind of mine where there is a lot of sand. Sort of the opposite of a tunnel motor where the air intake is concerned. These units are for export and i thought the guy said they were goung to Morrisania in the mid-east. Between his upstate accent and my hearing I am sure I did not get it right.

      Anyway as they moved these units from the building to the switch to go to the load testing building, my kids and I repositioned ourselves down along the track further from the building.

      As the crew came around the curve they stopped and asked if we would like to have our picture taken on the engine. A nice treat !

      Made for a nice adventure with my 9 and 10 year olds.......

      So what are these strange looking EMD Exports?

    • Charlie Vosburgh
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 19, 2008
        Joe;  I remember seeing pictures back in the 50s of standard locomotives that had a similar filter system on EMD units for Saudi Arabia to deal with the sand storms in the desert.  Also in the book, Diesels from Eddystone, Locos built for the Algerian RR had a special filter system installed.  Charlie
[...]

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • Jerry Snyder
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 19, 2008
          Based on a little on-line digging:
          Mauritania (Islamic Republic of Mauritania)is a former
          French colony located on the northwest cost of Africa.
          In 1974 the government of Mauritania nationalized
          MIFERMA (Mauritanian Company of Iron Mines - acronym
          is from the French words) and created SNIM - Societe
          nationale industrielle et miniere. The company
          operates three large open pit iron ore mines in the
          heart of the Sahara desert and its own single track
          standard gauge railway to haul the ore 450 miles out
          to the Atlantic port of Nouadhibou. Six trains are
          normally run simultaneously - 3 full and 3 empty.
          Average load weight is 23,000 tons. The main problems
          noted for the railway are the tracks being completely
          buried by the sand, the constant coating of sand on
          the rails which cuts adhesion to 28-30%, rail wear,
          and maintaining track geometry.

          The usual motive power is three or four General Motors
          SDL40-2s developed by Electro-Motive for special
          desert operations. As far as that special air system
          is concerned: "The trains generate their own
          minisandstorm that enshrouds and follows the
          locomotives the entire route, the sand being ingested
          and then expelled by a sophisticated filtration
          system. The central air compartment, which supplies
          air to the engine and electrical equipment for
          cooling, is protected by self-purging filters that are
          pulsed by high pressure air to back-flush the
          elements. After passing this stage, the air is
          filtered again by specially treated fiberglass
          elements before entering the engine's turbocharger."
          Jerry

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 19, 2008
            Never occurred to me when I woke up at the foot of Clip Hill,  2 1/2 miles outside of Johnstown, N.Y., that i would get an education on the geography of West Africa.  Thank you Jerry!

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
              All concerned,
              Anyone wishing to see a photo of one of these engines, my kids got the photos back from Rite Aid. I will scan and email to you if you like

              Riverlinejoe

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 26, 2008
                Joe,
                There's a story/photo in today's Schenectady Gazette
                about the SNIM engines you saw at Supersteel. They
                were being loaded on a cargo ship at the Port of
                Albany. The story mentioned that they had several
                special features for desert operation, including both
                a main plow and individual air operated plows on the
                wheel sets for clearing the sand from the tracks, but
                no mention of those special air filters.
                Jerry

                Be a better friend, newshound, and
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 27, 2008
                  Thansk i will look for it.