RE: [FJGRailroad] National Archives Information

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: Gino.Dicarlo@...
      Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 01:26:51 -0600
      Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] National Archives Information

      What is a compressed-air locomotive?

      Gino

      From: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:FJGRailroad @yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of joseph Klapkowski
      Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 11:03 AM
      To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com

      After years of chasing the US Navy for information on Iona Island, the Navy admitted that if they had records, they did not know where they were. They suggested I contact the National Archives Annex in NYC.

      I called and low and behold, the archivist I spoke with had just moved six boxes of stuff marked Iona Island. I went over there and they got out all six boxes and even made a copy of a GSA map 4' x 3 1/2 ' showing all the tracks and buildings (Iona Island was a naval magazine located at MP 41 on the NYC Riverline. They operated at least two and perhaps more, compressed air locomotives) .

      Anyway I had to go to the Annex on Varick Street and my recollection is you could not bring in a bag of any kind and while I would not say they watched me they were very attentive to my needs ( The cost to copy the GSA map was about five bucks and they did it in about five minutes).

      It was a very pleasant and enjoyable experience although it might not exactly apply to your inquiry.

      To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: fjgbus@comcast. net
      Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:59:47 -0500
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] National Archives Information

      The March, 2008 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman includes an article entitled "Using the National Archives as a Modeling Resource: Part 1. This is an introduction to the railroad related records that are available for public examination. It appears that only search instructions and indexes are available on the web and that the actual documents must be researched and copied at the archive. If any members of the group can offer any additional information, please do so.
      Saul

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
        A compressed air loco looks kind of like a steam engine but instead of a boiler it has compressed air cylinders. You fill er up, run for a while, stop and fill er up again. At Iona Island the tracks ran in essentially a big oval with air outlets placed strategically around the loop. This way the engine is never far from the next fill up. It would not work on a run of track between points A and B unless you had compressed air stations located along the ROW at fairly short intervals.

        Would you like to see a picture?

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: Gino.Dicarlo@...
        Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 01:26:51 -0600

        From: fjgbus@comcast. net
        Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:59:47 -0500

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
          An engine with a tank from which compressed air is released to cause the pistons to operate.  Fireless engines had many applications among the various industries and in mines.  They weren't all small locomotives either.

          PKL

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: Gino.Dicarlo@...
          Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 01:26:51 -0600

          From: fjgbus@comcast. net
          Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:59:47 -0500

          The March, 2008 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman includes an article entitled "Using the National Archives as a Modeling Resource: Part 1. This is an introduction to the railroad related records that are available for public examination. It appears that only search instructions and indexes are available on the web and that the actual documents must be researched and copied at the archive. If any members of the group can offer any additional information, please do so.
          Saul

        • Gino DiCarlo
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
            Yes! Sounds neat!

            Gino
            --- joseph Klapkowski <riverlinejoe@...>

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
              Let me know that you got this .......

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com; fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: thedicarlos@...
              Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:51:00 -0800

              Yes! Sounds neat!

              Gino
              --- joseph Klapkowski <riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com>
              wrote:

              > A compressed air loco looks kind of like a steam
              > engine but instead of a boiler it has compressed air
              > cylinders. You fill er up, run for a while, stop and
              > fill er up again. At Iona Island the tracks ran in
              > essentially a big oval with air outlets placed
              > strategically around the loop. This way the engine
              > is never far from the next fill up. It would not
              > work on a run of track between points A and B unless
              > you had compressed air stations located along the
              > ROW at fairly short intervals.
              >
              > Would you like to see a picture?
              >

              > To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. comFrom:
              > Gino.Dicarlo@ qg.comDate: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 01:26:51
              > -0600Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] National Archives
              > Information
              >

              > What is a compressed-air locomotive?
              >
              > Gino
              >

              > From: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
              > [mailto:FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of
              > joseph KlapkowskiSent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008
              > 11:03 AMTo: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. comSubject: RE:
              > [FJGRailroad] National Archives Information
              >

              > After years of chasing the US Navy for information
              > on Iona Island, the Navy admitted that if they had
              > records, they did not know where they were. They
              > suggested I contact the National Archives Annex in
              > NYC. I called and low and behold, the archivist I
              > spoke with had just moved six boxes of stuff marked
              > Iona Island. I went over there and they got out all
              > six boxes and even made a copy of a GSA map 4' x 3
              > 1/2 ' showing all the tracks and buildings (Iona
              > Island was a naval magazine located at MP 41 on the
              > NYC Riverline. They operated at least two and
              > perhaps more, compressed air locomotives) . Anyway I
              > had to go to the Annex on Varick Street and my
              > recollection is you could not bring in a bag of any
              > kind and while I would not say they watched me they
              > were very attentive to my needs ( The cost to copy
              > the GSA map was about five bucks and they did it in
              > about five minutes). It was a very pleasant and
              > enjoyable experience although it might not exactly
              > apply to your inquiry.
              >

              > To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. comFrom:
              > fjgbus@comcast. netDate: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:59:47
              > -0500Subject: [FJGRailroad] National Archives
              > Information
              >

              > The March, 2008 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman
              > includes an article entitled 'Using the National
              > Archives as a Modeling Resource: Part 1. This is an
              > introduction to the railroad related records that
              > are available for public examination. It appears
              > that only search instructions and indexes are
              > available on the web and that the actual documents
              > must be researched and copied at the archive. If any
              > members of the group can offer any additional
              > information, please do so.
              > Saul
              >

              > Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant
              > messaging. You IM, we give. Learn more.

              > Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant
              > messaging. You IM, we give.

              http://im.live. com/Messenger/ IM/Home/? source=text_ hotmail_join

              http://www.yahoo. com/r/hs

            • Dave Brennan
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 14, 2008
                Yes         This is the third (3) time !

                To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com; fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                From: thedicarlos@ yahoo.com
                Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:51:00 -0800

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 14, 2008