Fwd: July, 1871 article with FJ&G

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2008
      Hi guys,

      Someone sent me an article from 1871 about the Self adjusting car
      coupling Company of Gloversville, NY. Was this a company on the
      property of the FJ&G?

      Gino

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 13, 2008
        Don't believe the coupler company was related to the FJ&G company as the names given for president and directors are not names in the FJ&G hierarchy.   Accordingly the couplers were tried on the FJ&G cars.  Others were also tried, until the Janney coupler became the accepted design in 1884.

        A man called J. Chauncey Hutchinson for a brief while was agent for the FJ&G at Johnstown during April and May of 1878. This was a period when the ticket agent, who had been on the job since the first day of the railroad was off.  There two J. C. Hutchinsons: a John C., a prominent banker in Johnstown and stockholder of the JG&KHRR, and this man J. Chauncey (father and son perhaps??).  J. J. Hanson, another of the principles in the coupler company was also a director of the horse railroad.   My guess would be that John C., the banker, is the money man.  I cant see why he would ever serve as an agent for the railroad.   Between 1874 and April of 1878 the horse railroad was a serious competitor of the FJ&G.  One could possibly read something into the taking on of J. Chauncey and his short tenure, as it coincides with the termination of the hostile relationship between the FJ&G and the JG&KH.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com