RE: [FJGRailroad] Steam gauges

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 12, 2008

      Thanks Paul./......

      To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: pklarner@...
      Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 01:51:23 -0500
      Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Steam gauges

      Joe,  160 is too low for a standard railroad steam gauge, unless perhaps it is for steam heat.  Working pressures on the FJ&G were between 150 psi for the 7 and 10 and 200 psi for the 120.  These I think you could say are on the low side.  The No. 12 gauge has a maximum psi indicated at 400 psi.  Cannot say for what pressure the pop was set.

      Can only assume newer and more powerful locomotives were higher.  There is some discussion of this subject in Jim Shaughnessy' s D&H book re their high pressure experiments.

      PKL

      To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com; hudsonriverrailline s@yahoogroups. com; dandh@yahoogroups. com
      From: riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com
      Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 06:07:49 +0000
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] Steam gauges

      What would the maximum and minimum pressure gradients have been on a steam pressure gauge found in your typical steam locomotive. I saw what purported to be a steam gauge off a steam locomotive but the maximum pressure on the gauge was 160 lbs. This struck me as kind of low. There must be an expert or two out there....... ....

      Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your HotmailĀ®-get your "fix". Check it out.