RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Locomotives paint scheme

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 26, 2008

      If swomebody gets seriously behind this and tells me where to email or write, I will not only lobby the manufacturer but order a set of engines myself.

      By the way does anyone know the status of the FJ&G 45 tonner. Last i heard it was in Iowa or some such place.

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: dmike27@...
      Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 08:17:36 -0800
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Locomotives paint scheme

                had a little computer glitch, so I'll try again.

        I appreciate you that know the FJ&G locomotive paint detailing differences, and also appreciate you modelers that want to get it right.
        As some of you undoubtedly know Atlas Model Trains just released a model of the Bath and Hammondsport Alco S-1 in "HO" scale.
        I too realize that a lot of modelers enjoy doing their own painting and detailing of their models.
        There also are lots and lots of model railroaders out there that don't have the time, or confidence ability, (no criticizing intended here), to paint up and/or detail their models.
        This being said,
      The Bath and Hammondsport S-1, (in both road numbers), that Atlas released, was not a special run,...... It was a production run, and it was probably helped into production, by interested people emailing requests, and parties willing to share with Atlas, paint scheme coloring, lettering, and specials painting details needed,  to see that these locomotives were locomotive models were manufactured accurately.
        The time is right for shortline model locomotives to be produced, which can be seriously helped along, by writing, emailing, and talking with the manufacturer at trade shows, such as the Amherst model train show in Springfield, Mass this weekend.
        Atlas makes a very credible Alco S-2 model too, that is just begging for the FJ&G paint schemes.

        I'm a new member to the FJ&J group, but have been a shortline-r for many years, and  followed the trackage of the FJ&G many times as I traveled through the area on my way to my aunts in Saratoga.
        Respectfully submitted, Mike Holdridge

      ############ ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### #

      Paul Larner pklarner@hotmail. com wrote:

        Skip, I don't have an explanation as to "why" but that is the way they were.  Notice also that the fronts of the cabs are different colors as well, 20 orange and 21 black.  The number on the nose of the 21 is on line with the lettering on the sides whereas with the 20 the nose number is above.  The number boards are also distinctive: 20 white on black; 21 black on white.  They were a year apart and it would seem whomever wasn't looking that close.
       PKL

      ############ ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### ##

      From: skip_8933@yahoo. com
      Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 19:15:47 +0000

      Hi all,
        I am working on getting some decals done for my S2s. It was brought to
      my attention that the front numbers on the S2s are different. It looks
      like 20 has the number applied to a plate that has a yellow
      background. On the other hand, 21 is on the orange background.
        Does anyone know why this is? My era is early 1950s, but I would
      suspect they were always this way.
      Skip

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 27, 2008
        Hi Joe and All,

        I've sent Chuck Friedlein an e-mail at Atlas with the suggestion. I
        also let him know Tony Koester suggested a letter writing campaign that
        would include people from this and other N scale interest groups but
        asked him if he's interested in this sort of thing to show support for
        the idea or not. I'd hate to have the guy's mailbox getting jammed up
        with what he may see as "junk mail" and turn him off from the idea of an
        N scale S-2.

        I'll let you know if I get a reply.

        Burlington Junction Railway 44, nee-FJ&G 30 Update

        Would appear the unit is still on the property in Burlington Iowa but
        was not on the roster of the official Burlington Junction Railway
        roster, they're buying up Geeps and mostly EMD switchers, although they
        also have at least one rare Alco C-415 and an MLW S-13.

        http://railphotos.herkamur.ca/xwiki/bin/view/Photos/BJRY0044-20070804-01

        Paul :-)

        joseph Klapkowski wrote:
        > If swomebody gets seriously behind this and tells me where to email
        > or write, I will not only lobby the manufacturer but order a set of
        > engines myself.
        >
        > By the way does anyone know the status of the FJ&G 45 tonner. Last i
        > heard it was in Iowa or some such place.
      • Glenn J. Williams
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 27, 2008
          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, joseph Klapkowski <riverlinejoe@...> wrote:

          > If swomebody gets seriously behind this and tells me where to email or write, I will not
          only lobby the manufacturer but order a set of engines myself.

          > [snip]

          The person at Atlas to write/email is:

          Cory Rothlisberger
          Product Development
          Atlas Model Railroad Co. Inc.
          378 Florence Avenue
          Hillside NJ 07205

          His email is crothlisberger at atlasrr.com

          One person should be their contact for providing paint plans, photos, and the like. It
          avoids conflicting information.

          Unfortunately, that person cannot be me due to family obligations.

          It goes without say (even though I'm gonna say it anyway) that our requests should be
          polite, reasonable, and short. I honestly don't know how much weight individual promises
          to buy a given number of units will carry, but like chicken soup, it can't hurt.

          Glenn
          Penacook, NH
        • Charlie Vosburgh
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 27, 2008
            Joe; Read your story in Bridge Line on your trip in the dome car.  Wish they had that car in service back 05 when I went up to Montreal to see the Expos play the Dodgers for the last time.  Got on at Saratoga and return.  On trip back, some guy named Paul Larner was the engineer.  Still a nice view but that sounds better.  Charlie

            To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

            From: skip_8933@yahoo. com
            Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 19:15:47 +0000

            Hi all,
              I am working on getting some decals done for my S2s. It was brought to
            my attention that the front numbers on the S2s are different. It looks
            like 20 has the number applied to a plate that has a yellow
            background. On the other hand, 21 is on the orange background.
              Does anyone know why this is? My era is early 1950s, but I would
            suspect they were always this way.
            Skip

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 27, 2008
              Ah It is a small world don't you think? How did you know who the engineer was ? Or is that why the view was so nice?

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: crvosburgh@...
              Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:37:06 -0500

              To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 28, 2008
                Joe;  When the train stopped for the customs check, the engine crew had to wait in the small station and I spotted Paul then.  I then gave my business card to the conductor and asked him to give it to Paul when they got A.R.  Paul called me when he got home.  Just in case you are wondering, I'm a Dodger fan.  Our family used to go to Montreal every year to see baseball games starting at Jarry Park and then Olympic Stadium.  My mothers brother was a National League umpire for 25 years and sometimes worked the Expos games.  Charlie.
                Ah It is a small world don't you think? How did you know who the engineer was ? Or is that why the view was so nice?

                To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                From: crvosburgh@citlink. net
                Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:37:06 -0500

                To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 28, 2008
                   I thought maybe you got a ride up front!

                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  From: crvosburgh@...
                  Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 08:31:55 -0500

                  To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                  From: crvosburgh@citlink. net
                  Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:37:06 -0500

                  To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 28, 2008
                    Ha, Paul only let his wife up front because she knew the signals.  It would have been illegal
                    otherwise!

                    Gino

                     I thought maybe you got a ride up front!

                    To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                    From: crvosburgh@citlink. net
                    Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 08:31:55 -0500

                    To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                    From: crvosburgh@citlink. net
                    Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:37:06 -0500

                    To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 29, 2008

                              When the Dodgers left Brooklyn was bad enough but they wintered here in Vero Beach so that wasn't to bad BUT now they are dumping VB to go out west so it is time to find a new team ! ! !
                                               Dave
                      Chatrlie Vosburgh <crvosburgh@...> wrote:
                      Joe;   Just in case you are wondering, I'm a Dodger fan.  Our family used to go to Montreal every year to see baseball games starting at Jarry Park and then Olympic Stadium.  My mothers brother was a National League umpire for 25 years and sometimes worked the Expos games.  Charlie.
                        Dave;  If you live in Vero Beach,  can you recommend a good place to stay.  Would like to get down there first or second week to see Dodgertown and a couple of games.  I have cataract surgery on 2/27 so it depends on outcome.  Been to Dodger Stadium but never spring training.  Charlie
                        Chatrlie Vosburgh <crvosburgh@citlink. net> wrote:
                        Joe;   Just in case you are wondering, I'm a Dodger fan.  Our family used to go to Montreal every year to see baseball games starting at Jarry Park and then Olympic Stadium.  My mothers brother was a National League umpire for 25 years and sometimes worked the Expos games.  Charlie.
                            Charlie;  Sorry,but just a snowbird for a couple of months.  Sister and I inherited a little house .  Used to be an inexpensive vaction. But now Fla. is going the way of NY--- raising & taxing everything.  As far as I can understand it the Dodgers are leaving Vero hanging and are still not saying if they are coming this year or not.      Dave