Re: [FJGRailroad] NYC Derailment 1947

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 26, 2008
      Somewhere I might have a picture of the 1947 derailment.  If anybody wants it, I'll post it.

      -Aaron Keller

    • Gerald Snyder
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
        I just posted two more photos which I received today
        of the 1947 NYC derailment. Checked the archives and
        found the Mohawk Valley Democrat (Fonda weekly paper)
        from 7/24/47. The wreck was, of course, the lead
        story:
        "Fonda Was Scene of Bad Freight Wreck"
        "Worst Wreck of Kind on New York Central Tied Up All
        Four Tracks 33 Cars Crumpled Up When Locomotive Hits
        Small Work Car and is Derailed in Front of Station
        Property Damage Was Large But Only Injury was to
        Engineer Whose Wrist was Broken"

        The main details of the story are as Charlie said.
        The story notes that that the small workcar which the
        eastbound freight struck was carrying an air
        compressor and was located just opposite the FJ&G
        turntable when the collision occured. Derailing cars
        from the eastbound struck the cars of a westbound
        local freight, causing 5 boxcars to derail to the
        south and block the other tracks. 24 of the 33 cars
        involved were carrying coal, with 1500 tons ending up
        on the ground. Two work trains were sent from Albany
        and Utica for the cleanup, which was completed by the
        following Tuesday night. An estimated 25,000 people
        were in Fonda on Friday to view the scene, and 20
        railroad police were assigned to crowd control. The
        story notes that the FJ&G diesel was tied up in the
        Fonda freightyard by the wreck and wasn't freed until
        the following Wednesday.
        Jerry

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?