Re: [FJGRailroad] NYC Derailment 1947

  • Gerald Snyder
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 24, 2008
      Charlie,
      Thanks for the information. I'll be up at History and
      Archives next week and check out the paper in the
      files.
      Jerry

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Charlie Vosburgh
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 25, 2008
        Gino; As a further note from the train wreck story,  freight trains were deverted to the West Shore line.  It was still double track at that time and I would have loved to see all that traffic going through Canajoharie.  The speed restrictions must have made for some real time spent for drivers.  A couple of other notes,  in the next to the last issue of the Central Headlight, a story from a former employee back in 1882 of how the Rodgers Locomotive Co. was working on an order for the first 20 new locos for the West Shore RR.  Also, I finaly got a copy of Trains mag. 3/59 with the FJ&G story.  The next story in the issue was from Lucius Beebe about the private car builders.  First time I have seen Webster Wagners name in that mag.  Always a person of interest for me as he was a native of Palatine Bridge.  Found a used copy of Mansions on Rails by Beebe and am waiting to seewhat else is said about him.  Charlie
        From: fjgbus@comcast. net
        Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:50:44 +0000
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] NYC Derailment 1947

        What switches did that tower across from the station control? Looks
        like most of the derailed cars were coal hoppers, probably WWI era,
        and one had an overheated journal box. Luckily the depot wasn't taken
        out or the Colonial Restaurant where I learned to love trains looking
        out the windows with my parents at Sunday Dinner. (Lunch that is)
        Saul

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • Gerald Snyder
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 25, 2008
          Charlie,
          Got another one for you - NYC at Yosts in late March
          of 1913. Floods washed out the line and the 4/12/13
          issue of ScientificAmerican has a shot of the coaches
          in the river. Any information on that one? Funny
          thing is that I bought a postcard about 3 years ago
          that wasn't identfied except in the message on the
          back that said it was an NYC derailment in the Mohawk
          Valley. Then I saw this paper on E-Bay a few months
          ago and there on the front was another picture of the
          same wreck from a different angle. Unfortunately whn
          I got it there was nothing in the story about the
          derailment - just a discussion of flooding in the
          eastern part of the country that year.
          Jerry

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Charlie Vosburgh
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 25, 2008
            Jerry;  That time period was when the present canal system was put in service.  The winchs on canal dams are the original from that time period.  I will have to on check on that for more info.  Seems like I have seen something about that, maybe your post cards.  Get back to you on that one.  Charlie.
            --- Charlie Vosburgh <crvosburgh@citlink. net> wrote:

            > Gino; As a further note from the train wreck story,
            > freight trains were deverted to the West Shore line.
            > It was still double track at that time and I would
            > have loved to see all that traffic going through
            > Canajoharie. The speed restrictions must have made
            > for some real time spent for drivers. A couple of
            > other notes, in the next to the last issue of the
            > Central Headlight, a story from a former employee
            > back in 1882 of how the Rodgers Locomotive Co. was
            > working on an order for the first 20 new locos for
            > the West Shore RR. Also, I finaly got a copy of
            > Trains mag. 3/59 with the FJ&G story. The next
            > story in the issue was from Lucius Beebe about the
            > private car builders. First time I have seen
            > Webster Wagners name in that mag. Always a person
            > of interest for me as he was a native of Palatine
            > Bridge. Found a used copy of Mansions on Rails by
            > Beebe and am waiting to seewhat else is said about
            > him. Charlie

            http://www.yahoo. com/r/hs

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 26, 2008
              Somewhere I might have a picture of the 1947 derailment.  If anybody wants it, I'll post it.

              -Aaron Keller

            • Gerald Snyder
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
                I just posted two more photos which I received today
                of the 1947 NYC derailment. Checked the archives and
                found the Mohawk Valley Democrat (Fonda weekly paper)
                from 7/24/47. The wreck was, of course, the lead
                story:
                "Fonda Was Scene of Bad Freight Wreck"
                "Worst Wreck of Kind on New York Central Tied Up All
                Four Tracks 33 Cars Crumpled Up When Locomotive Hits
                Small Work Car and is Derailed in Front of Station
                Property Damage Was Large But Only Injury was to
                Engineer Whose Wrist was Broken"

                The main details of the story are as Charlie said.
                The story notes that that the small workcar which the
                eastbound freight struck was carrying an air
                compressor and was located just opposite the FJ&G
                turntable when the collision occured. Derailing cars
                from the eastbound struck the cars of a westbound
                local freight, causing 5 boxcars to derail to the
                south and block the other tracks. 24 of the 33 cars
                involved were carrying coal, with 1500 tons ending up
                on the ground. Two work trains were sent from Albany
                and Utica for the cleanup, which was completed by the
                following Tuesday night. An estimated 25,000 people
                were in Fonda on Friday to view the scene, and 20
                railroad police were assigned to crowd control. The
                story notes that the FJ&G diesel was tied up in the
                Fonda freightyard by the wreck and wasn't freed until
                the following Wednesday.

                Looking for last minute shopping deals?