NYC Derailment 1947

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 24, 2008
      What switches did that tower across from the station control? Looks
      like most of the derailed cars were coal hoppers, probably WWI era,
      and one had an overheated journal box. Luckily the depot wasn't taken
      out or the Colonial Restaurant where I learned to love trains looking
      out the windows with my parents at Sunday Dinner. (Lunch that is)
      Saul
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 24, 2008
        Fonda's crossovers were located west of the Broadway crossing.  They were not universal; from the west you could cross from south to north, ie. from No. 1 to the running track.  The crossover from No. 1 to No. 2 was north to south.  The tower controlled the crossover to the running track, the FJ&G junction switch and possibly the switch to the spur on the south side of the main proceeding westward from the crossing west over the Cay. Creek.

        The main track numbering at Fonda was from the south 2,1,3,4.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 24, 2008
          According to the newspaper, the eastbound freight train hit a motorized work car on the east bound freight track causing the engine to jump the tracks, hit a work train on track 5, and come to rest in front of the depot.    A moment later, a westbound freight struck the wreckage and also derailed.  Only the engineer of the eastbound train was hurt, a fractured right hand that was treated at St. Mary's hospital.

          To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
          From: fjgbus@comcast. net
          Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:50:44 +0000

          What switches did that tower across from the station control? Looks
          like most of the derailed cars were coal hoppers, probably WWI era,
          and one had an overheated journal box. Luckily the depot wasn't taken
          out or the Colonial Restaurant where I learned to love trains looking
          out the windows with my parents at Sunday Dinner. (Lunch that is)
          Saul

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        • Gerald Snyder
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 24, 2008
            Charlie,
            Thanks for the information. I'll be up at History and
            Archives next week and check out the paper in the
            files.
            Jerry

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Charlie Vosburgh
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 25, 2008
              Gino; As a further note from the train wreck story,  freight trains were deverted to the West Shore line.  It was still double track at that time and I would have loved to see all that traffic going through Canajoharie.  The speed restrictions must have made for some real time spent for drivers.  A couple of other notes,  in the next to the last issue of the Central Headlight, a story from a former employee back in 1882 of how the Rodgers Locomotive Co. was working on an order for the first 20 new locos for the West Shore RR.  Also, I finaly got a copy of Trains mag. 3/59 with the FJ&G story.  The next story in the issue was from Lucius Beebe about the private car builders.  First time I have seen Webster Wagners name in that mag.  Always a person of interest for me as he was a native of Palatine Bridge.  Found a used copy of Mansions on Rails by Beebe and am waiting to seewhat else is said about him.  Charlie

              To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 25, 2008
                Charlie,
                Got another one for you - NYC at Yosts in late March
                of 1913. Floods washed out the line and the 4/12/13
                issue of ScientificAmerican has a shot of the coaches
                in the river. Any information on that one? Funny
                thing is that I bought a postcard about 3 years ago
                that wasn't identfied except in the message on the
                back that said it was an NYC derailment in the Mohawk
                Valley. Then I saw this paper on E-Bay a few months
                ago and there on the front was another picture of the
                same wreck from a different angle. Unfortunately whn
                I got it there was nothing in the story about the
                derailment - just a discussion of flooding in the
                eastern part of the country that year.
                Jerry

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • Charlie Vosburgh
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 25, 2008
                  Jerry;  That time period was when the present canal system was put in service.  The winchs on canal dams are the original from that time period.  I will have to on check on that for more info.  Seems like I have seen something about that, maybe your post cards.  Get back to you on that one.  Charlie.
                  --- Charlie Vosburgh <crvosburgh@citlink. net> wrote:

                  > Gino; As a further note from the train wreck story,
                  > freight trains were deverted to the West Shore line.
                  > It was still double track at that time and I would
                  > have loved to see all that traffic going through
                  > Canajoharie. The speed restrictions must have made
                  > for some real time spent for drivers. A couple of
                  > other notes, in the next to the last issue of the
                  > Central Headlight, a story from a former employee
                  > back in 1882 of how the Rodgers Locomotive Co. was
                  > working on an order for the first 20 new locos for
                  > the West Shore RR. Also, I finaly got a copy of
                  > Trains mag. 3/59 with the FJ&G story. The next
                  > story in the issue was from Lucius Beebe about the
                  > private car builders. First time I have seen
                  > Webster Wagners name in that mag. Always a person
                  > of interest for me as he was a native of Palatine
                  > Bridge. Found a used copy of Mansions on Rails by
                  > Beebe and am waiting to seewhat else is said about
                  > him. Charlie

                  http://www.yahoo. com/r/hs

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 26, 2008
                    Somewhere I might have a picture of the 1947 derailment.  If anybody wants it, I'll post it.

                    -Aaron Keller

                  • Gerald Snyder
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
                      I just posted two more photos which I received today
                      of the 1947 NYC derailment. Checked the archives and
                      found the Mohawk Valley Democrat (Fonda weekly paper)
                      from 7/24/47. The wreck was, of course, the lead
                      story:
                      "Fonda Was Scene of Bad Freight Wreck"
                      "Worst Wreck of Kind on New York Central Tied Up All
                      Four Tracks 33 Cars Crumpled Up When Locomotive Hits
                      Small Work Car and is Derailed in Front of Station
                      Property Damage Was Large But Only Injury was to
                      Engineer Whose Wrist was Broken"

                      The main details of the story are as Charlie said.
                      The story notes that that the small workcar which the
                      eastbound freight struck was carrying an air
                      compressor and was located just opposite the FJ&G
                      turntable when the collision occured. Derailing cars
                      from the eastbound struck the cars of a westbound
                      local freight, causing 5 boxcars to derail to the
                      south and block the other tracks. 24 of the 33 cars
                      involved were carrying coal, with 1500 tons ending up
                      on the ground. Two work trains were sent from Albany
                      and Utica for the cleanup, which was completed by the
                      following Tuesday night. An estimated 25,000 people
                      were in Fonda on Friday to view the scene, and 20
                      railroad police were assigned to crowd control. The
                      story notes that the FJ&G diesel was tied up in the
                      Fonda freightyard by the wreck and wasn't freed until
                      the following Wednesday.

                      Looking for last minute shopping deals?