1947 NYC Fonda Derailment

  • handyman756
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2008
      Evening,
      I just put up an album of photos of the 7/18/47 NYC derailment in
      Fonda. The pictures were taken the next day on the 19th. There are a
      couple more in the set that I should have by next week and will add.
      No details on the backstory yet - just the photos. Not exactly FJ&G,
      but you can see the track in a couple of the shots! Drop me a note if
      you want a high resolution scan of any of the shots.
      Jerry
    • Charlie Vosburgh
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2008
        Jerry;  I have the Amsterdam Recorder newspaper clipping of that train wreck dated 7/19/47 and it shows another picture of the , I believe a mohawk, on its side in front of the Fonda station.  Quite a long story goes with it, the patrons at the hotel  bar accross the street got quite a scare.  Charlie
        I just put up an album of photos of the 7/18/47 NYC derailment in
        Fonda. The pictures were taken the next day on the 19th. There are a
        couple more in the set that I should have by next week and will add.
        No details on the backstory yet - just the photos. Not exactly FJ&G,
        but you can see the track in a couple of the shots! Drop me a note if
        you want a high resolution scan of any of the shots.
        Jerry

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • Glenn J. Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 24, 2008
          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "handyman756" <handyman756@...> wrote:

          > Evening,
          > I just put up an album of photos of the 7/18/47 NYC derailment in
          > Fonda. The pictures were taken the next day on the 19th. There are a
          > couple more in the set that I should have by next week and will add.
          > No details on the backstory yet - just the photos. Not exactly FJ&G,
          > but you can see the track in a couple of the shots! Drop me a note if
          > you want a high resolution scan of any of the shots.
          > Jerry

          Jerry,

          Thanks for posting those pictures. They are the only ones I have ever seen of that
          derailment, other than one in the 1948 Fonda High School yearbook. From all the people
          present, it was quite the social event.

          Like others in the group, I'd like to read what the Recorder had to say at the time.

          Glenn
          Penacook, NH
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 25, 2008
            I too would like to see that article. I want to know if anyone was
            killed? That must have made quite a noise!

            Gino

            --
            http://ginosrailpage.com
            http://fjgrr.org