RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G RR's Alco S2 # 20 and #21

    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008
      Let's see 'em Aaron!

      Gino

      From: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com [mailto:FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Aaron Keller
      Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:28 AM
      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G RR's Alco S2 # 20 and #21

      I don't think the #21 was attached to a plate; I think the background was just painted cream (not orange).

      Somewhere I have about 20 or so tight shots of the locomotive(s) taken solely for modeling details such as this.  If anyone wants them, I will post a folder and scan them as time permits.

      -Aaron

      "d.michael holdridge" <dmike27@yahoo. com> wrote:

        I appreciate you that know the FJ&G locomotive paint detailing differences, and also appreciate you modelers that want to get it right.

      Paul Larner <pklarner@hotmail. com> wrote:
      Skip, I don't have an explanation as to "why" but that is the way they were.  Notice also that the fronts of the cabs are different colors as well, 20 orange and 21 black.  The number on the nose of the 21 is on line with the lettering on the sides whereas with the 20 the nose number is above.  The number boards are also distinctive: 20 white on black; 21 black on white.  They were a year apart and it would seem whomever wasn't looking that close.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: skip_8933@yahoo. com
      Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 19:15:47 +0000
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] S2's 20 and 21

      Hi all,

      I am working on getting some decals done for my S2s. It was brought to
      my attention that the front numbers on the S2s are different. It looks
      like 20 has the number applied to a plate that has a yellow
      background. On the other hand, 21 is on the orange background.

      Does anyone know why this is? My era is early 1950s, but I would
      suspect they were always this way.

      Skip

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008
        Paul,

        Do you guys call the CN "Cannuck National" north of the border? ;-)

        Gino

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008
          No, never heard it before now.

          Paul

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008
            When I heard that term for the first time it was in the Tupper Lake area and referred to a person whose blood was French Canadian and Indian.  It also implied a particular social status, hard working, but lacking wealth and in many cases opportunity (education).  My stepmother's father was an Adirondack guide, between WW1 and WW2, born in Waubeek.  I can't say we were taught not to use the term but it was reserved.

            On the north side of the border does it still carry the same connotation?

            PKL

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: p.charlie@...
            Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:48:19 -0500

            No, never heard it before now.

            Paul

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 23, 2008
              Hi Paul,

              I have nothing against being called a Canuck, just as I'm sure if I
              called you a Yank or some guy an Aussie nobody would bat an eye. When
              it's used in an e-mail that includes such things as "a large wanabee
              railroad like CN", or "The yellow crap is CN" it's obviously just Canada
              bashing.

              To take the time to bitch about CN not getting everything repainted
              overnight is odd when WC didn't get the Algoma Central power repainted
              overnight either but I don't remember hearing Mr Schoneman bitch about that.

              Paul

              Paul Larner wrote:
              > When I heard that term for the first time it was in the Tupper Lake
              > area and referred to a person whose blood was French Canadian and
              > Indian. It also implied a particular social status, hard working,
              > but lacking wealth and in many cases opportunity (education). My
              > stepmother's father was an Adirondack guide, between WW1 and WW2,
              > born in Waubeek. I can't say we were taught not to use the term but
              > it was reserved.
              >
              > On the north side of the border does it still carry the same
              > connotation?
              >
              > PKL
            • Robert Schoneman
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 23, 2008
                Paul-

                Thank you very much for your reply. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather.

                To be legal and honest, no disrespect or offense is meant by the Cannuck termonolgy.
                Harrison's business philosophy has turned many a family and community out here into
                wasteland, and he is not very well respected/liked.

                CN may have the best financial operating ratio in the nation, but they are asking for
                trouble. CP here has started to see the light and reinvesting back into it's
                infrastructure, and people. To better compete with the CN.

                I love trains, period. CN used to be my favorite railroad growing up. I'm not really mad
                at CN per se, just the normal business practices, profit maximization, and skimming at
                the expense of the line worker that gets me going. So what is new,,,?

                I have shots of FJ&G 20 & 21 as well that I can post by this weekend here.

                Bob
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 26, 2008
                  Gino,

                  I'll start scanning pictures as time becomes available.

                  And I apologize for the late replies to topics that are several days old.  I've been ridiculously busy.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 27, 2008
                    Aaron,,

                    I looked all over Ebay and couldn't find any DO Line shot.

                    Gino

                    On 1/26/08, Aaron Keller <akeller_1979@...> wrote:

                    Gino,

                    I'll start scanning pictures as time becomes available.

                    And I apologize for the late replies to topics that are several days old.  I've been ridiculously busy.

                    http://ginosrailpage.com
                    http://fjgrr.org
                    http://ginosmusicservice.com
                  • Robert Schoneman
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 27, 2008
                      Ditto here as well. I still have all these fj&g related disks here from last summer. If
                      they are desired out east, I will ship back, prepaid.

                      Robert Schoneman
                      Appleton, WI
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 27, 2008
                        Hey guys, I really liked the sound of Canuck National and wanted to tease
                        my Canadian friend on the list!  Didn't want to stir up trouble here!  Bob and Paul
                        are both great guys.

                        I'll stick to off-color jokes in the future!

                        Gino

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 28, 2008
                          Yes, Paul is a great guy; but I don't know about this Robert fellow though.

                          With interests that stem from Fulton Co, NY to the Milwaukee Road, and lives next to the
                          Cannuck National; I've been all over purgatory and back. One thing I haven't done is work
                          at Quad. ;-)

                          BUT, my employer is Canadian. So I do have close ties to Lucifer...

                          I know this is a public list. NOTHING you can say about the CN could be offensive enough
                          to us who've seen the damage they've done.

                          Now, I'd better behave and get myself to church on Wednesday.

                          :-)

                          Bob