Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: S2's 20 and 21

    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008
      Hi Bob,

      The "yellow crap" on CN side sills is reflective "Scotch Bright" used by
      CN since the early '70s with the delivery of their first order of GMD
      GP-40-2Ws, and then anything new or repainted into the "Zebra Stripe"
      scheme.

      Unfortunately the CN is plagued with Hunter Harris, former president of
      the IC, so you may want to address your displeasure over the WC
      situation to him. In the years since he's taken the helm of CN he's
      done a great job laying off most of CN's car control, car maintenance
      (no longer done in Canada, everything is sent to IC in the States for
      repair if it make it that far), nearly 75% of track maintenance has been
      laid off, and magically derailments have almost tripled. Harris was so
      pleased to have saved all that money he gave himself a whopping
      seventy-five million dollar bonus two years ago.

      Paul, who's grandfather die during his shift on the Canadian National.

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008
        Let's see 'em Aaron!

        Gino

        From: skip_8933@yahoo. com
        Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 19:15:47 +0000
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] S2's 20 and 21

        Hi all,

        I am working on getting some decals done for my S2s. It was brought to
        my attention that the front numbers on the S2s are different. It looks
        like 20 has the number applied to a plate that has a yellow
        background. On the other hand, 21 is on the orange background.

        Does anyone know why this is? My era is early 1950s, but I would
        suspect they were always this way.

        Skip

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008
          Paul,

          Do you guys call the CN "Cannuck National" north of the border? ;-)

          Gino

          href="http://robertschoneman.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1012937">http://robertschone man.rrpicturearc hives.net/ showPicture. aspx?id=1012937

          href="http://robertschoneman.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1002234">http://robertschone man.rrpicturearc hives.net/ showPicture. aspx?id=1002234

          href="http://robertschoneman.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=740248">http://robertschone man.rrpicturearc hives.net/ showPicture. aspx?id=740248

          href="http://robertschoneman.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=463401">http://robertschone man.rrpicturearc hives.net/ showPicture. aspx?id=463401

          > Well enough about WI and everyone else's RR's.
          >
          > Take Care all-
          >
          > Bob Schoneman
          > Appleton,
          WI

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008
            No, never heard it before now.

            Paul

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008
              When I heard that term for the first time it was in the Tupper Lake area and referred to a person whose blood was French Canadian and Indian.  It also implied a particular social status, hard working, but lacking wealth and in many cases opportunity (education).  My stepmother's father was an Adirondack guide, between WW1 and WW2, born in Waubeek.  I can't say we were taught not to use the term but it was reserved.

              On the north side of the border does it still carry the same connotation?

              PKL

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: p.charlie@...
              Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:48:19 -0500

              No, never heard it before now.

              Paul

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 23, 2008
                Hi Paul,

                I have nothing against being called a Canuck, just as I'm sure if I
                called you a Yank or some guy an Aussie nobody would bat an eye. When
                it's used in an e-mail that includes such things as "a large wanabee
                railroad like CN", or "The yellow crap is CN" it's obviously just Canada
                bashing.

                To take the time to bitch about CN not getting everything repainted
                overnight is odd when WC didn't get the Algoma Central power repainted
                overnight either but I don't remember hearing Mr Schoneman bitch about that.

                Paul

                Paul Larner wrote:
                > When I heard that term for the first time it was in the Tupper Lake
                > area and referred to a person whose blood was French Canadian and
                > Indian. It also implied a particular social status, hard working,
                > but lacking wealth and in many cases opportunity (education). My
                > stepmother's father was an Adirondack guide, between WW1 and WW2,
                > born in Waubeek. I can't say we were taught not to use the term but
                > it was reserved.
                >
                > On the north side of the border does it still carry the same
                > connotation?
                >
                > PKL
              • Robert Schoneman
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 23, 2008
                  Paul-

                  Thank you very much for your reply. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather.

                  To be legal and honest, no disrespect or offense is meant by the Cannuck termonolgy.
                  Harrison's business philosophy has turned many a family and community out here into
                  wasteland, and he is not very well respected/liked.

                  CN may have the best financial operating ratio in the nation, but they are asking for
                  trouble. CP here has started to see the light and reinvesting back into it's
                  infrastructure, and people. To better compete with the CN.

                  I love trains, period. CN used to be my favorite railroad growing up. I'm not really mad
                  at CN per se, just the normal business practices, profit maximization, and skimming at
                  the expense of the line worker that gets me going. So what is new,,,?

                  I have shots of FJ&G 20 & 21 as well that I can post by this weekend here.

                  Bob
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 26, 2008
                    Gino,

                    I'll start scanning pictures as time becomes available.

                    And I apologize for the late replies to topics that are several days old.  I've been ridiculously busy.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 27, 2008
                      Aaron,,

                      I looked all over Ebay and couldn't find any DO Line shot.

                      Gino

                      On 1/26/08, Aaron Keller <akeller_1979@...> wrote:

                      Gino,

                      I'll start scanning pictures as time becomes available.

                      And I apologize for the late replies to topics that are several days old.  I've been ridiculously busy.

                      http://ginosrailpage.com
                      http://fjgrr.org
                      http://ginosmusicservice.com
                    • Robert Schoneman
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 27, 2008
                        Ditto here as well. I still have all these fj&g related disks here from last summer. If
                        they are desired out east, I will ship back, prepaid.

                        Robert Schoneman
                        Appleton, WI
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 27, 2008
                          Hey guys, I really liked the sound of Canuck National and wanted to tease
                          my Canadian friend on the list!  Didn't want to stir up trouble here!  Bob and Paul
                          are both great guys.

                          I'll stick to off-color jokes in the future!

                          Gino

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 28, 2008
                            Yes, Paul is a great guy; but I don't know about this Robert fellow though.

                            With interests that stem from Fulton Co, NY to the Milwaukee Road, and lives next to the
                            Cannuck National; I've been all over purgatory and back. One thing I haven't done is work
                            at Quad. ;-)

                            BUT, my employer is Canadian. So I do have close ties to Lucifer...

                            I know this is a public list. NOTHING you can say about the CN could be offensive enough
                            to us who've seen the damage they've done.

                            Now, I'd better behave and get myself to church on Wednesday.

                            :-)

                            Bob