FJ&G Locomotives paint scheme

  • d.michael holdridge
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 22, 2008
                had a little computer glitch, so I'll try again.

        I appreciate you that know the FJ&G locomotive paint detailing differences, and also appreciate you modelers that want to get it right.
        As some of you undoubtedly know Atlas Model Trains just released a model of the Bath and Hammondsport Alco S-1 in "HO" scale.
        I too realize that a lot of modelers enjoy doing their own painting and detailing of their models.
        There also are lots and lots of model railroaders out there that don't have the time, or confidence ability, (no criticizing intended here), to paint up and/or detail their models.
        This being said,
      The Bath and Hammondsport S-1, (in both road numbers), that Atlas released, was not a special run,...... It was a production run, and it was probably helped into production, by interested people emailing requests, and parties willing to share with Atlas, paint scheme coloring, lettering, and specials painting details needed,  to see that these locomotives were locomotive models were manufactured accurately.
        The time is right for shortline model locomotives to be produced, which can be seriously helped along, by writing, emailing, and talking with the manufacturer at trade shows, such as the Amherst model train show in Springfield, Mass this weekend.
        Atlas makes a very credible Alco S-2 model too, that is just begging for the FJ&G paint schemes.

        I'm a new member to the FJ&J group, but have been a shortline-r for many years, and  followed the trackage of the FJ&G many times as I traveled through the area on my way to my aunts in Saratoga.
        Respectfully submitted, Mike Holdridge

      Paul Larner pklarner@... wrote:

        Skip, I don't have an explanation as to "why" but that is the way they were.  Notice also that the fronts of the cabs are different colors as well, 20 orange and 21 black.  The number on the nose of the 21 is on line with the lettering on the sides whereas with the 20 the nose number is above.  The number boards are also distinctive: 20 white on black; 21 black on white.  They were a year apart and it would seem whomever wasn't looking that close.

      From: skip_8933@yahoo. com
      Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 19:15:47 +0000

      Hi all,
        I am working on getting some decals done for my S2s. It was brought to
      my attention that the front numbers on the S2s are different. It looks
      like 20 has the number applied to a plate that has a yellow
      background. On the other hand, 21 is on the orange background.
        Does anyone know why this is? My era is early 1950s, but I would
      suspect they were always this way.
      Skip

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 22, 2008
        Sounds good Mike!  We need to hammer Atlas with requests for 20 and 21!!!  I'd love to see them
        in N-Scale too.  I couldn't detail the S2 in HO, I couldn't imagine painting up the N-Scale version.
        Maybe with the future Model Railroader article on the FJ&G, interest will be generated again in
        our neat little short-line...

        Gino

[...]

        ############ ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### #

        Paul Larner pklarner@hotmail. com wrote:

          Skip, I don't have an explanation as to "why" but that is the way they were.  Notice also that the fronts of the cabs are different colors as well, 20 orange and 21 black.  The number on the nose of the 21 is on line with the lettering on the sides whereas with the 20 the nose number is above.  The number boards are also distinctive: 20 white on black; 21 black on white.  They were a year apart and it would seem whomever wasn't looking that close.
         PKL

        ############ ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### ##

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 22, 2008
            dmike,

            Maybe it's not for Model Railroader, but an MR vet is in the planning stages of doing a
            new FJ&G article.  I sent Paul Charland and Steve Lamora his way and he's going to
            use their ideas.  Paul Charland can fill us in on the details.  I was only the middle man here!
            Never-the-less, I'm excited about the whole thing...

            Gino

            From: skip_8933@yahoo. com
            Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 19:15:47 +0000

            Hi all,

            http://ginosrailpage.com
            http://fjgrr.org
            http://ginosmusicservice.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 24, 2008
              Hi Mike, Gino, and All,

              I asked Tony Koester for an update and idea when the FJ&G article might
              appear in MR Planning and here is his reply:

              Hi, Paul.

              The FJ&G article is tentatively scheduled for MRP 2009. The cut-off for
              proposals for that issue is around March 1, when I put a proposal
              together for Kalmbach, but it appears we have enough material on hand or
              readily available to push ahead with planning for the 2009 issue.

              Of course, there are many variables that can delay the use of specific
              features. For example, we just learned that Allen McClelland will be
              selling his house and moving into a retirement community in April (they
              bought a duplex cottage there), so a lessons-learned piece on the second
              V&O has moved to the front of the line, causing something else to be
              delayed till 2010. But the FJ&G piece still has a decent shot at 2009,
              especially if we can get good photos of FJ&G models and/or, better yet,
              a well-done model railroad based on this line.

              A key part of the article will be a well-done track plan, even if we
              can't actually get photos of a finished or semi-finished layout, and
              that's the main concern I have at this time.

              Tony

              Gino's Railpage wrote:
              > dmike,
              >
              > Maybe it's not for Model Railroader, but an MR vet is in the planning stages
              > of doing a
              > new FJ&G article. I sent Paul Charland and Steve Lamora his way and he's
              > going to
              > use their ideas. Paul Charland can fill us in on the details. I was only
              > the middle man here!
              > Never-the-less, I'm excited about the whole thing...
              >
              > Gino
            • Glenn J. Williams
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 24, 2008
                --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...> wrote:

                > Sounds good Mike! We need to hammer Atlas with requests for 20 and
                > 21!!! I'd love to see them
                > in N-Scale too. I couldn't detail the S2 in HO, I couldn't imagine
                > painting up the N-Scale version.
                > Maybe with the future Model Railroader article on the FJ&G, interest
                > will be generated again in
                > our neat little short-line...
                >
                > Gino

                All,

                I will be attending the Big E train show in West Springfield, MA, on Saturday and will talk with
                the Atlas reps at that time.

                Glenn
                Penacook, NH
              • Glenn J. Williams
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 26, 2008
                  --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn J. Williams" <gjwilliams@...> wrote:

                  > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Sounds good Mike! We need to hammer Atlas with requests for 20 and
                  > > 21!!! I'd love to see them
                  > > in N-Scale too. I couldn't detail the S2 in HO, I couldn't imagine
                  > > painting up the N-Scale version.
                  > > Maybe with the future Model Railroader article on the FJ&G, interest
                  > > will be generated again in
                  > > our neat little short-line...
                  > >
                  > > Gino
                  >
                  > All,
                  >
                  > I will be attending the Big E train show in West Springfield, MA, on Saturday and will talk
                  with
                  > the Atlas reps at that time.
                  >
                  > Glenn
                  > Penacook, NH

                  As a follow-up to the above, I spoke briefly with an Atlas rep today and have a name and
                  email address. The rep assures me that requests such as ours will be forwarded up the
                  food chain.

                  Walthers will not be doing an S2 diesel switcher, as Atlas already has one.

                  Usually I only see Gino once a year, in August. Today, every time I turned around at the
                  Big E train show, there was Number 62. Steve Lamora was there as well. Good crowds,
                  good behaviour by everyone. They needed the fourth building this year.

                  Glenn
                  Penacook, NH
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 26, 2008

                    If swomebody gets seriously behind this and tells me where to email or write, I will not only lobby the manufacturer but order a set of engines myself.

                    By the way does anyone know the status of the FJ&G 45 tonner. Last i heard it was in Iowa or some such place.

                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 27, 2008
                      Hi Joe and All,

                      I've sent Chuck Friedlein an e-mail at Atlas with the suggestion. I
                      also let him know Tony Koester suggested a letter writing campaign that
                      would include people from this and other N scale interest groups but
                      asked him if he's interested in this sort of thing to show support for
                      the idea or not. I'd hate to have the guy's mailbox getting jammed up
                      with what he may see as "junk mail" and turn him off from the idea of an
                      N scale S-2.

                      I'll let you know if I get a reply.

                      Burlington Junction Railway 44, nee-FJ&G 30 Update

                      Would appear the unit is still on the property in Burlington Iowa but
                      was not on the roster of the official Burlington Junction Railway
                      roster, they're buying up Geeps and mostly EMD switchers, although they
                      also have at least one rare Alco C-415 and an MLW S-13.

                      http://railphotos.herkamur.ca/xwiki/bin/view/Photos/BJRY0044-20070804-01

                      Paul :-)

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 27, 2008
                        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, joseph Klapkowski <riverlinejoe@...> wrote:

                        > If swomebody gets seriously behind this and tells me where to email or write, I will not
                        only lobby the manufacturer but order a set of engines myself.

                        > [snip]

                        The person at Atlas to write/email is:

                        Cory Rothlisberger
                        Product Development
                        Atlas Model Railroad Co. Inc.
                        378 Florence Avenue
                        Hillside NJ 07205

                        His email is crothlisberger at atlasrr.com

                        One person should be their contact for providing paint plans, photos, and the like. It
                        avoids conflicting information.

                        Unfortunately, that person cannot be me due to family obligations.

                        It goes without say (even though I'm gonna say it anyway) that our requests should be
                        polite, reasonable, and short. I honestly don't know how much weight individual promises
                        to buy a given number of units will carry, but like chicken soup, it can't hurt.

                        Glenn
                        Penacook, NH
                      • Charlie Vosburgh
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 27, 2008
                          Joe; Read your story in Bridge Line on your trip in the dome car.  Wish they had that car in service back 05 when I went up to Montreal to see the Expos play the Dodgers for the last time.  Got on at Saratoga and return.  On trip back, some guy named Paul Larner was the engineer.  Still a nice view but that sounds better.  Charlie

                          To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                          From: skip_8933@yahoo. com
                          Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 19:15:47 +0000

                          Hi all,
                            I am working on getting some decals done for my S2s. It was brought to
                          my attention that the front numbers on the S2s are different. It looks
                          like 20 has the number applied to a plate that has a yellow
                          background. On the other hand, 21 is on the orange background.
                            Does anyone know why this is? My era is early 1950s, but I would
                          suspect they were always this way.
                          Skip

                          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 27, 2008
                            Ah It is a small world don't you think? How did you know who the engineer was ? Or is that why the view was so nice?

                            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                            From: crvosburgh@...
                            Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:37:06 -0500

                            To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 28, 2008
                              Joe;  When the train stopped for the customs check, the engine crew had to wait in the small station and I spotted Paul then.  I then gave my business card to the conductor and asked him to give it to Paul when they got A.R.  Paul called me when he got home.  Just in case you are wondering, I'm a Dodger fan.  Our family used to go to Montreal every year to see baseball games starting at Jarry Park and then Olympic Stadium.  My mothers brother was a National League umpire for 25 years and sometimes worked the Expos games.  Charlie.
                              Ah It is a small world don't you think? How did you know who the engineer was ? Or is that why the view was so nice?

                              To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                              From: crvosburgh@citlink. net
                              Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:37:06 -0500

                              To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 28, 2008
                                 I thought maybe you got a ride up front!

                                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                From: crvosburgh@...
                                Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 08:31:55 -0500

                                To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                                From: crvosburgh@citlink. net
                                Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:37:06 -0500

                                To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 28, 2008
                                  Ha, Paul only let his wife up front because she knew the signals.  It would have been illegal
                                  otherwise!

                                  Gino

                                   I thought maybe you got a ride up front!

                                  To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                                  From: crvosburgh@citlink. net
                                  Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 08:31:55 -0500

                                  To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                                  From: crvosburgh@citlink. net
                                  Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:37:06 -0500

                                  To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 29, 2008

                                            When the Dodgers left Brooklyn was bad enough but they wintered here in Vero Beach so that wasn't to bad BUT now they are dumping VB to go out west so it is time to find a new team ! ! !
                                                             Dave
                                    Chatrlie Vosburgh <crvosburgh@...> wrote:
                                    Joe;   Just in case you are wondering, I'm a Dodger fan.  Our family used to go to Montreal every year to see baseball games starting at Jarry Park and then Olympic Stadium.  My mothers brother was a National League umpire for 25 years and sometimes worked the Expos games.  Charlie.
                                      Dave;  If you live in Vero Beach,  can you recommend a good place to stay.  Would like to get down there first or second week to see Dodgertown and a couple of games.  I have cataract surgery on 2/27 so it depends on outcome.  Been to Dodger Stadium but never spring training.  Charlie
                                      Chatrlie Vosburgh <crvosburgh@citlink. net> wrote:
                                      Joe;   Just in case you are wondering, I'm a Dodger fan.  Our family used to go to Montreal every year to see baseball games starting at Jarry Park and then Olympic Stadium.  My mothers brother was a National League umpire for 25 years and sometimes worked the Expos games.  Charlie.
                                          Charlie;  Sorry,but just a snowbird for a couple of months.  Sister and I inherited a little house .  Used to be an inexpensive vaction. But now Fla. is going the way of NY--- raising & taxing everything.  As far as I can understand it the Dodgers are leaving Vero hanging and are still not saying if they are coming this year or not.      Dave