S2's 20 and 21

  • Skip
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 21, 2008
      Hi all,

      I am working on getting some decals done for my S2s. It was brought to
      my attention that the front numbers on the S2s are different. It looks
      like 20 has the number applied to a plate that has a yellow
      background. On the other hand, 21 is on the orange background.

      Does anyone know why this is? My era is early 1950s, but I would
      suspect they were always this way.

      Skip
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 21, 2008
        Skip, I don't have an explanation as to "why" but that is the way they were.  Notice also that the fronts of the cabs are different colors as well, 20 orange and 21 black.  The number on the nose of the 21 is on line with the lettering on the sides whereas with the 20 the nose number is above.  The number boards are also distinctive: 20 white on black; 21 black on white.  They were a year apart and it would seem whomever wasn't looking that close.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: skip_8933@...
        Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 19:15:47 +0000
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] S2's 20 and 21

        Hi all,

        I am working on getting some decals done for my S2s. It was brought to
        my attention that the front numbers on the S2s are different. It looks
        like 20 has the number applied to a plate that has a yellow
        background. On the other hand, 21 is on the orange background.

        Does anyone know why this is? My era is early 1950s, but I would
        suspect they were always this way.

        Skip

      • d.michael holdridge
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008
            I appreciate you that know the FJ&G locomotive paint detailing differences, and also appreciate you modelers that want to get it right.

          To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008

            To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008
              I don't think the #21 was attached to a plate; I think the background was just painted cream (not orange).

              Somewhere I have about 20 or so tight shots of the locomotive(s) taken solely for modeling details such as this.  If anyone wants them, I will post a folder and scan them as time permits.

              -Aaron

              To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008
                  I suspect Paul is correct.

                  Apology on subject, but proves a point. Over here with the Cannuck National, we see paint
                  changes almost daily, pending the unit. Granted a small obscure wannabe regional doesn't
                  compare to a large wanabee railroad like CN; but it has boiled down to what's in stock in
                  warehouse, and fastest, er cheapest method of recitifying and getting back on road.
                  Regardless of age of unit.

                  In these two views I've taken over the past few weeks, the IC, er CN SD70's undergo
                  changes as sill stripes fade or wear off. On a fair portion of units now, we see patch
                  jobs: Yellow sillstrpe, a section of white, yellow, white then none at all. Looks horrid.

                  Despite the lack of a bath, the trailing SD70 is painted as they were built for IC. The
                  yellow crap is CN. ( As we learn now recently as a suggestion from the FRA )

                  http://robertschoneman.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1012937

                  Same is true for IC 6011, whatever is in stock:

                  http://robertschoneman.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1002234

                  I suspect sill stripe will be changed next time she makes it back to her home shop, 200+
                  miles away. CN closed the two big shops here in WI, and cut 80% of the workforce. VERY
                  slowly do they repaint these into CN colors, usually when the unit has wore back down to
                  it's primer base.

                  At least one of our our small regionals know how to do it right:

                  http://robertschoneman.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=740248

                  ...as well as one of yours:

                  http://robertschoneman.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=463401

                  Well enough about WI and everyone else's RR's.

                  Take Care all-

                  Bob Schoneman
                  Appleton, WI
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008
                    Hi Bob,

                    The "yellow crap" on CN side sills is reflective "Scotch Bright" used by
                    CN since the early '70s with the delivery of their first order of GMD
                    GP-40-2Ws, and then anything new or repainted into the "Zebra Stripe"
                    scheme.

                    Unfortunately the CN is plagued with Hunter Harris, former president of
                    the IC, so you may want to address your displeasure over the WC
                    situation to him. In the years since he's taken the helm of CN he's
                    done a great job laying off most of CN's car control, car maintenance
                    (no longer done in Canada, everything is sent to IC in the States for
                    repair if it make it that far), nearly 75% of track maintenance has been
                    laid off, and magically derailments have almost tripled. Harris was so
                    pleased to have saved all that money he gave himself a whopping
                    seventy-five million dollar bonus two years ago.

                    Paul, who's grandfather die during his shift on the Canadian National.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008
                      Let's see 'em Aaron!

                      Gino

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008
                        Paul,

                        Do you guys call the CN "Cannuck National" north of the border? ;-)

                        Gino

                        href="http://robertschoneman.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1012937">http://robertschone man.rrpicturearc hives.net/ showPicture. aspx?id=1012937

                        href="http://robertschoneman.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1002234">http://robertschone man.rrpicturearc hives.net/ showPicture. aspx?id=1002234

                        href="http://robertschoneman.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=740248">http://robertschone man.rrpicturearc hives.net/ showPicture. aspx?id=740248

                        href="http://robertschoneman.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=463401">http://robertschone man.rrpicturearc hives.net/ showPicture. aspx?id=463401

                        > Well enough about WI and everyone else's RR's.
                        >
                        > Take Care all-
                        >
                        > Bob Schoneman
                        > Appleton,
                        WI

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008
                          No, never heard it before now.

                          Paul

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 22, 2008
                            When I heard that term for the first time it was in the Tupper Lake area and referred to a person whose blood was French Canadian and Indian.  It also implied a particular social status, hard working, but lacking wealth and in many cases opportunity (education).  My stepmother's father was an Adirondack guide, between WW1 and WW2, born in Waubeek.  I can't say we were taught not to use the term but it was reserved.

                            On the north side of the border does it still carry the same connotation?

                            PKL

                            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                            From: p.charlie@...
                            Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:48:19 -0500

                            No, never heard it before now.

                            Paul

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 23, 2008
                              Hi Paul,

                              I have nothing against being called a Canuck, just as I'm sure if I
                              called you a Yank or some guy an Aussie nobody would bat an eye. When
                              it's used in an e-mail that includes such things as "a large wanabee
                              railroad like CN", or "The yellow crap is CN" it's obviously just Canada
                              bashing.

                              To take the time to bitch about CN not getting everything repainted
                              overnight is odd when WC didn't get the Algoma Central power repainted
                              overnight either but I don't remember hearing Mr Schoneman bitch about that.

                              Paul

                              Paul Larner wrote:
                              > When I heard that term for the first time it was in the Tupper Lake
                              > area and referred to a person whose blood was French Canadian and
                              > Indian. It also implied a particular social status, hard working,
                              > but lacking wealth and in many cases opportunity (education). My
                              > stepmother's father was an Adirondack guide, between WW1 and WW2,
                              > born in Waubeek. I can't say we were taught not to use the term but
                              > it was reserved.
                              >
                              > On the north side of the border does it still carry the same
                              > connotation?
                              >
                              > PKL
                            • Robert Schoneman
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 23, 2008
                                Paul-

                                Thank you very much for your reply. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather.

                                To be legal and honest, no disrespect or offense is meant by the Cannuck termonolgy.
                                Harrison's business philosophy has turned many a family and community out here into
                                wasteland, and he is not very well respected/liked.

                                CN may have the best financial operating ratio in the nation, but they are asking for
                                trouble. CP here has started to see the light and reinvesting back into it's
                                infrastructure, and people. To better compete with the CN.

                                I love trains, period. CN used to be my favorite railroad growing up. I'm not really mad
                                at CN per se, just the normal business practices, profit maximization, and skimming at
                                the expense of the line worker that gets me going. So what is new,,,?

                                I have shots of FJ&G 20 & 21 as well that I can post by this weekend here.

                                Bob
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 26, 2008
                                  Gino,

                                  I'll start scanning pictures as time becomes available.

                                  And I apologize for the late replies to topics that are several days old.  I've been ridiculously busy.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 27, 2008
                                    Aaron,,

                                    I looked all over Ebay and couldn't find any DO Line shot.

                                    Gino

                                    On 1/26/08, Aaron Keller <akeller_1979@...> wrote:

                                    Gino,

                                    I'll start scanning pictures as time becomes available.

                                    And I apologize for the late replies to topics that are several days old.  I've been ridiculously busy.

                                    http://ginosrailpage.com
                                    http://fjgrr.org
                                    http://ginosmusicservice.com
                                  • Robert Schoneman
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 27, 2008
                                      Ditto here as well. I still have all these fj&g related disks here from last summer. If
                                      they are desired out east, I will ship back, prepaid.

                                      Robert Schoneman
                                      Appleton, WI
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 27, 2008
                                        Hey guys, I really liked the sound of Canuck National and wanted to tease
                                        my Canadian friend on the list!  Didn't want to stir up trouble here!  Bob and Paul
                                        are both great guys.

                                        I'll stick to off-color jokes in the future!

                                        Gino

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 28, 2008
                                          Yes, Paul is a great guy; but I don't know about this Robert fellow though.

                                          With interests that stem from Fulton Co, NY to the Milwaukee Road, and lives next to the
                                          Cannuck National; I've been all over purgatory and back. One thing I haven't done is work
                                          at Quad. ;-)

                                          BUT, my employer is Canadian. So I do have close ties to Lucifer...

                                          I know this is a public list. NOTHING you can say about the CN could be offensive enough
                                          to us who've seen the damage they've done.

                                          Now, I'd better behave and get myself to church on Wednesday.

                                          :-)

                                          Bob