Help Requested

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2008
      A friend of mine has asked me to find out what I can about a glass insulator. While this may not be railroad related I also do not know that it is not. Since the list members are a pretty knowledgable bunch, I seek your assistance.

      I have in my hand, a green glass insulator. It is 3 1/2 inches high and 2 1/4 inches wide at the base.

      itis marked NO 10 MADE IN USA and on the opposite side LYNCHBURG  and in an oval "L".

      Is this anything unusual or is it pretty common?

      Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Get it now!
    • Gerald Snyder
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2008
        Joe,
        I did a little checking on the internet and found the
        following information. The insulator was made by the
        Lynchburg Glass Works in Lynchburg, Virgina between
        November 1923 and May 1925. The company was only in
        production for a total of 44 weeks during that period.
        Insulators were their main product along with some
        mason jars and bottles - they produced about 2 million
        insulators during their short existance. The
        production facility was served by a spur from the
        Southern Railway. The most common color glass was an
        aqua - green, blue, pink, and milky aqua were also
        produced and are more collectable. The markings you
        describe are typical - the L in the oval is the
        company trademark. A quick check of E-bay showed a
        pair of aqua #10's selling for $25.00.
        Jerry

        --- joseph Klapkowski <riverlinejoe@...>
        wrote:

        > A friend of mine has asked me to find out what I can
        > about a glass insulator. While this may not be
        > railroad related I also do not know that it is not.
        > Since the list members are a pretty knowledgable
        > bunch, I seek your assistance.
        >
        > I have in my hand, a green glass insulator. It is 3
        > 1/2 inches high and 2 1/4 inches wide at the base.
        >
        > itis marked NO 10 MADE IN USA and on the opposite
        > side LYNCHBURG and in an oval "L".
        >

        > Is this anything unusual or is it pretty common?

        > Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows
        > Live.

        http://www.windowslive.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_Wave2_powerofwindows_012008

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 14, 2008
          There is an insulator-collector-society out there.  I had a girlfriend who's dad was big into them.  Just like we
          shell out big bucks for postcards, they shell out for the glass insulator...

          Gino