O and HO Collection

  • handyman756
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2008
      First, a slightly belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to
      everyone!

      Please forgive if this is slightly off topic, but I know someone in
      the group can help me out. Just before Christmas a friend of mine at
      work lost his Dad and he is now in the process of cleaning out his
      belongings. Among them he found a number O and OH items, most wrapped
      in newspapers from the 1960's, and is putting together a list of what
      is there. He asked me if I knew anyone that would be willing to take
      a look at the collection and let him know what a fair value was for it
      so he knows what he has if/when he decides to dispose of it. Anyone
      have any suggestions or recommendations for a contact? The stuff is
      currently somewhere around Schenectady.
      Thanks,
      Jerry
    • Charlie Vosburgh
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2008
        Jerry;  Is that O scale or Lionel O.  I have a 2005 Greenberg's price guide for Lionel if that helps.  Charlie
        First, a slightly belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to
        everyone!

        Please forgive if this is slightly off topic, but I know someone in
        the group can help me out. Just before Christmas a friend of mine at
        work lost his Dad and he is now in the process of cleaning out his
        belongings. Among them he found a number O and OH items, most wrapped
        in newspapers from the 1960's, and is putting together a list of what
        is there. He asked me if I knew anyone that would be willing to take
        a look at the collection and let him know what a fair value was for it
        so he knows what he has if/when he decides to dispose of it. Anyone
        have any suggestions or recommendations for a contact? The stuff is
        currently somewhere around Schenectady.
        Thanks,
        Jerry

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • Saul Kalbfeld
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2008
          If the owner is an NMRA membership, his local organization might be able to assist. In general, the most valuable items are brass locomotives and unbuilt craftsman kits. I am no expert but there are fellows where I live that could evaluate the O scale items. In general, plastic rolling stock and inexpensive locomotives have limited value. I myself am always  interested in HO Branchline, Intermeountain and Red Caboose kits if any are included. I know that Central Hobby Supply in Syracuse might also be interested in the collection. In any case, don't sell anything until a true value can be established.

          Good Luck,
          Saul Kalbfeld
          Secretary--Division 8 NCR-NMRA
          Oakland and Macomb Counties, Michigan
        • Gerald Snyder
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2008
            Charlie and Saul,
            Thanks for the information. At this point I don't
            have any details and my friend isn't into model
            railroading (he's an avid firearms collector) so he's
            totally in the dark. He's putting together a list and
            will take some photos so once he gets that to me I
            will be in a better position to really know what to
            chase down. He did say that he thought some of the
            stuff was Lionel.
            Jerry
            --- Saul Kalbfeld <fjgbus@...> wrote:

            > If the owner is an NMRA membership, his local
            > organization might be able to assist. In general,
            > the most valuable items are brass locomotives and
            > unbuilt craftsman kits. I am no expert but there are
            > fellows where I live that could evaluate the O scale
            > items. In general, plastic rolling stock and
            > inexpensive locomotives have limited value. I myself
            > am always interested in HO Branchline,
            > Intermeountain and Red Caboose kits if any are
            > included. I know that Central Hobby Supply in
            > Syracuse might also be interested in the collection.
            > In any case, don't sell anything until a true value
            > can be established.
            >
            > Good Luck,
            > Saul Kalbfeld
            > Secretary--Division 8 NCR-NMRA
            > Oakland and Macomb Counties, Michigan

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          • Mike Berger
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 17, 2008
              Too bad the guy wants to give them up. Old Lionel is great stuff - even on a shelf.
              That being said, I suggest he be very careful in evaluating the value of the trains. In its
              heyday, Lionel spread more than 5 million train sets around the US. You can almost bet
              "everyone" has a set or a few pieces in a box in their basement.
              Greenberg books are fine but they are only a guide. Unless Lionel, for example, is in
              virtually mint condition in an original box a serious collector won't touch it, and the
              amount you can sell it for is relatively small unless it is very old or rare. Prices you may
              see at a "train show" are not good indicators of what he can get. Rule of thumb is that
              anyone who buys for resale, for example, will give you about 40% of what he plans to sell
              it for.
              I've bought and sold Lionel (I'm not a dealer). For example, I just sold a ZW 275W
              transformer for $225 (there are plenty on ebay if you want to see what I'm talking about). I
              tossed in a box with it - it was worn and water-stained, but still worth more than $25. I
              suggest you make a list of the Lionel items paying particular attention to the "number" on
              the item (every item has a number) and do a quick ebay check vs. Greenberg. He might
              also try selling on craigslist (www.craigslist.org) - it is free. But be careful. Lot of people
              try to scam you there. Always use the anonymous email and never include your name,
              address, phone or home email. Tell them to include their phone number and call them to
              discuss.
              Sorry about staying off topic - but trains are trains.

              --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Vosburgh" <crvosburgh@...> wrote:

              > Jerry; Is that O scale or Lionel O. I have a 2005 Greenberg's price guide for Lionel if
              that helps. Charlie

              AM