Re: [FJGRailroad] Another Dye Business?

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2007
      Morrel Vrooman engineering and construction company had a contract to repave third avenue, in Gloversville. They dug out all the clay down two or three feet, installed new storm and sanitary sewers, filled it back in with sand and paved it with concrete. This took all one summer. They had a power shovel and a large gasoline engine powered paving machine which mixed the concrete and dumped it where needed. It was a great education to watch all of this. One of their engineers was named Nagle (who lived on Yale  Street).

      Mal Horton
      From: p.charlie@sympatico .ca
      Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 07:51:51 -0400

      Hi Paul,

      Not picking on you... really, just trying to pick your brain! Actually
      I was hoping my questions would generate more participation from the
      group as a whole and not rely on just one person. In the case of Dye
      Oil, as it's not a customer (although I'd hope they received product on
      the team track), I could draw it without ever knowing what their name
      was or what they did but it's a way for me to learn more about the line,
      and maybe a way for others to learn as well.

      Now, this is a bit sticky, do I ask about Morrell Vrooman or not...

      Paul :-)

      Paul Larner wrote:
      > Funny I just had the thought that the oil company might have been Dye
      > Oil. You're asking me to recall random knowledge from a period I
      > really wasn't paying attention. Someone else may recall if that
      > company, Dye Oil, was in Gloversville and Saul or another of us
      > living in the city at the time may recall the explosion. I think it
      > was a Sunday night; IIRC we were watching the Ed Sullivan show; early
      > fifties.

    • Robert Schoneman
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2007
        I have heard of old farts who could remember everything from their childhood but not the
        past week. I hope I'm not about to cross that line..

        PKL

        Sorry Paul, out of luck. That proverbial line is fluid and shifts like the wind. Most
        likely you don't even know it until you don't even know what your talking about. Has no
        age boundry as well.

        ...like me now.

        Usually is accompanied by the taste of ones foot in mouth.

        Still have many more pics to scan for group.

        Hi temps this week to be in 30's and snow flurries. I'll send it your way.

        Regards,

        Bob Schoneman
        Appleton, WI